Save TSN 690

Willey101

Maybe they'll pull CJAD's current format and move TSN there? That's a real bummer if it's really gone. There's nobody on the radio I like between 10-12, so I'd recently started listening to 990 online. I knew there'd obviously be hockey talk, but I really enjoyed that they also talk quite a bit of soccer. Two sports that get largely ignored by the local sports radio here, despite having professional teams in both sports.

When you're flipping from an English station to a French station, the CRTC pretty much auto-approve without even looking.

Plus, this is a part of the massive Astral acquisition, and the CRTC isn't all that interested in stopping that deal.

I can say that in all likelihood, within 5 years, the rules will change and companies will be able to own more stations in one city. Then you might see TSN radio return in Quebec.

Personally I listen to TSN 990 about 10 hours per day while in the car and at work. Simply put Montreal radio sucks ass. I can't stand listening to the bad music and horrible talk shows. I'll likely tune into RDS anyway since I am bilingual but not hearing Shaun Starr, Price, Melnyk, Teaman will leave a void. And yes I did leave out Marinaro who I place in the same category as Hockeyy Insiderr

I'm a big fan of the programming on that station. This news sucks. And with the addition of Ted Bird, I thought they were set up for years to come. And that's nothing against Denis Casavant, who I also enjoyed. I hope something can be done.

• 8 months later...

http://www.SaveTSN690.ca

This is an appeal to all Habs fans to sign the online petition to help convince the owners of the best Montreal English sports radio station to apply to the CRTC for an official exception to their rules to allow the company to continue to run the radio station. This station has great radio personalities, shows, and interesting local sports discusssions, with a strong focus on the Habs. Recently former Montreal Canadien's forward Chris "Knuckles" Nilan started his own talk shown in the 1-3pm time slot, and I'm hoping this really good show will be allowed to continue.

The more signatures on the petition, the better. Please spend a minute to support a solid cause.

http://www.SaveTSN690.ca

I'm signing it ... it's great for those of us living in the US to follow our Habs.

As a Canadian, I have to say that the systematic removal of English from the Quebec landscape would make some totalitarian regimes stop to take notes. On a lighter note, I say TSN 690 should stay. :halm:

Signed it but CRTC be damned. Take it to satellite radio. The days of AM/FM are nearly over. As are the days of government control of what we hear. Waiting for Pono to come out myself.

I would sign it if I were Canadian and my "signature" would make a difference. I listened online until my work figured out I was streaming audio and blocked it. I don't know what they have against streaming audio, considering we're allowed to listed to mp3 players and radios. Certainly it isn't a bandwidth issue. I was thrilled to find out they put out podcasts, which I now download every night before bed and listen to the next day. I wish they'd put up more content, though. I'd gladly slap down a few bucks a month to get access to full length shows.