Shane Doan, is he serious, and do we want him?

hankhab

According to Spectors hockey, one GM said he believes there is a 90% chance Doan signs with the Coyotes this year, so chances are he is not moving.

The longer the Coyotes sale situation goes on, the more likely Doan signs with another team. I still don't think the habs are favorites, as any team with cap space would be at least playing with the idea of bringing him in.

Maybe he will go to the Rangers they still have 14 mil in cap space.

Thats quite possible, they would certainly be Cup Favorites, even without Doan, it would be a great move by the Rangers.

Thats quite possible, they would certainly be Cup Favorites, even without Doan, it would be a great move by the Rangers.

Even with their star power they still have some holes in the top six (Haglein and Keiger)

Doan would almost put them in the untouchable zone haha, course till Gaborik gets injured :P

Wow Doan and his agent are smart this will survey drive his $ up for interested teams.

I really hope the Habs sign him for 1-2 years which will ensure Gomez gets buried.

Wow Doan and his agent are smart this will survey drive his $ up for interested teams.

I really hope the Habs sign him for 1-2 years which will ensure Gomez gets buried.

You mean in the minors, right?

:ph34r:

I would love to sign Shane Doan.

Doan-Plex-Gio would be a serious line, health permitting.

Just imagine the knowledge he would drop on our younger forwards, in particular Patch.

It'd be great, but you have to think it's a long shot. Doan would presumably much rather play with a contender like New York or Vancouver than be part of a 2-3 year retooling in Montreal. The only way we sign him is if we give him huge money and huge term - not what I'd expect to see from a team that apparently had no interest in sensible short-term fixes like Jagr or Whitney because it 'wanted to leave room for young players.'

I'm still irked that we passed on those options, see. Anyway, Doan won't be in the CH, it's not a fit.

I'm impressed Doan actually wants to visit our facilities, when he is still (wrongly) considered public enemy in Quebec for racial comments he is blamed to have made to french-speaking officials.

Let's face it, our only hope reside in his cousin Carey's ability to lure him here. He would fit very well here for sure. But the thing is he would fit well in any team, especially the Rangers as was suggested in this thread.

Would bring leadership and fill a hole in the top 6 without giving a certain d-man away :) hopefully the Price connection works and the previous rumors of a 4 year $30MM offer on the table from another team were exaggerated, 4 year $20MM would be max for a guy his age

Would bring leadership and fill a hole in the top 6 without giving a certain d-man away :) hopefully the Price connection works and the previous rumors of a 4 year $30MM offer on the table from another team were exaggerated, 4 year $20MM would be max for a guy his age

Don't you worry, some a-hole will give him $20 billion per season for 20 years. Forget him in the CH, it ain't gonna happen.

I can't see Doan's interest being anymore then driving his price up. If he leaves phoenix he will want to go to a contender AND hit a contract home run. I think the rangers, flyers or kings will get him.

I can't see Doan's interest being anymore then driving his price up. If he leaves phoenix he will want to go to a contender AND hit a contract home run. I think the rangers, flyers or kings will get him.

Yeah if he's playing that game to drive his price up they can have him. Might be tough to still call the Flyers a contender, they've lost Carle who was arguably their best d-man and Jagr and so far failed to add anyone tho not from lack of trying - looks really good on them.

I think he is just doing the ground work waiting for some clarity to the Phoenix situation. If it becomes clear that he has to move he has enough input to select. I think our chances are slim, but I do know blood is thicker than water.

I think he's probably meeting with the teams which have expressed serious interest in him, and where he would actually like to play. I'm not sure the Habs are going to offer him the same kind of money he'd get in Philly or NY, but you never know, I guess. If he's looking for a huge contract, I'd sooner pass at this point.

It's probably as simple as Price telling him, 'hey, Montreal is great, you should come up here, you'll have a great time.' That coupled with Montreal's interest leads him to take a short working holiday in one of North America's coolest cities. Once he gets serious about the nitty-gritty Montreal will drop away. I read almost nothing into this.

I think we have a good a shot as any. The fact that he wants to stay in Pheonix more than anything tells me signing with a cup favorite is not his biggest priority. Maybe he will wanna play with his cousin! I say try and get him for 2-3 years.

There is definitely a chance but why come to MTL when you can make more money on a contending team? Is it because he wants to re-kindle his relationship with his 2nd cousin?

Ye of little faith.

Despite the collective disdain of the Goat, lets not forget the bold moves to trade Halak for Eller and sign the steal of last year's free agent forward crop: Erik Cole. If MB can match PG's prowess and scoop Doan I will be impressed. Not only because of the scoop, but because it will dictate another strong move - the demotion of Gomez to the A.

It is possible, but we will have to pay. WIth Gomez gone, it is feasible. I say do it. We have no prospect in the system to match him. He is the definition of durable and will be good for 45-65 points for a few years playing with the likes of Gally, Pleks, Patches, Cole, Gio and DD... And we will have a hard time contending without a top six winger as replacement for Cams.

If we're really interested in Doan, who will command a hefty salary and a term of (I'd guess) at least three years, then it begs the question of why we showed apparently zero interest in Whitney, Jagr or even Latendresse, all of whom represented far less risky commitments financially and in terms of contract length, yet could have done a good job of filling the roster left by Cammalleri.

MB can't have it both ways. Either he wants to leave that top-6 roster slot vacant for the kids/Bourque, or he behaved negligently in failing to try to fill it with one of the three low-risk options listed above. This, to me, is one of these real managerial head-scratchers, kinda like the Goat's refusal to even have preliminary, informal contract talks with Wiz.