Shane Doan, is he serious, and do we want him?

hankhab

Gomez is Montreal's problem and it'll be Montreal who has to do something about it. We're not going to be able to unload him somewhere else.

Bergevin is going to play good PR to the NHLPA but he has to play his ass off. Molson said he was fine in so many words of burying a contract in the AHL and Bergevin simply didn't see the purpose of a buy out, which he was correct on.

Gomez is Montreal's problem and it'll be Montreal who has to do something about it. We're not going to be able to unload him somewhere else.

Bergevin is going to play good PR to the NHLPA but he has to play his ass off. Molson said he was fine in so many words of burying a contract in the AHL and Bergevin simply didn't see the purpose of a buy out, which he was correct on.

Yeah, a buyout at this point still has us stuck with a large cap hit for the next 2 seasons, so its pretty much out of the question, unless there is an amnesty period like last CBA, Bergevin may want to revisit at that point. I've stated before why a demotion to the AHL is the best idea for all concerned. Bergevin, of course, is not going to come out now and say it, it would be totally classless to do so at this point. If by some chance we do sign Doan, then Gomez fate is sealed.

Like I said the only team I can imagine acquiring him would be Phoenix but even then the likelyhood is so slim.

With that said I would not be surprised to see the Habs enter the season with Gomez in the line-up. H struggled in Martin's system because of the dependence on defense but with Therrien's up beat, high tempo style I would honestly not be surprised to see him bounce back.

I am not saying he is going to be a 70-80 point player but would we be happy with a 50 point season?

I don't know, so many questions, we know there will be changes but I wonder where. Will we really start the season with Plekanec, Eller, Desharnais, Gomez, Galchenyuk and Nokelainen on this team?

Gomez is done. It's puzzling because he still has the wheels. What he seems to lack is the willingness to take any degree of physical punishment whatsoever.

But let's say he isn't done and just went through a rough patch, like Ernie Els. What would constitute acceptable performance?

Gomez's points totals will always be depressed because he can't shoot his way out of a paper bag. At his best he was an elite playmaker. You have to look at assists. I'd need a minimum of about 45 assists from him to be able to say he is delivering value. Add to that his traditional 10-15 goals, you've got the 'real' Scott Gomez.

But even then - does he bring anything that Desharnais does not? And DD is infinitely cheaper and younger.

Gomez is done. It's puzzling because he still has the wheels. What he seems to lack is the willingness to take any degree of physical punishment whatsoever.

But let's say he isn't done and just went through a rough patch, like Ernie Els. What would constitute acceptable performance?

Gomez's points totals will always be depressed because he can't shoot his way out of a paper bag. At his best he was an elite playmaker. You have to look at assists. I'd need a minimum of about 45 assists from him to be able to say he is delivering value. Add to that his traditional 10-15 goals, you've got the 'real' Scott Gomez.

But even then - does he bring anything that Desharnais does not? And DD is infinitely cheaper and younger.

At this point leadership in the locker room, character and respect among his peers and experience. I wonder for instance what would happen if Gomez had an elite goal scorer.

I really like the guy but that contract makes me want to push him out the door even though I want to see him play.

In a limited role, I'd be happy with 10g-30a-40pts.

Looks like the players are building in the proposed 22% salary rollback into their contract demands, tough to explain a $3MM raise for a guy Doan's age any other way, sad thing is he'll get it and drive the market up for any other useful UFAs. At this point can't see MB doing much else until training camp and see who wins a spot and then move the odd men out. Last thing we want to do is bring on another bloated salary that handcuffs us from resigning DD & Pacs, they won't come cheap - if they repeat last years numbers Max will be $5MM & David $3.5MM minimum, throw in Galchenyuk's $3MM+ ELC and even with Gomez gone still gunna be tight against the Cap.

For a guy his age, Doans asking price is a bit steep (30 million/4 years). Would he be worth that to a team like the Habs? I'm not sure.

A bit steep? Try insane. If that's really what he is asking, it's 100% not worth it.

I will go the four years but for AK at 3M. Done. A reasonable replacement if your front guys go down. Which they will.

I think the NYI would be interested in bringing in a guy whose cap hit is significantly more than his salary, as would Phoenix if they are unable to keep Doan.

If you believe rumours, Gomez turned down a trade to the Islanders last year.

True, that was also last year.

Give Gomez the option... Islanders or Hamilton, and he might change his tune.

However I also think at this time last year, Gomez was coming off one bad year... now its two bad years which means it makes it tougher to trade him.

The best thing that could happen to his value would be if Visnovsky wins his grievance and stays as a member of the Ducks. Hes a guy with a big cap hit but low salary who the Isles hoped to use to get them to the floor.

The Islanders are still paying for Yashin.

Giggles.

I actually laughed aloud at that. Had a stressful day and that kinda washed it all away :P