Louis Leblanc: Potential

Looking at the current forwards, unless Montreal makes some moves there is good possibility that Louis Leblanc plays in the AHL.

HT: 6"

WT: 178lbs

Handed: Right

GP: 42 G: 5 A: 5 PTS: 10 +/-: +3

Faceoff %: 43.8%

Hits: 68

Blocked Shots: 18

Leblanc had barely any time on the PP or SH and was only averaging around 11 minutes a game. His AHL numbers were 11 goals and 11 assists for 22 points in 31 games with a -10. Pretty neat that he had symmetrical goals and assists in both leagues.

So Leblanc was pretty solid but wasn't anything special. He seems to be a very cerebral player who will get better with experience but he also needs to gain some weight over the summer. However, there doesn't seem to be room for him right now unless Ryan White plays a 13th forward role.

So;

What do you believe is Leblanc's potential?

Where should Leblanc play in 2012/2013?

Should Louis pluck his eyebrows?

Discuss!

I think the forum's silence on the matter reflects our knowledge on his possible potential :/

Personally I have not seen enough of him to judge... but maybe a second liner who pulls around 20 a year and plays well in most areas of the game?

Eh, it's the summer. Maybe someone will call him a bust and we'll at least have a decent argument on our hands ;)

I hope people say he is bust and he goes Max Pac on our ass haha!

I like him a lot. He has good hockey sense and is very focused on the ice. He has average speed and agility on skates, his shot is also average, but I believe that he will do better than most because of his intensity and intelligence.

I don't believe that Leblanc has the offensive firepower to crack a regular good top 6. I see him as a bonified 3rd liner who can easily take shifts on the top 2 lines or fill in during an injury.

Eller and Leblanc, IMO, should be studs on our 3rd line together for many years. I'd be more than happy if this was to happen.

I really like his smarts, and he can be pretty slick with the puck, so I'm going to say 2nd liner, 20-25 goal man, potential for a better season here and there. I'll say winger, just because he won't get the chance to play centre with the habs.

I don't believe that Leblanc has the offensive firepower to crack a regular good top 6. I see him as a bonified 3rd liner who can easily take shifts on the top 2 lines or fill in during an injury.

Eller and Leblanc, IMO, should be studs on our 3rd line together for many years. I'd be more than happy if this was to happen.

I'm no prophet when it comes to assessing young players, but I tend to agree with this assessment of Leblanc. If nothing else, I have trouble seeing how a guy who got well under a point per game in the AHL is likely to make it as a top-6 NHLer. He does seem a very bright, cool-headed and solid youngster, however, and certainly is legitimate NHL material in some capacity. He seems like a future glue guy and team leader.

What I dislike here is the scenario of Eller as 3rd-line C. That may turn out to be his fate - I've said many times I find him incredibly hard to evaluate - but if it is, I won't be happy. The kid was supposed to be a blue-chipper with top-6 potential.

Leblanc's resume is a smorgasbord to date between the USHL, College, Q, AHL and NHL so it's tough to project his potential but he didn't look out of place when he played more minutes down the stretch, good speed, decent hands, and not afraid to take/give a hit. Still needs to get stronger and some confidence and should spend the year playing big minutes in Hamilton. See him a better fit as a winger than a centre but similar to Pacioretty, please don't call him up to play on the 4th line, he's was a #1 pick, let's try and develop him into a top 6.

He can be a top 6 IMO.

He seems to have the smarts, tenacity, shot and playmaking

He needs to get stronger upper body, but I expect that to improve this year. Remember last year he had the bum shoulder so he couldnt train in the summer.

His skating is ugly but it works for him, and he gets from point A to point B fast enough

Even if he misses the top 6 potential his defensive game will make him at minimum a third liner. I just think he can be more than that

I have trouble seeing how a guy who got well under a point per game in the AHL is likely to make it as a top-6 NHLer.

Leblanc's first AHL season: 22pts in 31 games

Pacioretty's first AHL season: 29 points in 37 games (6 goals!)

Plekanec's first AHL season: 46 points in 77 games

(and just to drive the point home)

Parise's first AHL season: 58 points in 73 games

Well said. Also, Hamilton was not a great team last year. If Leblanc starts the year in the AHL this year, you'll see him put a .ot more points up on the board.

Aha, point taken. If Leblanc can emerge as a top-6er, that's certainly great news - both in hockey and PR terms, because every francophone in a key roster spot is an argument against the nationalist jackasses.

Aha, point taken. If Leblanc can emerge as a top-6er, that's certainly great news - both in hockey and PR terms, because every francophone in a key roster spot is an argument against the nationalist jackasses.

Would be cool having a really talented french guy though :P

Some French Dude-DD-Leblanc ... some kinda Quebec'r line haha

PR heaven.

Would be cool having a really talented french guy though :P

Some French Dude-DD-Leblanc ... some kinda Quebec'r line haha

PR heaven.

I think two French Canadians in the top 6 is about as much as can be hoped for in an era where Quebec is a marginal producer of NHL-quality talent. But certainly a 'French connection' line would be awesome marketing!

i see he and Eller as future top six guys, but 3rd line this coming year is where will be.

I think Leblanc will come into camp and easily outshine Armstrong for 3rd line winger role.

I expect both his skating and strength to be improved and he actually will have a training camp this year (as will Eller who also was rehabbing same surgery last summer/fall).

I think two French Canadians in the top 6 is about as much as can be hoped for in an era where Quebec is a marginal producer of NHL-quality talent. But certainly a 'French connection' line would be awesome marketing!

Actually, next years prospect group has a couple/few french guys who may go in first round, as well, of course, as Nate who should be #1 or #2 pick.

Quebec and Halifax both should be pretty strong teams.

Yup, at this point Erne and Duclair should both be first rounders

I aint sure who is french and who isnt, but i have seen these other QMJHLers noted as possible top 60 picks;

Sam Morin, Zack Fucale, William Carrier, Anthony Mantha, Nick Sorensen, John Drouin and Matt Murphy

which seems a bit better production coming from that league than lately?

Keeping the Leblanc tread alive, he and I share the same last name (almost), perhaps if we're related, he can get me some tickets?