Canadiens sign Alex Galchenyuk to three years ELC

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=638442&navid=DL|MTL|home

PRESS RELEASE

MONTREAL – Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced Monday the signing of its 2012 NHL Entry Draft first round pick Alex Galchenyuk to a three-year contract (2012-13 to 2014-15). As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Galchenyuk, 18, only took part in two regular season games with the OHL Sarnia Sting in 2011-12. The 6’1’’, 195 lbs forward missed the majority of the season due to a knee injury. In the playoffs, Galchenyuk registered four points (2 goals, 2 assists), playing in all six contests.

In his first junior season in 2010-11, Galchenyuk ranked third in scoring with the Sting, tied for first in assists, with a total of 83 points (31 goals, 52 assists) in 68 regular season games. He also served 52 penalty minutes.

A native of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Galchenyuk was the Canadiens’ first round selection, third overall at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.

its kinda weird though, why would they sign him now if hes going to play in the OHL next season definitely? Why not just sign him next offseason?

We dont know that he'll definetely be in the OHL next season

Plus there is no downside to signing him now, if he doesnt make the team the deal slides and we even save a small amount of cap space

but it counts as a year tho...

Commandant is saying that if the guy does not play in NHL then it would slide for a season extending the contract to a 4 year 3 year contract haha.. i think i got that right! Brian explained this to me on another thread :P

As stated above, doesn't count in any way if he doesn't stay with habs this year. No downside to signing him now.

There was also alot of chatter at the draft to lock these guys up to prevent them bolting to the KHL if there was a lockout. Think they can still play overseas but only until there's a new CBA whereas if they're not signed they're free to stay. Could've heard that wrong but that was my take on it. Excited to see this kid play, won't count him out from making the team.

There was also alot of chatter at the draft to lock these guys up to prevent them bolting to the KHL if there was a lockout. Think they can still play overseas but only until there's a new CBA whereas if they're not signed they're free to stay. Could've heard that wrong but that was my take on it. Excited to see this kid play, won't count him out from making the team.

Whoever said that, no offense, is a moron.

Galchenyuk would just play in Sarnia.

Whoever said that, no offense, is a moron.

Galchenyuk would just play in Sarnia.

Thinking it was Maguire so wont argue the moron point but seeing lots of 2012 1st rounders signing early ahead of the CBA expiry (Wilson, Forsberg, Grirogrenko, Girgensons) whereas Beaulieu just inked a couple of months ago. Not profiling Alex with the Russian card cause I believe he wants to play NHL but he's also drafted in the KHL, someone throws a mittful of cash his way to play pro now or go back to Junior who knows if there was a lockout on. Moot point now that he's locked up.

When it's all said and done, if he avoids injury, Alex Galchenyuk will be our highest point producing first round pick since Steve Shutt. Book it :)

Well...there was Saku Koivu leading the entire frigging league in scoring in 1996-97 before permanently ruining his knee and returning as a shadow of himself.

But it does seem that Galchenyuk is poised to be something special. Exciting stuff.

Well...there was Saku Koivu leading the entire frigging league in scoring in 1996-97 before permanently ruining his knee and returning as a shadow of himself.

But it does seem that Galchenyuk is poised to be something special. Exciting stuff.

I was making an all-time prediction which people will have to pull out of an archive to see if I was proven right ;)

Galch hasn't hit the ice yet and making any prediction is crazy but I agree he's our best first round pick forward since Koivu. Same high potential.

I was making an all-time prediction which people will have to pull out of an archive to see if I was proven right ;)

Galch hasn't hit the ice yet and making any prediction is crazy but I agree he's our best first round pick forward since Koivu. Same high potential.

BUT HE HAS BEEN INJURED LIKE KOIVU GOT INJURED OMG WE ARE DOOMED THE SIMILARITIES ARE TO MUCH WE ARE DONE FOR :'(

I miss that season. Koivu was such a better hockey player before that injury.

I miss that season. Koivu was such a better hockey player before that injury.

Yeah, it really was a tragedy in hockey terms. Imagine what it'd have been like to have a top-5 NHL player on our team for all those dismal years. While he alone wouldn't have saved those some of those Houle teams, having a superstar in the lineup would have made a huge difference over the longer run, both psychologically for fans and on the ice. What I find sad is that so few fans even remember the player that Saku Koiv was/should have been. All they remember is the 'decent 2nd line C' that remained.

He and Recchi had great chemistry that year.

I have no positive memory of Dr. Recchi.

I hated the deal for him when it happened and hated the little prick himself, after his maxpac comments. Back when I was in university a friend of mine who was a flyers fan was pissed and I called it then saying that the habs made a terrible move giving away two of the 4 key pieces to the 93' cup win in one deal.

I have no positive memory of Dr. Recchi.

I hated the deal for him when it happened and hated the little prick himself, after his maxpac comments. Back when I was in university a friend of mine who was a flyers fan was pissed and I called it then saying that the habs made a terrible move giving away two of the 4 key pieces to the 93' cup win in one deal.

It was a terrible trade, but he did play well for us that year. Mind you, the guys we traded played much better. Just another example of not knowing the value of your own players, and even some of us on here seem guilty of that.

To this day I question whether LeClair ever would have realized his potential had he not been placed in the absolutely perfect situation of being winger to one of the best players in the game (Lindros). It was frustrating - the Habs had been asking him to drive the net for years, and when he got to Philly it was like, 'oh, I get it! I need to drive the net!' I think he was a bit of a hothouse flower.

It was 'throwing in' Desjardins that really killed me. That never should have happened, but Bobby Clobbers refused to accept Brisebois instead. The rest is history.

In fact, though, Recchi was a terrific player for us. You don't need to crap on his head to affirm the badness of that deal. He did his job and performed as a legitimate top-3 winger. Sadly, that idiot Houle ended up dealing him away for Zubrus - thus leaving us with Zubrus in return for Recchi, LeClair and Desjardins :nuts: If there is a trade whose outcome is ultimately worse than the Roy deal, it might be that.