Canadiens sign Alex Galchenyuk to three years ELC

As stated above, doesn't count in any way if he doesn't stay with habs this year. No downside to signing him now.

There might be a downlisde. What if the new CBA allows for 4 years of ELC?

WHat if bonus' are not counted as cap?

The reason agents are signing today, is that many are locking up these players for 3 year ELCS and accepting less money or less bonuses to do so, knowing the risk of ELCs changing.

As for bonus' not counting towards cap hit.... I'll eat my shoe if they aren't either forbid entirely or included in the cap in some way.

The reason agents are signing today, is that many are locking up these players for 3 year ELCS and accepting less money or less bonuses to do so, knowing the risk of ELCs changing.

As for bonus' not counting towards cap hit.... I'll eat my shoe if they aren't either forbid entirely or included in the cap in some way.

Not saying hat's what is going to happen, saying what if. You know the bonus' thing is going to change given these latest long term contracts. Lord knows how it is going to change though.

Not saying hat's what is going to happen, saying what if. You know the bonus' thing is going to change given these latest long term contracts. Lord knows how it is going to change though.

Its possible you may get to sign a longer elc with the new CBA, but the real issue is when the player becomes an UFA, and in my opinion, that period will only increase in the new CBA, and that doesn't really impact any contract he'd sign before or after the new CBA is arranged.

There also is a chance that even if there are new ELC rules that they are grandfathered in beginning with undrafted players right away but only for the 2013 draft class and beyond. They have grandfathered ELC rules before, Alexei Emelin wasn't subjected to the current rules on his contract from last season (he got 30% up front instead of the now-max 10%).

The signing bonus and the performance bonuses in ELCs are two completely separate issues IMO.

• Upvote 1

I think something major is going to change their. These front loaded bonus contracts are a trend which will be looked at for sure

Sure and I agree, but going after signing bonuses, and going after performance bonuses for ELC guys are two very separate things.

Not all "bonuses" are the same.

• Upvote 1

Some are saying Galy has the potential to be the best player from this years draft, in which case, his knee injury might have been the best thing to happen to habs in quite some time.

Some are saying Galy has the potential to be the best player from this years draft, in which case, his knee injury might have been the best thing to happen to habs in quite some time.

I would disagree because if he had of be uninjured, he likely would still have gone at/near 3rd and would be better prepared to make the jump to Habland and not have to retrun to Sarnia for 1 more year to make up for lost year.

He for sure could end of being the best in draft, but that call is a long way down the road. I would just like to see 50+goals/100+points in OHL for starters.

Sure and I agree, but going after signing bonuses, and going after performance bonuses for ELC guys are two very separate things.

Not all "bonuses" are the same.

I know that there is a difference between a signing and performance bonus. I also know that a performance bonus can be applied I believe either the year of the bonus or the followng year. whereas a signing bonus is just averaged out.

All I am saying is that these bonus' are becoming a sudden trend and you know the next CBA is going to deal with them. ELC for instance will likely have lower possible performance bonus' .

• 2 weeks later...

Seems Galchenyuk took a couple games to get going at USA junior camp according to blogger Julie Robenhymer comments on game vs the Swedes:

"Seconds later, Alex Galchenyuk (Sarnia - MTL) pulled a beautiful move to get the puck on net where it got lost under the goalies pads and trickled in for a 4-1 lead. "

"I was also impressed with Glachenyuk who finally seemed to connect the dots and make his presence known throughout the entire game and not just in spurts like he had earlier in the week. He seemed to make an impact in one way or another every time he hit the ice and that's what you expect from the third overall selection in the NHL draft. "

Just like in the OHL, he took the first two regular season games to work off some of the rust, but by the time he was playing his 3rd and 4th game he was showing his skills, and just lacked endurance.

The rust was still an issue, but thats gone now, and the endurance is back up to speed.

Can't wait to watch these games... They are all archived on fasthockey but you have to pay for them.

To this day I question whether LeClair ever would have realized his potential had he not been placed in the absolutely perfect situation of being winger to one of the best players in the game (Lindros). It was frustrating - the Habs had been asking him to drive the net for years, and when he got to Philly it was like, 'oh, I get it! I need to drive the net!' I think he was a bit of a hothouse flower. It was 'throwing in' Desjardins that really killed me. That never should have happened, but Bobby Clobbers refused to accept Brisebois instead. The rest is history. In fact, though, Recchi was a terrific player for us. You don't need to crap on his head to affirm the badness of that deal. He did his job and performed as a legitimate top-3 winger. Sadly, that idiot Houle ended up dealing him away for Zubrus - thus leaving us with Zubrus in return for Recchi, LeClair and Desjardins :nuts: If there is a trade whose outcome is ultimately worse than the Roy deal, it might be that.

Sob,,,sob...sob....afjlaewrjfa... sob....sob..... :nuts: