Would Semin signing with the Habs be hard to swallow?

Habs27

Habs 10

Why would someone post that one of his interest is " se separer du Canada"? Moi j'aime l'idee de signer Semin a court terme.

Well, I guess it's because I'd like to see Québec become a country...

Interesting article here: http://sports.nation...lexander-semin/

Despite Macguire's characterization of Semin as 'the ultimate coach killer,' Dale Hunter gives him a rather strong endorsement. That's worth considering. Still, when a talent of his magnitude gets 54 points, you can see where the rep develops. Kinda Kovalev 2.0.

Like I say, I sign him on Commandant's terms. We need that talent and we're not in the hunt for the Cup for at least one season anyway. Why not take the chance.

Semin got 54 points, 2nd on Washington behind Ovechkin who had 66, and Semin played for most of the season with Chimera and Johansson (until Backstrom went down) then after that is was Perrault, hardly linemates for a top 6 player, a grinder and an AHL cente, Semin's play down the stretch got the Caps into the playoffs essentially and there are a lot of Caps fans pretty annoyed with GMGM for not resigning him already though there are also a lot who are happy he hasn't been signed, but dissapointed that they don't have a replacement for the goal and points totals. The bad rep in regards to Semin is mainly due to his nationality, and Dale Hunter is a better person to hear from than TSN panelists and the rest of the North American media who do slander Europeans and to a larger extent Russians especially about work ethic and general effort. I love Sasha as a player and would love him as a Hab, but Montreal just isn't the right fit for him, we don't have a good enough team, nor do we have a real amount of cap space to sign him. Pittsburgh, New Jersey and Washington are the only real fits for him, and I hope to God that he stays with the Caps.

On an unrelated note, please can they just change his name to Syomin already, that is how it should be spelled in its English form, the same as Kovalev was really Kovalyov haha.

Btw - If any offense or misunderstanding of your post, I am sorry, but I get ultra defensive in regards to Russians who get a bad rep for no reason apart from nationality.

• Upvote 1

While id sign Semin to a one or two year deal in a heartbeat I'd also rather sign Semin to a longer 4 yrs/$24m, then singing Doan to a 4yrs/$20m deal (although I think Doan may actually get more then that).

Semin got 54 points, 2nd on Washington behind Ovechkin who had 66, and Semin played for most of the season with Chimera and Johansson (until Backstrom went down) then after that is was Perrault, hardly linemates for a top 6 player, a grinder and an AHL cente, Semin's play down the stretch got the Caps into the playoffs essentially and there are a lot of Caps fans pretty annoyed with GMGM for not resigning him already though there are also a lot who are happy he hasn't been signed, but dissapointed that they don't have a replacement for the goal and points totals. The bad rep in regards to Semin is mainly due to his nationality, and Dale Hunter is a better person to hear from than TSN panelists and the rest of the North American media who do slander Europeans and to a larger extent Russians especially about work ethic and general effort. I love Sasha as a player and would love him as a Hab, but Montreal just isn't the right fit for him, we don't have a good enough team, nor do we have a real amount of cap space to sign him. Pittsburgh, New Jersey and Washington are the only real fits for him, and I hope to God that he stays with the Caps.

On an unrelated note, please can they just change his name to Syomin already, that is how it should be spelled in its English form, the same as Kovalev was really Kovalyov haha.

Btw - If any offense or misunderstanding of your post, I am sorry, but I get ultra defensive in regards to Russians who get a bad rep for no reason apart from nationality.

Still laughing at the headline, guess it depends if you like him or love him.... Personally don't want my Habs touching him with a 10ft pole. Had the 'Radulov' disease early in his career and now is just mediocre with back to back 54 pt years. Anyone remember how terrible he was when we beat the Caps in 7 games? Managed 2 assists and was just as bad this year with 4 points in 2 rounds, let the Nucks have him with playoff stats like that. Everyone's crying for top 6 scorers and looking at selling the farm to get them, this guys been sitting for almost a month, that's enough of a red flag for me.

Hey I defend guys all the time and say the nationality thing is unfair.

However Semin has disappeared in the playoffs.

The Caps have lost out in a 7 game series in 3 of the last 4 playoffs. In those 21 games, Semin has 2 goals.

The reputation fro disappearing come playoff time is well earned in those three series, where even 1 more goal might have made the difference.

First of all, Kostitsyn is a 20 goal scorer who in the perfect situation can score 30 goals. Semin is a 30 goal scorer who in a perfect situation can score 40 goals. Semin's issue in Washington has been that he needs to play with a good center and Backstrom was hurt. I don't think Plekanec is as offensively skilled as Backstrom but on Plekanec's wing he'll score 30 goals easily, something Kostitsyn could never do with him.

The best part about Semin is that aside from last season which was career lows, Semin is usually handling a 15 per cent shooting percentage. That's very valuable.

I'd love to sign Semin after taking my blinders off on what his game is really like, but he has to drop his price.

Like I said I do like Semin, I honestly do.....but like I also said the guy is inconsistant, and u can say that Semin is that much better then Kostitsyn, but Kostitsyn has never had the pleasure of riding Alexander Ovechkins coat tails, it would be interesting to see what Semin can do without Ovie

Semin rarely played with Ovechkin so you cannot point to his success as a result of Ovie.

when Ovie was most successful he had Backstrom as his center and then usually Laich or Knuble as his RWer.

Semin's success was based mostly on talent

The overall tone of this thread is pro-Semin, offering many good reasons for his low points totals. It sounds as though he is a victim of four factors:

-participating in a rebellion against Boudreau. We know how this can deflate a player's numbers (c.f. Cammalleri).

-erratic playoff results (he did have one playoff where he was a PPG player, I believe)

-poor linemates leading to depressed numbers

-being Russian, which automatically pegs you as a 'headcase' if you show inconsistency

He could be just what the doctor ordered for Plekanec, a fellow victim of crappy linemates.

It's a tempting proposition...I guess it all comes down to term. Perhaps his expectations vis-a-vis contract length will moderate as the summer moves on. If I were MB, I would certainly stay in contact with the Semin camp, making it clear that a Gomez-like salary is possible, but not lengthy term. If Semin truly believes that he has a bum rap, then why, ultimately, wouldn't he be willing to prove himself once and for all over a lucrative two year deal?

Its Semins fighting ability that could land him in Montreal. (God, I wish I could find a clip of his fight a few years ago).

Ask and you shall receive.

The reputation fro disappearing come playoff time is well earned in those three series, where even 1 more goal might have made the difference.

No it isn't. He never disappeared against Montreal. He was one of the heaviest shooters Washington had. He got stoned by Halak.

He wasn't good last post-season but the Caps were not playing a high scoring game and had his ice time limited. Ignore those two playoff years and he has 28 points in 30 playoff games. Hardly disappearing.

Like so many have stated, 2 years of Semin would be great. It would likely ensure that Gomez doesn't play and gives us a legit top 6 forward until some of our younguns are ready to step up.

Slap fight aside, I don't think Semin deserves the awful rap that he gets, but I don't think he'll be nominated for a Selke anytime soon.

Hey I defend guys all the time and say the nationality thing is unfair.

However Semin has disappeared in the playoffs.

The Caps have lost out in a 7 game series in 3 of the last 4 playoffs. In those 21 games, Semin has 2 goals.

Semin played a great defensive series against the Rangers, he was one of the main reasons they beat the Bruins in the first round.

2009 - The Pittsburgh series Semin got a couple of assists

2010 - Halak/Gill/Gorges stopped Semin, who still played well

2011 - The entire Caps team was terrible against Tampa, against NYR, he was great

2012 - key against Boston, played great defensively against NYR

7 million for what, 23 goals?

Semin got 21 goals last season, playing third line minutes with third line linemates, he also got 54 points on a defence orientated Capitals, playing said third line minutes. He was second on the team in points behind Ovechkin...

Ask and you shall receive.

Thanks, if that doesn't cheer up your day, I don't know what will, lol. 7 million for that guy is crazy, just way too much.

For one season, with no other particular use for that $7 mil?

Not crazy at all.

I'm just looking at the big picture, he's a quality top line winger, for sure, and he may even pot 35-40 goals this year, but he is now being paid as an elite NHL superstar, and he's not really at that level. You have to remember that the same owners who are signing guys to contracts like this are at this very moment crying poverty to the NHLPA.

I'm just looking at the big picture, he's a quality top line winger, for sure, and he may even pot 35-40 goals this year, but he is now being paid as an elite NHL superstar, and he's not really at that level. You have to remember that the same owners who are signing guys to contracts like this are at this very moment crying poverty to the NHLPA.

The CBA fight is not NHL vs. NHLPA. The NHL is only presenting it like that because they know the real fight is the Top 10 NHL teams vs. Bottom 20 NHL teams. Carolina also had $17M in free cap so they had to spend. While I think this makes the Hurricanes deadly their defence is absolutely putrid.