The 2014 Olympic Squads - A preview

Commandant

Good news.

In all honesty, it would have been the final nail in Bettman's cuffin not to come up with an agreement for Sotchi.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hockey-central-team-canada-sochi-olympic-rosters/

Notable that of the 10 sportsnet "experts" who gave their Team Canada predictions, only 3 had Norris trophy winner Subban on the team, and none had him higher than 3rd pairing.

All of them picked Carey Price to go, and 8 of them picked him to start, even though he didn't have a great season.

Are they even watching the games?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hockey-central-team-canada-sochi-olympic-rosters/

Notable that of the 10 sportsnet "experts" who gave their Team Canada predictions, only 3 had Norris trophy winner Subban on the team, and none had him higher than 3rd pairing.

All of them picked Carey Price to go, and 8 of them picked him to start, even though he didn't have a great season.

To be fair, Canada's goaltending has no definitive starter. I consider Price and Crawford to be locks for the team with Luongo, Brodeur and Ward fighting for the next spot. Who they go with to start I don't know. We're in a historical downswing for Canadian goaltending while goaltending is going to be rock solid for Finland (Rinnem Rask, Niemi) and the United States (Quick, Anderson, Schneider, Howard). Russia looks suspect but they got Bobrovsky who will probably play every game.

Subban will make the team. International ice? You need a skater like Subban.

Canada's goaltending is suspect, but you really just need a short hot streak in a tournament like this, or someone to be serviceable behind a juggernaut like Luongo in 2010.

I hope Yzerman and co. don't make the same mistakes that were made in 2006 - choose slow legacy players over top young performers. We definitely need veteran leadership, but guys like Nash who everyone seems to treat as a shoo-in need to up their level of play to earn a spot in my mind. It's telling that we've won the two Olympics in North America and shat the bed both times on the large ice.

Subban would look great on the big ice. I also think the experience would be positive for Price.

I keep hearing people wanting to see Mike Richards on the team which would be a huge mistake.

Toews and Richards together is a fantastic shutdown combo and can play on international ice too.

I'd take him.

On the pre-camp list for Canada : http://www.hockeycanada.ca/fr-ca/Team-Canada/Men/National/2013-14/Orientation-Camp/Roster

And for Team Russia :

Goalies : Sergei Bobrovsky, Semyon Varlamov, Vasily Koshechkin, Evgeni Nabokov, Konstantin Barulin.

Dmen : Evgeny Biryukov, Vyacheslav Voinov, Anton Volchenkov, Sergei Gonchar, Denis Denisov, Alexei Emelin, Andrei Markov, Evgeny Medvedev, Nikita Nikitin, Ilya Nikulin, Eugene Ryasensky, Fedor Tyutin.

Forwards : Artem Anisimov, Michael Varnakov, Pavel Datsyuk, Ilya Kovalchuk, Denis Kokarev, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Nikolai Kulemin, Evgeni Malkin, Alex Ovechkin, Alexander Perezhogin, Alexander Popov, Alexander Radulov, Alexander Semin, Vladimir Tarasenko, Alexei Tereshchenko, Viktor Tikhonov, Vadim Shipachev, Nail Yakupov.

If it's me, I make Luongo the #1. I really believe that all he has been through will make him a better goalie mentally. Price is unreliable and - despite everything - I am still not sold on Crawford as more than a competent goalie who was the beneficiary of a great team. It's BobbyLou's job to lose in my books.

Some lineups are puzzling.

I'm gonna lay down my own lineup cuz I'm excited about Olympics hockey :

Nash - Crosby © - Stamkos

Giroux - Tavares - Eberle

Getzlaf - Toews (a) - M. Richards

Perry - Bergeron - St-Louis

Hall and Carter or Staal as backups

(I don't have a clue about who can play off position, but one sure thing is that I want all three Crosby, Bergeron and Toews at C...)

Keith - Seabrook

Doughty - Weber (a)

Pietrangelo - Subban

Letang

(I don't have a clue about who can play off position)

Crawford - Price - Luongo (I don't have a clue which one will start)

6/7 of your defenceman are righties.

I know. But I prefer a Righty on L over Methot, Phaneuf or Vlasic...

I would consider Marc Staal though.

I would take Methot or Vlasic over Letang. We have enough offensive guys, especially ones playing their off side.

Wouldn't cry if it was to happen.

Staal over Letang is better IMHO. Vlasic over Letang... pffffff that's a stretch.

Neal Crosby Stamkos

Tavares Toews Giroux

Nash Getzlaf Perry

Duchene E.Staal Bergeron

Benn Seguin

Keith Seabrook

Weber Subban

Bouwmeester Pietrangelo

Doughty

Luongo

Price

Holtby

Parise Backes Kessel

Kane Stepan Ryan

Pacioretty Statsny Kesler

Saad Pavelski Brown

Smith Okposo

Suter Yandle

McDonagh Carlson

J.Johnson E.Johnson

Shattenkirk

Quick

Miller

Schneider

That was not easy.

Unless he outright stinks this year, I don't see Miller being left off the US team, for the experience. It's crazy, each of their five invitees would be Canada's starter. Finland and Sweden also have an advantage over us in goaltending.

• 4 weeks later...

TSN made some early roster picks. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=430639

I actually like their choices pretty much. It seems the biggest controversy is picking Kunitz, which I'm OK with if it helps Crosby hit the ground running. You could put a better player there, but if it means the best player in the world is at top gear then I'm fine with it.

I like St-Louis as a depth forward. I couldn't think of anyone better to fill in if there was an injury. I'm still a little confused as to why Nash is considered a lock - to me he has to earn it with a very strong fall.

What with the big ice, Canada should, when in doubt, always choose the fast-skating, quick-thinking, puck-moving player over the other guy. That'd be my principle of discrimination.