Preseason: Bulldogs vs Marlies, Oct. 6/8, 7 PM

dlbalr

It's only preseason so I won't do a full GDT but the preseason for the Bulldogs kicks off tonight as they travel to Cobourg to take on the Marlies. No word on the lineups but I'll be able to listen to most of the game so I'll see what I can gather on the lines.

Game time is 7 PM and it can be listened to on Funny820.

1-1, early 2nd. MacAulay had the goal from Gagne and Palushaj. The Bulldogs are starting Mayer...maybe having a bad game wouldn't be a bad thing after all. Still working on the 3rd/4th lines, then I'll post the combos.

Alright, best guess on the lines from what I can hear:

Forwards:

Geoffrion-Holland-Avtsin

Blunden-MacAulay-Palushaj

Berger-Dumont-Hagel

Lefebvre-Farnham-Nattinen

Defence:

Beaulieu-Pateryn

Nash-Corbin

Tinordi-Gagne

Game 2 is tonight, no point in making a new GDT.

0-0 in the 2nd, shots were 17-6 Hamilton in the 1st, a much better effort so far. The lines:

Quailer-Bournival-Gallagher

Geoffrion-Holland-Palushaj (Geoffrion is centering the line at times as well)

Blunden-Boyce-Leblanc

Nattinen-MacAulay-Stortini

Beaulieu-St Denis

Nash-Gagne

Boutet-Corbin

Delmas is in net.

I had to reread that haha

With 12 matchups this season and the fact that Hamilton is one of Toronto's better players (and their captain), I presume this won't be the only time those words are typed this year.

So Hamilton has a powerplay in the dying minutes of the 3rd, pulls the goalie, and have two guys jump on when Delmas goes to the bench. Ouch.

2-0 Toronto is the final, watch for cuts to come soon (they were speculating some may come later tonight).

Someone noted Boutet stood out, any review on Nash or Corbin's play?

Nash has to be back to 100% by now?

Is Corbin likely gone back to junior this week? or maybe done enough for ECHL?

Henry may really be missed this year eh.

From what I've gathered, Nash is slowly working back into form but I wouldn't say his play is at the level of where he was a couple of years ago yet. As for Corbin, I'd have to say he's been steady but unspectacular. I heard a lot more of Gagne over both games while Boutet, Corbin's partner last night, seemed to be more active.

The defence situation is a little weird as with Ellis still out, there are only 5 d-men on the roster (since they're using Hagel up front). I'm starting to think we could see 2 of the 3 tryouts signed to PTO's and have the battle for what would eventually be the #7 spot continue early into the season. That would also free up the option to send Ellis to Wheeling to start the year, it's probably better that he gets his game legs under him there than with the Bulldogs.

I think Henry will be missed for his leadership, especially on a team that will be one of the youngest in the league. In terms of his 3rd pairing minutes, I'm confident that they can find someone to fill that reasonably well. I'm more concerned about replacing Stafford's minutes (and even Callahan's) than Henry's.

From what I've gathered, Nash is slowly working back into form but I wouldn't say his play is at the level of where he was a couple of years ago yet. As for Corbin, I'd have to say he's been steady but unspectacular. I heard a lot more of Gagne over both games while Boutet, Corbin's partner last night, seemed to be more active.

The defence situation is a little weird as with Ellis still out, there are only 5 d-men on the roster (since they're using Hagel up front). I'm starting to think we could see 2 of the 3 tryouts signed to PTO's and have the battle for what would eventually be the #7 spot continue early into the season. That would also free up the option to send Ellis to Wheeling to start the year, it's probably better that he gets his game legs under him there than with the Bulldogs.

I think Henry will be missed for his leadership, especially on a team that will be one of the youngest in the league. In terms of his 3rd pairing minutes, I'm confident that they can find someone to fill that reasonably well. I'm more concerned about replacing Stafford's minutes (and even Callahan's) than Henry's.

thanks

yes, i only meant Henry's leadership for young d-men, which i guess St.Denis/Nash is it for now, or head coach i suppose (As long as Brisbois dosent start giving defensive advice), Someone like Sean O'Donnell/Mike Commadore might be a nice fit, unless has already retired or wouldnt ever consider AHL busrides again?

thanks

yes, i only meant Henry's leadership for young d-men, which i guess St.Denis/Nash is it for now, or head coach i suppose (As long as Brisbois dosent start giving defensive advice), Someone like Sean O'Donnell/Mike Commadore might be a nice fit, unless has already retired or wouldnt ever consider AHL busrides again?

I can't see either of them wanting to play in the AHL at this stage of their careers. Also, given that the Habs appear to have made no real attempt to keep any of their veteran d-men from last year around, they don't appear to be too concerned about that - I disagree with that but that seems to be management's mentality here. With Lefebvre and Dufresne on the coaching staff (Brisebois isn't going to do a whole lot on ice with the players), the youngsters will have actual defence coaches to lean on which is rare out of the last few groups of coaches down in Hamilton.