2012-13 NHL Regular Season Thread

dlbalr

Although the season hasn't started yet, we might as well get this going as there has been a fair bit of news since the lockout ended. Some of the highlights of note:

- Tomas Holmstrom will retire as will Kristian Huselius.

- Lubomir Visnovsky really, really doesn't want to play for the Islanders. After being dealt there at the draft, he appealed to have the trade overturned and now he doesn't want to report (he prefers to stay in the KHL).

- Henrik Zetterberg is expected to be named Detroit's new captain, replacing Nicklas Lidstrom.

Training camp invites that some might find interesting:

- Marek Svatos (Florida)

- Paul Mara (Minnesota)

- Alexei Kovalev (Florida)

- Cam Barker (Vancouver - this one is just a rumour for now)

- Radek Martinek (NY Islanders, another rumour)

- Andrei Kostitsyn (Florida, also rumoured for now)

AK46 and Svatos have also been invited to Panthers camp

It looks like Kostitsyn may be staying in the KHL for the season - I thought that was the plan all along anyways when he signed there.

Jochen Hecht has reportedly agreed to terms on a 1 year contract with Buffalo. http://www.adler-mannheim.de/topstories.php?d[nr]=3599

Is Pronger officialy retired ?

Nope. His playing days are all but done (barring a miracle recovery) but if he retires, Philly is stuck with the cap hit since it's a 35+ contract. He'll be on LTIR until his contract expires.

Nope. His playing days are all but done (barring a miracle recovery) but if he retires, Philly is stuck with the cap hit since it's a 35+ contract. He'll be on LTIR until his contract expires.

Would it make more sense for the Flyers to use one of their buyouts on him?

Would it make more sense for the Flyers to use one of their buyouts on him?

He probably would be sticking around in some fashion as a defensive coach or adviser.

More signing rumblings:

- Eric Fehr back to Washington, 1 year, $600k

- Leafs to re-sign Cody Franson, 1 year at just over $1 million

Still no trade rumours yet although some deals are expected when the MOU gets signed.

Leafs to sign Mike Mottau, Flyers to sign Kurtis Foster. Detroit is bringing Mike Knuble to training camp. These are all very, very underwhelming and boring moves...

Is there an exciting free agent signing possible?

Good luck to him.

He would thrive in a system like NJ I think.

Wonder if he takes a 2 way leage min deal?

It's NHL or bust for him. He'll retire if he doesn't catch on with an NHL team. (The Habs offered him a two-way deal previously that he turned down for that reason.)

It's NHL or bust for him. He'll retire if he doesn't catch on with an NHL team. (The Habs offered him a two-way deal previously that he turned down for that reason.)

I would think hes done then.

I would think hes done then.

The Devils don't have a ton of depth and need cheap players. I think he has a legit chance of making that team.

On an unrelated note, I wonder if the Habs may take advantage of their waiver priority in the coming days (not with today's group though - AHL tough guys highlight most of the list). Finishing 28th last year gives them #3 priority on any players that get waived in the coming days. So far they've passed on everybody but I'm sure we'll see some more notable players hit the wire soon. With Gomez off the team and Berger soon to be released (he cleared $125 waivers but he still hasn't been let go yet from what I can tell), there's an open roster spot and a contract spot to take a chance on someone.

The first salary retention trade has been done as the Leafs deal Matt Lombardi to Phoenix for a conditional draft pick - 4th, 3rd if he re-signs. Toronto is covering half of his signing bonus ($500,000, pro-rated of course) plus part of his salary.

The first salary retention trade has been done as the Leafs deal Matt Lombardi to Phoenix for a conditional draft pick - 4th, 3rd if he re-signs. Toronto is covering half of his signing bonus ($500,000, pro-rated of course) plus part of his salary.

Well profit on that player for the leafs organization. Trade 2 nobodies to get him and Franson.. then translate him into a virtually free 4th and 3rd.