Burke out in Toronto....

brobin

"Without taking anything out"

He took out Pavel Kubina, Nik Antropov and Dominic Moore, replacing them with Mike Komisarek, Phil Kessel and Wayne Primeau. More goals out than in. He also continued to rely on Gustavsson/Toskala after they allowed 34 goals in 8 games. That 7-2 blow out in Boston in December should have been the bell toll for the goalies but Burke waited until JANUARY 31 to finally shake up his team. You know, January. The month in which Toronto lost 12 of 15? Toronto had only six wins going into December yet Burke continued to rely on the back-end.

But wait, let's goto January 31. In one day, Burke adds Dion Phaneuf and JS Giguere. Good additions for the club. What does he lose? Close to 50 goals in Jason Blake (10), Matt Stajan (16), Ian White (9) and Nik Hagman (20). Then nearing deadline gives up Ponikarovsky (19) and Stempniak (14) for another 33 goals. And what was brought in to replace that? Not much. Toronto was lucky that Grabovski did come into his own the next year.

Burke was ridiculous for thinking he could continue trading pieces of a TEAM that scored a lot of goals as long as he added an INDIVIDUAL who could score a lot of goals himself. And then, he was ridiculous for thinking that NOT SOLVING HIS GOALTENDING ISSUE would mean his pick would not be so high because HE ADDED A GOAL SCORER, SOMETHING THE TEAM DIDN'T ACTUALLY HAVE ISSUE DOING.

See where I'm getting at here?

Well I do see that you misunderstood my "without taking anything out comment" which was referring only to the Kessel trade.

I also see what you're ultimately driving at. I see that your arguments (which are good) and mine have diverged. I see that there's a revolving door with my name! I've said my piece, Dean Pelton out!

• Upvote 1