Gomez sent home (update: early compliance buyout official)

dlbalr

It will be interesting if Gomez gets a contract this year. If so, jackpot for him.

I doubt anyone will offer him more than 1 million$...and even then, I'm being generous.

A special agreement reportedly has been reached by the NHL and NHLPA to allow Gomez (and Wade Redden) to be bought out immediately. No further details are available yet although it is believed that the Habs would still retain the AHL cap hit (cap hit less $900,000) this season on Gomez.

Plot twist: Habs sign Wade Redden, Rangers sign Scott Gomez

A special agreement reportedly has been reached by the NHL and NHLPA to allow Gomez (and Wade Redden) to be bought out immediately. No further details are available yet although it is believed that the Habs would still retain the AHL cap hit (cap hit less $900,000) this season on Gomez.

Bob McKenzie just Tweeted Gomez and Redden are subject to an "accelerated compliance buyout" before Saturday. Clubs will save 1/3 player's actual salary, full cap hit this year and no further cap hit beyond this year.

Bob McKenzie just Tweeted Gomez and Redden are subject to an "accelerated compliance buyout" before Saturday at the expense of 1/3 the cap hit this year and no further cap hit beyond this year.

They will save 1/3 the salary, but no change on cap hit.

At any rate, I'm glad they came to this resolution, although it would've been nice to have the cap hit come off now. Ultimately, that doesn't make a ton of difference, as I doubt the Habs need the cap space for the upcoming season. But good that the Habs don't have to sweat a Gomez injury, and Gomez is allowed to pursue a hockey career, if he so chooses.

At any rate, I'm glad they came to this resolution, although it would've been nice to have the cap hit come off now. Ultimately, that doesn't make a ton of difference, as I doubt the Habs need the cap space for the upcoming season. But good that the Habs don't have to sweat a Gomez injury, and Gomez is allowed to pursue a hockey career, if he so chooses.

Yeah. It seems a fair enough conclusion for both parties.

Can someone explain to me how exactly this'll work for the Habs? Will we or won't we have Gomez's contract on the Cap? IF yes, will it count as 7.3 million$ or 6.4 million$ (7.3million - 900K)?

Thanks

So, for a player, sucking means you get all your money, and if you find a new sucker, get a second salary too. Even if its a million, its more then he deserves. Nice.

If I was the habs, I would put him in the Ahl with instructions that he is a healthy scratch every game until the buyout.

Can someone explain to me how exactly this'll work for the Habs? Will we or won't we have Gomez's contract on the Cap? IF yes, will it count as 7.3 million$ or 6.4 million$ (7.3million - 900K)?

Thanks

From what I understand, Gomez will be on the cap this year at $6.4 million and change (his 'AHL' cap hit). He will not count against the cap at all in 2013-14. Gomez will receive 100% of his pro-rated salary this season plus $1.5 million in 2013-14 and 2014-15 (2/3 of salary over 2 times the remaining term as per usual rules).

That's a pretty sweet deal for Gomer. In Any case if it means he won't count on the cap next year, this is great for the Habs.

Thanks for clearing that up!

That's a pretty sweet deal for Gomer. In Any case if it means he won't count on the cap next year, this is great for the Habs.

Thanks for clearing that up!

I should mention that the $900k savings this year isn't confirmed, that's just speculation at this point.

Watch Gomez sign somewhere on the cheap, and come back to haunt us, while we're still paying him.

Who cares? I'd rather sign Subban and play Galchenyuk next season than have Gomez playing again. He was also very respectful the whole time. Very classy player and I guess much of Lars Eller's development was due to Gomez mentoring him. Most casual fans will still boo and jeer him but he was a good Hab (despite sucking it the last two seasons).

I'm expecting either Vancouver to sign him for more than $1M (Booth and Kesler are both hurt, they need center depth) or New Jersey to pick him up.

Who cares? I'd rather sign Subban and play Galchenyuk next season than have Gomez playing again. He was also very respectful the whole time. Very classy player and I guess much of Lars Eller's development was due to Gomez mentoring him. Most casual fans will still boo and jeer him but he was a good Hab (despite sucking it the last two seasons).

I'm expecting either Vancouver to sign him for more than $1M (Booth and Kesler are both hurt, they need center depth) or New Jersey to pick him up.

You missed the point. It would be ironic, as he's still being paid. I won't miss his play.

Why would the Habs release Gomez to see him play with another team while still paying his salary? No advantage to the Habs whatsoever, if not that he could hurt them if he is in the Eastern conference. They'd be better to let him sit the winter.

Why in the first place didn't the Habs wait the Summer to buyout Gomez? They didn't want him to be injured this winter and prevent them from buying him out in the summer. Now with the new rule, he can play with the Habs and break all his limbs if he wants.

This new rule is a plus for both the Habs and Gomez:

- Gomez will be able to play and show what he is worth and get a new contract this Summer (on top of his buyout deal, wow lucky guy)

- The Habs won't have the hands tied. They will be able to say to Gomez: We'll let you play and show the league your worth, but play with us. This new rule will allow Gomez to be bought-out and sign for 1$ this Wednesday and play with the Habs the remainder of the year. Injury or not this winter, he'll be bought out as planned for next year's dreaded budget situation.

Gomez will play with the Habs this year. I think someone lost his bet.

Why in the first place didn't the Habs wait the Summer to buyout Gomez? They didn't want him to be injured this winter and prevent them from buying him out in the summer. Now with the new rule, he can play with the Habs and break all his limbs if he wants.

Not really. If he plays for the Habs and gets hurt long-term, he can't be bought out next summer with a compliance buyout. He can't be bought out and then re-sign for cheaper this season either.

Why would the Habs release Gomez to see him play with another team while still paying his salary? No advantage to the Habs whatsoever, if not that he could hurt them if he is in the Eastern conference. They'd be better to let him sit the winter.

The original goal was to make him sit but the NHLPA was going to goto an arbitrator about it. Since the same situation was happening with Redden, the NHL negotiated to allow Montreal and New York to buy out Redden and Gomez now so they can play somewhere else and won't be sitting for the whole season. Even though most of the cards were in the NHL's favour (you can't force a team to play someone they signed, especially if they pay them), neither New York or Montreal had bad feelings about Redden or Gomez and they didn't want the decision to be out of their hands. So they just agreed for the buyouts to happen now so Gomez and Redden can go play for someone.

The advantage is pretty simple. Gomez is bought out and there's no fear of him ruining the buyout by getting hurt. Yes we're paying him now but $7M free when the cap drops is what's important.

The advantage is pretty simple. Gomez is bought out and there's no fear of him ruining the buyout by getting hurt. Yes we're paying him now but $7M free when the cap drops is what's important.

Other advantage : we can now sign Subban multi-years without busting next season's cap.

Not really. If he plays for the Habs and gets hurt long-term, he can't be bought out next summer with a compliance buyout. He can't be bought out and then re-sign for cheaper this season either.

Why can't the Habs buy-him out Wednesday and sign him for 1$ ?

There seems to be a lot of confusion here. The new accelerated buy out doesn't really help the Habs at only - only Gomez (and Redden).

It has no effect on our cap hit either this year or next. We get the same cap hit as we were going to get by sending him home for the year.

We pay him exactly the same salary as we would have by sending hi home.

I see only 3 differences:

1) Gomez gets to play for some other (NHL?) team.

2) and so might well end up improving one of our opponents (and playing well against us)

3) We get access to one of our 50 roster spots 6 months early.

I'm not sure this is such a great deal for the Habs. But we have to do it. If we don't we will really hurt our chances with future UFAs.