Training camp news and notes

dlbalr

Rather than bumping various threads, let's just start one for any news that comes out of camp. Today, Plekanec, Nokelainen, and Commodore are all not skating. We do have line news though, here are the combos:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole

Galchenyuk-Eller-Gionta

Moen-Prust-Bourque

Armstrong-White-Gallagher/Dumont (although one says White is the rotating player)

Gorges-Kaberle

Markov-Emelin

Bouillon-Diaz

Tinordi-Weber

So is Markov Emelin going to be a pair?

I seem to recall they played together a bit last season, but it's probably too early to read too much into the pairings. Of course, both play the same side which could be cause for concern if they stay together.

I hope they are not paired together. Emelin is much more noticable and physical on the Left side.

Gorges Markov

Subban Emelin (if he ever signs)

Kaberle Boullion. Although i think Diaz can take Kaberle's spot quickly, he isn't a MT type of player.

Subban will be signed before the season starts. Kaberle's fate will depend on Diaz IMHO. If Diaz can show he's on par with Kaberle offensively Kaberle will be gone end of the season. Diaz is better than Kaberle defensively.

Subban will be signed before the season starts. Kaberle's fate will depend on Diaz IMHO. If Diaz can show he's on par with Kaberle offensively Kaberle will be gone end of the season. Diaz is better than Kaberle defensively.

That'd be great, but somewhat unlikely. Kaberle is one of the most offensively productive defencemen in the league (top 15). Projecting Diaz to be 'on par' with Kaberle offensively while surpassing him defensively means that you expect Diaz to be an all-star quality defender. Possible. But implausible.

Galchenyuk is showing his great talent in a shout out this morning. I guess that he will remain with the team. We need skills and he has got tons of them. It would be foolish not to dress him with the big guys. Bring some spark to this line up!

That'd be great, but somewhat unlikely. Kaberle is one of the most offensively productive defencemen in the league (top 15). Projecting Diaz to be 'on par' with Kaberle offensively while surpassing him defensively means that you expect Diaz to be an all-star quality defender. Possible. But implausible.

Kaberle was 40th in points for defenseman last season, how is that top 15? He posted 15 more points than Diaz, while playing 13 more games. If Diaz played the same amount of games, assuming his PPG ratio doesn't change, Kaberle would of produced 11 more points. Is it far fetched to believe Diaz could possibly squeeze out 10 or 11 more points in a full 82 game season?

A couple of years ago Kaberle was top 15 good. Last year he wasn't and he may never return to that form again. There should be no argument Diaz is at least on par defensively as Kaberle. This season will tell if Kaberle is still a top 15 offensive defenseman. If he isn't I see no reason to keep him around. Do you?

Kaberle was 40th in points for defenseman last season, how is that top 15? He posted 15 more points than Diaz, while playing 13 more games. If Diaz played the same amount of games, assuming his PPG ratio doesn't change, Kaberle would of produced 11 more points. Is it far fetched to believe Diaz could possibly squeeze out 10 or 11 more points in a full 82 game season?

A couple of years ago Kaberle was top 15 good. Last year he wasn't and he may never return to that form again. There should be no argument Diaz is at least on par defensively as Kaberle. This season will tell if Kaberle is still a top 15 offensive defenseman. If he isn't I see no reason to keep him around. Do you?

If you discount his disastrous stretch with Carolina - clearly a huge aberration - you'll find that his numbers with Montreal extrapolate to 42 points over a full season. This is a drop-off from his heyday of 50+ points but it's still good for 17th overall among defencemen. Diaz's numbers extrapolate to 27 points over a full season. Not in the same category.

Anything can happen, but I think it's massively more likely that Kaberle will produce at a 45+point pace this year than that Diaz will.

The discourse around Kaberle is delusional. People act as though his stretch with Carolina is representative of what he is as a player rather than marking a total outlier for him. Yes, he is one-dimensional. Yes, he is overpaid. And yes, his offensive production is well above-average for a defenceman. Now, he may continue his decline this season, in which case the last point will no longer hold, but with the info now before us, we should classify him as a 45-point defender and therefore in the top 15 in this respect.

If Kaberle is playing decent and the Habs arent in playoff contention come deadline time I bet the Habs could get a late 1st or 2nd for him.
I love the optimism, but Kaberle is not getting anything close to a first. In fact, he's described as untradable. How many buyouts can a team make? He's next for the Gomez treatment.

I think that IF Kaberle comes back strong and produces at his usual 45+-point clip, there is a significant chance of moving him at the deadline to teams looking to add offence and help their PP heading into the playoffs. The guy for whom the Bruins traded a 1st round pick was not massively less one-dimensional than the current edition. His stock has dropped sufficiently that a high pick is a pipedream, but a team that is hungry for the Cup will cough up something for a guy who puts up those kind of numbers.

Based purely on what we saw from Habs' players last season, Bourque might be a more likely buyout candidate. At last Kabs was reasonably productive for us.

Kaberle is such a better player than what Habs fans give him credit for.

His offensive production is among the elite defencemen in the NHL. Yes he's a one way players, but a two way elite defender gets 7.5 million per season, not 4.25.

Kaberle is such a better player than what Habs fans give him credit for.

His offensive production is among the elite defencemen in the NHL. Yes he's a one way players, but a two way elite defender gets 7.5 million per season, not 4.25.

Agreed. Plus he got better in his own zone later in the season.

Agreed. Plus he got better in his own zone later in the season.

He just needs a stay at home partner.... not another defensive liability like Campoli beside him.

Bouillion won't take chances and be a good third pairing partner for him.

I think that IF Kaberle comes back strong and produces at his usual 45+-point clip, there is a significant chance of moving him at the deadline to teams looking to add offence and help their PP heading into the playoffs. The guy for whom the Bruins traded a 1st round pick was not massively less one-dimensional than the current edition. His stock has dropped sufficiently that a high pick is a pipedream, but a team that is hungry for the Cup will cough up something for a guy who puts up those kind of numbers.

Based purely on what we saw from Habs' players last season, Bourque might be a more likely buyout candidate. At last Kabs was reasonably productive for us.

so if he continues to provide 45 + points we will get rid of him? why? that production puts him in high standing in the nhl and well worth the dollars. do we just hate former leafs?

are we stupid? ok he is not great defensively but ???????????????

so if he continues to provide 45 + points we will get rid of him? why? that production puts him in high standing in the nhl and well worth the dollars. do we just hate former leafs?

are we stupid? ok he is not great defensively but ???????????????

I like him but I'd trade him if someone wants to pay significant picks/prospects.

His age + this team being in rebuild/retool stages + young D in the pipeline all add up to a tradeable asset IMO.

I like him but I'd trade him if someone wants to pay significant picks/prospects.

His age + this team being in rebuild/retool stages + young D in the pipeline all add up to a tradeable asset IMO.

Right.

I don't hate Kaberle at all, and find all the ragging on him to be totally irrational overblown. But if Markov comes back effectively, I think we can find better uses for that cap space given our team profile. If Markov turns out to be a shell of his former self, then we might have more reason to keep Kabs. Don't have strong feelings about it either way.

Count me as a fan of these lines which are being used in practice today:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gionta

Moen-Eller-Bourque

Prust-White-Armstrong

I love how all the guys on the bottom two lines are interchangeable. Therrien will be able to easily mix and match to find the best chemistry.