Will Galchenyuk play the entire season in Montreal? Should he?

Habsfan

So where does that leave us? Prima facie, Galy will benefit more from a full season in junior (after all, he missed a whole year) and a bit of AHL seasoning after that, than he will from being thrown prematurely into the NHL. I say 'prima facie' because that is the scenario that would apply to 99% of players in his situation.

The thing is with Galchenyuk, he can't be sent to the AHL after this year as he'd still be too young to play a full season, (ATO after junior playoffs is okay though). He can't be assigned to Hamilton until the 2014-15 season. That probably doesn't change your assessment much (if any) but it's worth noting.

J-F Chaumont@JFChaumont

#Habs: "On ne parle pas d'une audition de 5 matchs pour Galchenyuk. On ne veut pas lui mettre de la pression." Michel Therrien.

Sounds like he's getting 48 games, not 5.

One thing to consider.... Sarnia only has about 30 games left in regular season... Montreal 48

Give him his 5 games and send him back to the minors.

Trade Bourque, Cole and Gionta this year for draft picks/prospects at the deadline (when is that this year??)...replace them at that point with Leblanc, Palushaj and Gallagher (or whoever else is playing well in the AHL) for the remainder of the season.

Attempt to trade up into the top 3 picks again to get another top shelf young Forward (assuming we don't finish there...lol).

Next year you have Galchenyuk and the newly drafted top 3 guy. Go out and sign a couple of top 6 UFA's to replace Cole and Gionta...which, honestly, should be doable as they aren't exactly huge stars (though they are quality players). That should be enough to allow the Habs to have effectively "rebuilt" before the start of next season...sure, the young "stars" might need a year or two but this type of move puts the Habs on pretty much the same level as Edmonton is right now. Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, another top 3 pick, Subban, Price would rival Hall, Yakupov, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins from a young talent perspective. Surround that with a couple of good vet pick-ups to go with quality guys like Pleks, Markov, Gorges, Emelin, DD/Eller and you've got 3 good lines, defensive depth and loads of young stars in the making.

I'm willing to let a short season be a write-off to accelerate the re-build effort. Hell, I was willing to see them do it before the short season...now I see it as a virtual must...

Whoever wins in a short season will forever have the legacy of winning in a crappy short year that didn't have a legit training camp, is likely going to be plagued by injury issues for most teams, has lost some fans (at least in the short term), etc. Just won't be the same thing as winning after a long 82 game season with fans back into the feeling...

The NHL is best for anyones development in the NHL. For reasons that should be obvious to anyone.

That said, if he cannot play top six minutes, he goes down in five games. If he can, and he's hanging in, and Therrien likes his work ethic, and Plex likes him at wing? He stays up. Regardless of his contract.

One thing to consider.... Sarnia only has about 30 games left in regular season... Montreal 48

That's a noteworthy factor, it's also one of the reasons why I wouldn't be upset if he got sent back. He already has played 40 games this year (between Sarnia and Team USA, not including exhibition games). If he played all 48 with the Habs, he'd be over 90 before the playoffs hit (now I'm adding in the exhibition games). That's a lot of action for a player who only played 8 games last season, I have to believe fatigue will come into play between now and the end of April.

• Upvote 1

The NHL is best for anyones development in the NHL. For reasons that should be obvious to anyone.

That said, if he cannot play top six minutes, he goes down in five games. If he can, and he's hanging in, and Therrien likes his work ethic, and Plex likes him at wing? He stays up. Regardless of his contract.

That is actually not true. There are lots of prospects whose career was damaged or delayed by being rushed into the NHL at 18 or 19.

Whoever wins in a short season will forever have the legacy of winning in a crappy short year that didn't have a legit training camp, is likely going to be plagued by injury issues for most teams, has lost some fans (at least in the short term), etc. Just won't be the same thing as winning after a long 82 game season with fans back into the feeling...

Uhmmm....I think it is similar enough not to matter. After 20years I would certainly be back into the feeling if the Habs hoisted the Cup this year --not that I think they will, unfortunately.

It is not as if Jersey's win in '95 has an asterix next to it in the record book. BTW, if the Habs are out of it early I hope they do make some of the trades you argued for.

That is actually not true. There are lots of prospects whose career was damaged or delayed by being rushed into the NHL at 18 or 19.

I don't buy that.

If a player can't handle a blow to his confidence... it doesn't matter if he gets hit with that blow at 18 or 22... at some point he's gonna go in a slump and have confidence destroyed.... if he can't rebound, he was never an NHL player.

Was Max Pacioretty ruined because he came up to soon? Nope, he went back down, developped and became a 30 goal guy.

Riberio became a 70 pt player

Latendresse a 27 goal scorer before getting concussions.

Price had growing pains but was a legit NHL starter and great goalie by 23.

PK subban struggled defensively but is our best D now.

and on and on....

Sure, some players bust... but so do guys who never get NHL time like Thomas Hickey, or Zach Hamil, or whatever. Sometimes a kid busts cause he just wasn't good enough or he didn't have the mental fortitude.... not because he was ruined.

• Upvote 1

Give him his 5 games and send him back to the minors.

Trade Bourque, Cole and Gionta this year for draft picks/prospects at the deadline (when is that this year??)...replace them at that point with Leblanc, Palushaj and Gallagher (or whoever else is playing well in the AHL) for the remainder of the season.

Attempt to trade up into the top 3 picks again to get another top shelf young Forward (assuming we don't finish there...lol).

Next year you have Galchenyuk and the newly drafted top 3 guy. Go out and sign a couple of top 6 UFA's to replace Cole and Gionta...which, honestly, should be doable as they aren't exactly huge stars (though they are quality players). That should be enough to allow the Habs to have effectively "rebuilt" before the start of next season...sure, the young "stars" might need a year or two but this type of move puts the Habs on pretty much the same level as Edmonton is right now. Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, another top 3 pick, Subban, Price would rival Hall, Yakupov, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins from a young talent perspective. Surround that with a couple of good vet pick-ups to go with quality guys like Pleks, Markov, Gorges, Emelin, DD/Eller and you've got 3 good lines, defensive depth and loads of young stars in the making.

I'm willing to let a short season be a write-off to accelerate the re-build effort. Hell, I was willing to see them do it before the short season...now I see it as a virtual must...

I read this the first time and laughed at how ridiculous the idea is. I read it again and couldn't help by nodding my head in agreement. This isn't going to be a full season of failure, just s short one. We pick up a Jones or McKinnon and in 3 years we have a great group of young players.

Patches - Galy - Jones/McKinnon

Vet(Eller) - Pleks - Gallagher

Would be a nice top 2 lines. By then Tinordi and Beaulieu should be ready for NHL.

The issue is most guys who were seen as busts at 18 or 19 and then turned things around, did it with other teams, mainly because management sours on them too quickly. We lucked out with Maxpac that he had a much better work ethic then FATendresse who had a bit of success and then took the summers off.

I don't buy that.

If a player can't handle a blow to his confidence... it doesn't matter if he gets hit with that blow at 18 or 22... at some point he's gonna go in a slump and have confidence destroyed.... if he can't rebound, he was never an NHL player.

Was Max Pacioretty ruined because he came up to soon? Nope, he went back down, developped and became a 30 goal guy.

Riberio became a 70 pt player

Latendresse a 27 goal scorer before getting concussions.

Price had growing pains but was a legit NHL starter and great goalie by 23.

PK subban struggled defensively but is our best D now.

and on and on....

Sure, some players bust... but so do guys who never get NHL time like Thomas Hickey, or Zach Hamil, or whatever. Sometimes a kid busts cause he just wasn't good enough or he didn't have the mental fortitude.... not because he was ruined.

The issue is most guys who were seen as busts at 18 or 19 and then turned things around, did it with other teams, mainly because management sours on them too quickly. We lucked out with Maxpac that he had a much better work ethic then FATendresse who had a bit of success and then took the summers off.

That's a management problem, not a player problem.

Well, yes and no...if you've got a kid who is endlessly being told how great he is all summer long, sleeping with every woman he wants, basically being a god on earth - which is what happens in Montreal - you can see where the kid isn't going to listen, and where the organization is going to get damned frustrated after a while.

Insofar as Bergevin is skeptical about PK - which is on possible reason for the delay on the contract - then this suggests MB is sufficiently 'old school' that he will not be much more tolerant of insufferable young punks than Gainey or Savard were.

Totally agree its a mgmt issue. However I think we really lucked out that Maxpac had a much stronger work ethic then Fats, otherwise I think we would have given up on him and watched him turn things around elsewhere.

Lets not forget that Bergevin did come over from an organization that did throw big money at its young core.

I see Price, maxpac and subban worth the same type of investment.

I wouldn't call Gainey or savard more tolerant. They were just more selective in giving more rope to their pet guys and had zero patience for others. It also didn't help that gainey gave so much rope and allowed kovolev be a total flake during his last couple of years.

Well, yes and no...if you've got a kid who is endlessly being told how great he is all summer long, sleeping with every woman he wants, basically being a god on earth - which is what happens in Montreal - you can see where the kid isn't going to listen, and where the organization is going to get damned frustrated after a while.

Insofar as Bergevin is skeptical about PK - which is on possible reason for the delay on the contract - then this suggests MB is sufficiently 'old school' that he will not be much more tolerant of insufferable young punks than Gainey or Savard were.

Lets not forget that Bergevin did come over from an organization that did throw big money at its young core.

I see Price, maxpac and subban worth the same type of investment.

I wouldn't call Gainey or savard more tolerant. They were just more selective in giving more rope to their pet guys and had zero patience for others. It also didn't help that gainey gave so much rope and allowed kovolev be a total flake during his last couple of years.

Price and maxpac both had bridge deals. Maxpac's extension is pretty risky, but is tempered by a reasonable salary. PK wants to skip the bridge contract and get the big money. He in fact, doesn't want to be a comparable to Price and Maxpac.

Price and maxpac both had bridge deals. Maxpac's extension is pretty risky, but is tempered by a reasonable salary. PK wants to skip the bridge contract and get the big money. He in fact, doesn't want to be a comparable to Price and Maxpac.

as Commandant already mentioned, the timing of their bridge deals were very different.

Subban today is better than Price was in 2010 (coming off the season he lost the starting job) and MaxPac was in 2011 (~20 goals in ~130 career games).

He's not at the same point of his career as they were.

Subban today is better than Price was in 2010 (coming off the season he lost the starting job) and MaxPac was in 2011 (~20 goals in ~130 career games).

He's not at the same point of his career as they were.

That doesn't mean no bridge deal, that implies to me his bridge deal will be worth more. I know PK wants to cash in on a good season. That s what scares me.

To me Subban is just as valuable and proven today as Pacioretty is (And remember they are the same age).

I don't have a problem with giving Patches the years.

I would take PK over patches.

I would take PK over patches.
I would HATE to have to make that choice, but I'm with you. He's got Chris Chelios potential, let's not screw it up like we did with Chris.

I would HATE to have to make that choice, but I'm with you. He's got Chris Chelios potential, let's not screw it up like we did with Chris.

Exactly PK could be and I would bet would be a Norris candidate a couple times in his career.

He may even win one or two.

Speaking of PK.....

Galy was ok, but not spectacular last night. I suspect he needs to develop chemistry with a line mate before we see his true potential. Hopefully he can stick on a line for a few games.

If Galy stays, judging by Montreal's recent coaching, he'll play about 6 minutes a game or will be in the pressbox, will lose a huge year of development, and will end up being a typical Montreal first-round disappointment. If he's sent down he may dominate, but he won't learn anything much.