Will Galchenyuk play the entire season in Montreal? Should he?

Habsfan

No offense to you Cucumber, but I think that No. 27 is as cool as a... cucumber. I am confident that he will handle the pressure very well. I don't know why I believe that. Just a hunch, probably, but I fell good about it.

My preference has been to have him play in the minors for the remainder of the year. He get's a full season instead of a bunch of extra games...get's to play more minutes per game and work on aspects of his game (eg. face-offs, two-way, individual moves, etc) without the pressure. The NHL games and camp probably helped him identify those deficiencies and he can then work on them in junior. I still maintain that this is a write off year and my fear is that he's actually going to help bring the Habs from being a 10th place type of team to an 8th place type of team...and I still believe we're better off in the lottery (and hopefully with a top 5 pick). No one wants the team to be bad ever...but if there is a year to suck it up for a rebuild this is a deep draft and comes on the heels of an already great draft for the organization. One more draft like that could be the recipe that makes this club a long term contender again. I'm willing to live with essentially half a year of crap hockey again if it helps set them up for the next 5-7 years.

If he stays, he needs at minimum the equivalent of 3rd line ES minutes so long as he's not being rolled out as the shut-down C against teams top line too routinely. I think that would be a development mistake to have him in that role. I also think he should also be getting heavier PP minutes if he stays...

If Galchenyuk can bring them from a 10th to 8th place team then that would prove to be even better for his development as it would allow him to get playoff experience at 18 which would be a bonus IMO. As well if we finish ninth we can still draft No. 1 due to the new rules.

All we should avoid doing is using him in a shut down role that stunts creativity. So long as he back checks hard, plays positionally solid I would allow him to get creative so long as he is outside our blue line

This is great news for the Gals. I went to the Habs/Devils game on Sunday and the store was sold out of Galchenyuk and Gallagher t-shirts. Only smalls were left. Fans love these guys...

Cole came up with that one.

Good enough for me. I just heard Gally use it in an interview. So, Chucky it is. On his off-nights - of which I hope there are few - Bride of Chucky.

A little off topic. Just downloaded the NHL 13 roster update from the 24th of January. I always say not to trust EA sports for accuracy when it comes to players and value. That being said, When the game was released Galchenyuk's potential was 2 1/2 yellow stars of 5 stars. A roster update from October (I was real late on this so I'm not sure what one this up[date was in) Galchenyuk's potential was 4 yellow stars of 5 stars. The January 24th update has him now at 4.5 green stars of 5 stars.

Some of us know what this means in the game but for those who don't. The more stars out of 5 for potential means the better player they can become. With the colors meaning how accurate the rating is, red (unsure, but possibly), yellow (more than likely, but not guaranteed) and green (guaranteed). To put it in perspective 4.5 green stars of 5 total stars means in NHL 13 he's going to be capping out at around Malkin level, guaranteed.

Just wanted to point this out to show his play is being noticed by EA sport and is being changed on NHL 13.

A little off topic. Just downloaded the NHL 13 roster update from the 24th of January. I always say not to trust EA sports for accuracy when it comes to players and value. That being said, When the game was released Galchenyuk's potential was 2 1/2 yellow stars of 5 stars. A roster update from October (I was real late on this so I'm not sure what one this up[date was in) Galchenyuk's potential was 4 yellow stars of 5 stars. The January 24th update has him now at 4.5 green stars of 5 stars.

Some of us know what this means in the game but for those who don't. The more stars out of 5 for potential means the better player they can become. With the colors meaning how accurate the rating is, red (unsure, but possibly), yellow (more than likely, but not guaranteed) and green (guaranteed). To put it in perspective 4.5 green stars of 5 total stars means in NHL 13 he's going to be capping out at around Malkin level, guaranteed.

Just wanted to point this out to show his play is being noticed by EA sport and is being changed on NHL 13.

You should post on ea sports this is habsworld world

Chucky and Gally practicing with patch today.

I've been wanting to see this for a couple of weeks - hopefully the kids can get him going.

Any word if Eller is now with DD and Cole?

That makes zero sense to me.

He's not. Prust is, Eller is still centering the 4th line with Moen/Armstrong.

• 2 months later...

Interesting! There's not many 18 y.o. who have played in the NHL. Would have thought more.