Will Galchenyuk play the entire season in Montreal? Should he?

Habsfan

And yet Therrien himself said (I believe) that he'd need to play 12+ minutes per game to make it worthwhile. He scored and he looked good... and he played under 12.

If he plays like he did yesterday and Desharnais continues to struggle, we might be surprised where he will be at the end of the season. Of course, I hope that DD will get his act together, but he is really struggling out there.

DD is a bit worrisome, but we have to keep in mind that these guys had no training camp and that different players will adjust differently to that. I find that his footspeed is a shade below what it needs to be; if that's the problem, he just needs to find his legs ('game shape').

This is also a reason for a degree of skepticism about Galyenchuck. Unlike most of these guys, he's been playing at a high level all season and therefore has a relative edge. It'll be interesting to see if he continues to look as good after, oh, about 10 games, when everyone else has hit their stride.

At his age, Galchenyuck should improve. Anyhow, I am very confident that he will become a very good player. His hands are lightning fast. Have you seen how quick he has recovered the puck on his back hand in front of the net after a not so accurate pass by I don't remember who? He has some deft moves while carrying the puck; we haven't seen much yet, but the potential is great.

At his age, Galchenyuck should improve. Anyhow, I am very confident that he will become a very good player. His hands are lightning fast. Have you seen how quick he has recovered the puck on his back hand in front of the net after a not so accurate pass by I don't remember who? He has some deft moves while carrying the puck; we haven't seen much yet, but the potential is great.

I'm not all denying that he is a very exciting prospect - you can see glimpses of the Sakic-like skill all over the place - I'm just saying that right now he has a leg up on most other players on the ice, and that his performance this season may recede as that advantage does.

DD is a bit worrisome, but we have to keep in mind that these guys had no training camp and that different players will adjust differently to that. I find that his footspeed is a shade below what it needs to be; if that's the problem, he just needs to find his legs ('game shape').

This is also a reason for a degree of skepticism about Galyenchuck. Unlike most of these guys, he's been playing at a high level all season and therefore has a relative edge. It'll be interesting to see if he continues to look as good after, oh, about 10 games, when everyone else has hit their stride.

Wasn't DD playing overseas all of the lockout?

He could just be having trouble readjusting to the size of the NHL'rs

Wasn't DD playing overseas all of the lockout?

He could just be having trouble readjusting to the size of the NHL'rs

Possible but it could be teams and teams defenders has adjusted to his style and have watched enough video.

DD will have to readjust and re invent himself yet again if he wishes to succeed!

Possible but it could be teams and teams defenders has adjusted to his style and have watched enough video.

DD will have to readjust and re invent himself yet again if he wishes to succeed!

I certainly feel there is truth to this comment. And really guys if we were running teams. Wouldn't you provide your line that goes up against the habs best line a debrief of how to stop them? In fact., If you watched the Laghers vs Habs or Floridian's vs. Habs; And I paid close attention to this line from the view of the opposition team; watch what tactics lines used against the 1st line of DD, Coles and Patches. It was obvious that the standing order given was to take away their speed in the neutral zone and most certainly take them out of the play and ignore the puck, if they cross the blue line. Under no circumstances were they being allowed to take the outside lane and power to the net ( I was surprised and happy to see Borky's power move to the net that resulted in a scoring chance, I guess there is hope for him). The usual moves are not being allowed. Now would you argue they didn't have legs to make that move anyway. I'd agree with that too... However, my point is this, we need to as JMMR says... "re invent himself yet again if he wishes to succeed!"

I believe Therrien is using the young man in a reasonable manner, slowly picking his spots to give him more time and building confidence. It appears to me he is allowing the two rookies to play in situation where they can be successful. I noted tonight he put them against the Capitals 4th line of grinders, speed against the grinders. I like that. They seem to play a bit more in the third period, with a lead.

I believe Therrien is using the young man in a reasonable manner, slowly picking his spots to give him more time and building confidence. It appears to me he is allowing the two rookies to play in situation where they can be successful. I noted tonight he put them against the Capitals 4th line of grinders, speed against the grinders. I like that. They seem to play a bit more in the third period, with a lead.

So far Therrien hasn't got a "fire therrien" thread... lets see if it keeps up if we start losing :P

Watching him the first 3 games I don't think there is much more for Galchenyuk to learn in the OHL. He's showing he has the abilities to play at the NHL level and he has that compete level that Therrien likes. I just think early on already we are seeing around the league how important depth is with all the injuries going around. Sending a kid down to juniors whose showing he can learn in the NHL will be tough.

It was around 6 minutes at the start of the third. Therrien played him a *lot* more than I expected, but I'm glad to see it.

He played 6:45 through 2 periods.... so was on pace for just under 11 minutes... finished just over 12 minutes.... not that much different,

He's gonna get more minutes in games we are winning by 3 or losing by 3 than in 1 goal games... it is what it is.

He played 6:45 through 2 periods.... so was on pace for just under 11 minutes... finished just over 12 minutes.... not that much different,

He's gonna get more minutes in games we are winning by 3 or losing by 3 than in 1 goal games... it is what it is.

Your spot on. In a shortened season we can't afford to use up valuable ice time with rookies performing like rookies, they will make mistakes and we can't afford it. Slowly we will be giving more minutes to rookies as they develop and make less mistakes. Being in a good position in the 3rd gives Therrian the ability to play our rookies more often, so any mistake is more forgivable.

Your spot on. In a shortened season we can't afford to use up valuable ice time with rookies performing like rookies, they will make mistakes and we can't afford it. Slowly we will be giving more minutes to rookies as they develop and make less mistakes. Being in a good position in the 3rd gives Therrian the ability to play our rookies more often, so any mistake is more forgivable.

My question is having Galchenyuk in the lineup better then Eller?