Jan. 19, Toronto vs Montreal, 7 PM

dlbalr

Yes, let's panic and throw money at PK, which moves us to 14th in the east with little cap room left next year. You can't judge the team on the first game after a lockout and a one week camp. The leafs sucked too, they just had a couple more kids in the lineup who were in the AHL and score two pp goals. This team is projected to be 13th in the east (with PK in). People need to be realistic and give the coach, GM, and kids time to work.

actually I agree with that. I'm just frustrated that this team was so bad tonite. PK is an asset, I don't really want to trade him but I am pi$$ed at him, well at leat untill he gets his head out of his a$$ and signs a contract.

• Upvote 1

I'm never one to panic after an opener. Just some observations from tonight:

-Desharnais played like a useless smurf

-Kaberle was awful

-Galchenyuk looked like he belongs

-Emelin was solid

-4th line was decent at times, would have been more lively had the crowd not been dead I'm sure

I'm never one to panic after an opener. Just some observations from tonight:

-Galchenyuk looked like belonged

Not exactly high praise... I had hoped he would look better then the rest of them.

Kidding aside, he didn't stand out to me as a top six guy tonight. With his game shape he should have looked better. We have four more games for him to settle in, so we will see.

actually I agree with that. I'm just frustrated that this team was so bad tonite. PK is an asset, I don't really want to trade him but I am pi$$ed at him, well at leat untill he gets his head out of his a$$ and signs a contract.
I knew we basically agreed. He's a home grown piece of the puzzle going forward. And believe me, I'd prefer he sign for a fair and cap friendly contract.

Yes, they looked exactly like last years team. The 2 differences, Prust is a good fighter, and the Pk was awfull.

No offense

soft defense, running around

poor passing

Know one drives the net

I think they had there trditional 20 shots or so.

The good things i saw was Prust, Armstrong and Emelin.

If they are going to give Galchenyk a chance, leave him in the top 6. Based on what i saw i would put him between Pacs and Cole and see what happens. If they don't score or create chances that's nothing new.

Unfortunately this bunch just doesn't have alot of high end talent, Especially down the middle. The leafs who are almost as bad as the habs kept them out of the middle all game

Gee guys, this was the first game of the season. I can hear it already, let's throw these bums out. Let the chants begin to get rid of the coach, get rid of Price, on and on. !!!!! How about trying to be a little realistic, I know it is only, ONLY 48 games and the world comes to and end. I do believe this team is NOT the same team as last year.

If they are going to give Galchenyk a chance, leave him in the top 6. Based on what i saw i would put him between Pacs and Cole and see what happens. If they don't score or create chances that's nothing new.

Unfortunately this bunch just doesn't have alot of high end talent, Especially down the middle

I agree....if Desharnais has another game where he's as useless as he was last night, I'd try this experiment without hesitation.

well, some of these guys haven't been producing for a while. I'm certainly not suggesting the get rid od everyone. At some point you need to decide if your rebuilding, floundering around the 8-10 seed or your a contender.

I like MB philosophy bt buiding a onsistant team through the draft and young players. Keeping things in house.

With a shortened season you probably only have 20 games to decide who you want to keep and who you can trade for younger assests.

IMO it's time to start looking at moving:

Pleks

Markov (a contender would love that gUY)

kaberle if anyone wants him

Gionta

DD

These players could land you 1st rounders and top prospects. I'm not saying have a fire burning sale but this team needs to increase it's talent, size down the middle and speed.

That with a top 3 pick would be nic.

I just don't see much of an improvement from last yers team except the 4th line, which i actually lkie.

habs rule....that's all nice, but it's just not the reality in pro sports in 2013. It's not even the reality of the 90's. At this point, Subban might be our best player, besides our goalie. There's about 25 reasons why he should be signed as soon as possible.

It wasn't the reality ever.... not when Jean Beliveau kept returning to play senior league hockey in Quebec until he got paid.

Not in the 1920s when Newsy Lalonde became a mercenary for whoever would pay him the most.

Not in the 1900s when Cyclone taylor did the same.

People just like to romanticize that the old time players did it for "the love of the game" which was never really true.

Gee guys, this was the first game of the season. I can hear it already, let's throw these bums out. Let the chants begin to get rid of the coach, get rid of Price, on and on. !!!!! How about trying to be a little realistic, I know it is only, ONLY 48 games and the world comes to and end. I do believe this team is NOT the same team as last year.

Detroit was outshot 34-15 last night and lost 6-0

Vancouver lost 7-3.

Habs have competition in tanking apparently....

That is if we judge all teams by 1 game out of 48 like some want to do.

Thinking back to the game, they got real deflated after that goal got disallowed. Remember how good the PK was on the first penalty? Once Toronto finally scored, the team gave up until the third.

Also, Galchenyuk had some decent shots and Toronto had to cover him. Once the line gets chemistry, they will learn how to play his role properly.

It felt really good to see Gionta score.

I'm going to get irrationally angry at the next Habs fan who bashes Price. You are now warned.

• Upvote 1

Some observations after 1 period:

Markov does not look very agile. John Michael Liles of all people blew by him as if he wasn't even there.

Galchenyuk has some silky mitts. He definitely has big league talent and we should all be excited.

The 4th line is looking REALLY good.....as far as 4th lines go.

The break out on the power play is different.....in a good way.

Liles is actually very fast, one of the fastest defenders in the league I would say.

Stupid penalty by Plekanec.

Stupid call actually.

How many goalies have you seen snowed and how often is that called?

I would say I have seen hundreds of goalies snowed in similar fashion and seen that called maybe thrice.

Bourque looks really good tonight.

Compared to last year right? So the bar is not high but yes there is some promise there.

Seth Jones would look good beside PK... McKinnon would be a nice pick too. Too soon?

Never too soon, this 48 game 3.5 month long season might feel like full 82 game season if the Habs play like that every night.

Yeah, he actually has to coach the team here - hopefully we won't have him too much longer either.

Hahaha. No matter what he will be fired its just a matter of time thats pro sports and pro hockey. Who was the last head coach to step down?

Will this team ever learn how to spell D-I-S-C-I-P-L-I-N-E

Should be easy its the same in both languages.

The front line looks disjointed and the second line isn't much better. The bottom six are doing alright but the big guns need to get things going to get back in this game.

On a side note, anyone catch CBC's new Hotstove segment? That was horrible...

Yes Hotstove was awful,

Kevin Weeks was correct in his arguments but you could tell he was getting quite emotional about it.

haha, I think he was being sarcastic

No PK chants yet though. I thought we'd hear them sooner

The whole building was quiet tonight even after the goal I wasn't impressed

I was trying to remember who this habs team reminds me of , Oh yeah last years team, we need goal scorers hell Prust is the most offencive player we have. Tade PK get some goal scorers. These pop guns aint getting it done.

Trading PK for anything but a young superstar - Malkin, Stamkos etc would be silly and there is no chance PK ca bring that pack in a trade, especially unsigned.

actually never wanted him back. Still have lousy memories of Gilmour trying to restrain him during his first stint.

He and Gilmour were both bad parts of the Molson Meltdown

I don't think Vancouver or Detroit will be that good this year. They are both missing great players.

Are they losing to St. Louis 6-0 and being outshot more than 2:1 bad?

Are they getting blown out by Anaheim bad?

No, they aren't.... its one game.

Which leads to my humor piece... memo to hockey fans... after one game.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/01/20/memo-to-hockey-fans-after-game-one/

ok last night was last night and today we need to be positive, it was the first game of the season, we are not going to fire the coach, trade PK, or shoot kaberle, the positives: Kaberle looked much better than last year, Bourque is really showing signs he might not like a buyout (big improvement) Price was stellar if you consider this was the first game of the season and he did not get much help, Prust and Armstrong can play hockey and look after rough stuff great additions, Markov still silky smooth, Galchenyuk looked pretty darn good but is probably going to make it next year after a little more work in Sarnia. Face offs were a big improvement over last year. I would say that the rest of the team needs to get off the potato chips and get to work. But it was the first game of the season, lot of rust, so lets see what they look like tuesday. Btw it is never acceptable to lose to that forking team from Trawwna. :habslogo:

we finished 15th last year with him . we couldn't score then and we can't score now. Get somebody who can score. I loved PK but he don't want to be here nad don't want to be a team player. He is very entertaining but delivering pizza's while we lose is nonsense.

So you are perfect? What did they do to the last guy who was perfect?

this was just exactly like last year and I for one am kinda fed up with this team being so bad for so long. Tomorrow I wiull feel better (maybe)

Feel better yet?

I was just happy to have hockey back 47 games left.

So, thoughts on Galchenyuk's debut? He played just over 13 minutes (was dropped to the 3rd line in the 3rd for Bourque) with a couple of shots and a takeaway. His early wrister was his highlight of the night but he looked alright overall.

One positive from tonight was faceoff play. The Habs were 62% overall on the night and no one was below 50%.

Game stats: http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20122013/ES020005.HTM

Faceoff stat is good to see.

I like that White won 4 of 5, I know its a small sample size but thats a good start.

Doesn't want to be here? He wants a long term deal, many years. C'mon, you're making us look bad.

Yes PK wants to be a Hab forever.

I hope he is and continues to grow here, I believe he will be the best d man the Habs have had in 20 years.

We lost the game with all our penalties. Seems Therrien missed the memo that Montreal took to many penalties last year :P

A lot of work to do with this group, but the end of the game showed there is some promise.

Both teams ended up with 5 power plays.

Yes the Leafs got them earlier but Price over committed on the 1st goal. It happens.

At what cost? Any cost?

It will cost a lot and it should PK has the potential, the skill and the work ethic to help make the Habs a contender and no longer a pretender.

Trading him takes the Habs back to the mid 90's

I had to PVR the game, but watched it at my leisure this morning.

Frankly, I thought most of our players looked pretty good as individuals. The worst performers at FW were the first line and Gio, but all of them got stronger as the game went on and by the third were starting to gel. Galy looked comfortable; anyone demanding more from him is delusional. All of our defencemen looked at worst competent in my opinion. Markov made a few nice passes. And Price, of course, was in mid-season form.

The primary issues were discipline and above all team cohesion. The Leafs played like a team, we played like a bunch of individuals. This should not surprise us, nor should it enrage us; it is a predictable effect of the lockout, the new coach, and the new system. We also have some key cogs (Markov, Gio, Gorges) who are finding their way back into the game after missing massive time, which further compounds the tendency toward tentativeness and the lack of timing.

This being the case, what you really want is that super-talented individual who can do something dynamic to punch through and change the game. Subban might have been that guy - but let's remember, great as he is, he was not that guy last season. And the lack of Cammalleri replacement still strikes me as a bit glaring in terms of team structure.

It would not surprise me at all to find this team needing, oh, four or five games to really start getting its rhythm. By that point we may already be dangerously behind in the playoff hunt. But this team was always a long shot to make the dance anyway. Frankly, we should only start drawing conclusions about this bunch after about the 10-game mark. Like it or not.

That would be as bad as the Roy or Chelios trade.

Everyone is tradable, why would Subban for, say a Stamkos, be bad?

Habs simply need offense and Subban could fetch a nice young scorer?

but he will get signed and unless forwards can score, it likely wont a big difference Habs likely destined for 8th to 11th

It wasn't the reality ever.... not when Jean Beliveau kept returning to play senior league hockey in Quebec until he got paid.

Not in the 1920s when Newsy Lalonde became a mercenary for whoever would pay him the most.

Not in the 1900s when Cyclone taylor did the same.

People just like to romanticize that the old time players did it for "the love of the game" which was never really true.

Detroit was outshot 34-15 last night and lost 6-0

Vancouver lost 7-3.

Habs have competition in tanking apparently....

That is if we judge all teams by 1 game out of 48 like some want to do.

Jagr is on a 200+point pace! maybe he will break 99s record?

I said two years ago the only guys I'd trade Subban for are Malkin Toews and Stamkos, if MB can pull that off, I'm all for trading him. Typically in these moves you end up with gilmour for a bum like Leeman, Chelios for a washed up Savard, or Roy and your captain for 4 pucks.

Everyone is tradable, why would Subban for, say a Stamkos, be bad?

Habs simply need offense and Subban could fetch a nice young scorer?

but he will get signed and unless forwards can score, it likely wont a big difference Habs likely destined for 8th to 11th

I said two years ago the only guys I'd trade Subban for are Malkin Toews and Stamkos, if MB can pull that off, I'm all for trading him. Typically in these moves you end up with gilmour for a bum like Leeman, Chelios for a washed up Savard, or Roy and your captain for 4 pucks.

Is all moot, he wont be traded and will get signed sooner or later, but is good chance for Diaz to show what he has in the meantime.

Gave up zero even strength goals and PK is not a big shot blocker that is for sure, so doubt he would of made a difference in game.

Habs vs Leafs is always a 50:50 game no matter the state of either team

i thought was an OK but very sloppy game.

It was shades of last year all over again. A couple of bad penalties early and not rebounding until the 3rd. It is only the first game, you can't put much stock in the first game. The true test is how they respond next game.

One thing that did piss me off was the call on Pleks for snowing the goalie. I'd love to find how many times it was called last year, but I guarantee you can count it on 2 hands. Once was on Montreal last year and in the first period of the first game this year it's called again. It's one of those calls, that happens so often without getting called, it almost shows you the mindset of the refs. It's usually called as an equalizer penalty when the officials know they made a mistake in a previous call, so they call that penalty as an equalizer. That was the 3rd for Montreal and Toronto had none called against them, and they very well could of had a couple of questionable calls.

This is like the call on Neil in the Ottawa game where he was called for hitting from behind. He was going to hit Stuart shoulder to shoulder, Stuart saw this and turned his back at the last second. I been saying for years that rule needs to change. It should be in the same category as diving, your trying to draw a penalty on a hit that is legal. Sorry for the off-topic rant, had to get that out.

Plekanec's was a childish play and for sure deserved the call.

Markov's dive was also goofy and should not of been a Leaf penalty, but 79s acting paid off.

One thing that did piss me off was the call on Pleks for snowing the goalie. I'd love to find how many times it was called last year, but I guarantee you can count it on 2 hands. Once was on Montreal last year and in the first period of the first game this year it's called again. It's one of those calls, that happens so often without getting called, it almost shows you the mindset of the refs. It's usually called as an equalizer penalty when the officials know they made a mistake in a previous call, so they call that penalty as an equalizer. That was the 3rd for Montreal and Toronto had none called against them, and they very well could of had a couple of questionable calls.

Stupid penalty to have in the rulebook. Shambolic that Pleks was that stupid. He angled himself correctly, took and extra stride or two with the puck already covered, and very purposefully snowed the goalie. I don't care how many times it's called, when you are that blatantly obvious about doing something so unbelievably stupid, you deserve a penalty. He knew the rules, he figgered he just wasn't going to get called. Arrogant and... stupid.

My biggest issue with the whole thing? If, say, Galchenyuk does it? Benched. Since it's Pleks WHO SHOULD KNOW BETTER, nothing. Wasn't Therrien supposed to bring in accountability? Yeah right. Galy's mistake to get demoted (as far as I can tell)? Stayed on during a bonified scoring chance. For a team that can't score. Who were behind. Screw those instincts, kid, this is the Montreal Canadiens and we're gonna learn ya good! You cannot be standout player. WE MUST CRUSH YOU.

Too much Rocky? Too little? Did a flyby?

My biggest issue with the whole thing?  If, say, Galchenyuk does it?  Benched.  Since it's Pleks WHO SHOULD KNOW BETTER, nothing.  Wasn't Therrien supposed to bring in accountability?  Yeah right.  Galy's mistake to get demoted (as far as I can tell)?  Stayed on during a bonified scoring chance.  For a team that can't score.  Who were behind.  Screw those instincts, kid, this is the Montreal Canadiens and we're gonna learn ya good!  You cannot be standout player.  WE MUST CRUSH YOU.

Watching the game, I noted a few times that Galchenyuk was slow to get off but on the whole, his shifts weren't too long (see below for his TOI tracker).  I think the demotion stemmed more from the fact that Bourque was on his game than it was punishment for him.  The 2nd line was quiet for the most part through two so a tweak was tried.

27 GALCHENYUK, ALEX
Présence #

Shift #

Per Début/Start of Shift

Temps à écouler-Elapsed / Game

Fin/End of Shift

Temps à écouler-Elapsed / Game

Durée

Duration

Jeu/Event

G=But/Goal

P=Pénalité/Penalty

1 1 5:26 / 14:34 5:58 / 14:02 00:32  
2 1 7:00 / 13:00 7:46 / 12:14 00:46  
3 1 9:58 / 10:02 10:31 / 9:29 00:33  
4 1 15:13 / 4:47 15:56 / 4:04 00:43  
5 1 17:26 / 2:34 18:10 / 1:50 00:44  
6 1 19:02 / 0:58 19:41 / 0:19 00:39  
7 2 1:07 / 18:53 2:33 / 17:27 01:26  
8 2 3:51 / 16:09 4:43 / 15:17 00:52  
9 2 6:43 / 13:17 6:46 / 13:14 00:03  
10 2 6:46 / 13:14 7:14 / 12:46 00:28 P
11 2 12:31 / 7:29 12:51 / 7:09 00:20  
12 2 13:43 / 6:17 14:55 / 5:05 01:12  
13 2 18:40 / 1:20 19:35 / 0:25 00:55  
14 3 0:42 / 19:18 0:59 / 19:01 00:17  
15 3 5:03 / 14:57 5:46 / 14:14 00:43  
16 3 9:48 / 10:12 10:36 / 9:24 00:48  
17 3 15:46 / 4:14 16:52 / 3:08 01:06  
18 3 18:53 / 1:07 19:52 / 0:08 00:59  

Per PR/SHF MOY./AVG Temps/TOI FÉ/EV TOT AN/PP TOT DN/SH TOT
1 6 00:39 03:57 03:18 00:39 00:00
2 7 00:45 05:16 04:04 01:12 00:00
3 5 00:46 03:53 03:53 00:00 00:00
TOT 18 00:43 13:06 11:15 01:51 00:00

Stupid penalty to have in the rulebook. Shambolic that Pleks was that stupid. He angled himself correctly, took and extra stride or two with the puck already covered, and very purposefully snowed the goalie. I don't care how many times it's called, when you are that blatantly obvious about doing something so unbelievably stupid, you deserve a penalty. He knew the rules, he figgered he just wasn't going to get called. Arrogant and... stupid.

My biggest issue with the whole thing? If, say, Galchenyuk does it? Benched. Since it's Pleks WHO SHOULD KNOW BETTER, nothing. Wasn't Therrien supposed to bring in accountability? Yeah right. Galy's mistake to get demoted (as far as I can tell)? Stayed on during a bonified scoring chance. For a team that can't score. Who were behind. Screw those instincts, kid, this is the Montreal Canadiens and we're gonna learn ya good! You cannot be standout player. WE MUST CRUSH YOU.

Too much Rocky? Too little? Did a flyby?

Was Galchenyuk punished? or was he put on the third line and Bourque on the second in an attempt to shake things up and get more offence?

I think its the latter and you are seeing something that isn't there.