P.K. Subban signs 2 year, $5.75M deal

HabsTrick450

It also serves no purpose to beleive everything read or said by the media. Plus, I'm in the group that thinks the old guard of hockey is what lead to this sometimes boring brand of hockey; I don't want it to reach NBA level promotion, but I am sick to death of the Sidney Crosby boring monotone, bullcrap interviews.

ok so you ask the guys who are going to give you the response you are looking for. I never saw an interview with Carey (the franchise) Price who happens to love Pk and is probably ecstatic that he is back.

However the Hollywood side of PK probably does rub the veterans the wrong way. He will grow up, and calm down, but I hope he never loses that passion that makes him an overachiever. There are some guys on the team that could use a little of that.

My boss announced me that I would work 32 hours instead of 38 from now on.

I said that I was good with that and smiled. But seriously, I started looking for another job.

I love when people compare the life of pro athletes to their mundane jobs. Hint: it's not the same thing. Pro Sports shouldn't be compared to anything but pro sports. It's like apples and oranges.

• Upvote 1

McDonagh got us Galchenyuk. Think of it that way, makes me smile inside.

I hadn't thought of that. That's a great way of looking at it, I like it!

It also serves no purpose to beleive everything read or said by the media. Plus, I'm in the group that thinks the old guard of hockey is what lead to this sometimes boring brand of hockey; I don't want it to reach NBA level promotion, but I am sick to death of the Sidney Crosby boring monotone, bullcrap interviews.

I have been a journalist all my life and know quite a bit about the job. In the present situation, given what's been written in the media, I would say that there is a lot more to the story than what meets the eye. In other words, the guys probably know stuff they can't report, but, if you knew, would give you a better sense of the problems facing the club with a talented egocentric player like Subban. I don't mean that the young guy is a monster, but he needs guidance and a firm hand to help him in becoming a successful professional. That's why you need good management -- to develop players. If they fail in their responsibilities, they will share a big part of the blame. That's called accountability.

ok so you ask the guys who are going to give you the response you are looking for. I never saw an interview with Carey (the franchise) Price who happens to love Pk and is probably ecstatic that he is back.

However the Hollywood side of PK probably does rub the veterans the wrong way. He will grow up, and calm down, but I hope he never loses that passion that makes him an overachiever. There are some guys on the team that could use a little of that.

Price was nowhere to give an interview about Subban, which seemed odd to those who follow the team.

I love when people compare the life of pro athletes to their mundane jobs. Hint: it's not the same thing. Pro Sports shouldn't be compared to anything but pro sports. It's like apples and oranges.

While I don't think Joe's example made any sense and I don't agree with his perspective generally...I don't really agree that it's apples and oranges.

Why should a "mundane job" be considered different? Lots of people upgrade their training, take work home with them, have pressure to perform for varieties of reasons and many work more hours per week.

What is it that separates the pro athlete's job from someone elses? These guys train, play a sport and deal with the pressure to perform for a paycheque the same as everyone else...the difference is that their paycheque is larger. Not really sure I follow the logic that implies they are on some sort of pedestal.

While I don't think Joe's example made any sense and I don't agree with his perspective generally...I don't really agree that it's apples and oranges.

Why should a "mundane job" be considered different? Lots of people upgrade their training, take work home with them, have pressure to perform for varieties of reasons and many work more hours per week.

What is it that separates the pro athlete's job from someone elses? These guys train, play a sport and deal with the pressure to perform for a paycheque the same as everyone else...the difference is that their paycheque is larger. Not really sure I follow the logic that implies they are on some sort of pedestal.

Unfortunately, like the movie actors, pop signers and politicians, they are on a some sort of pedestal. It comes with incredible benefits (money, women, privileges of all sorts), but it's also tough to handle psychologicaly. In fact, a lot of «stars» become total wrecks, because they feel too good in the «candy store». You have to be solid emotionaly to keep a cool head when you are young and famous. You also need help, good parents and friends, to speak to you frankly when you need it.

That is very different from what the «mundane people» has to go through -- which is not to say that we have it easy. Far from it, as you know.

I have been a journalist all my life and know quite a bit about the job. In the present situation, given what's been written in the media, I would say that there is a lot more to the story than what meets the eye. In other words, the guys probably know stuff they can't report, but, if you knew, would give you a better sense of the problems facing the club with a talented egocentric player like Subban. I don't mean that the young guy is a monster, but he needs guidance and a firm hand to help in becoming a successful professional. That's why you need good management -- to develop players. If they fail in their responsibilities, they will share a big part of the blame.

Right. I think we need to recognize that this may be a genuine concern, and probably goes some distance toward explaining MB's reluctance to lock PK in to a lucrative long-term deal. Management is being prudent and intelligent. Now it's up to Subban.

Right. I think we need to recognize that this may be a genuine concern, and probably goes some distance toward explaining MB's reluctance to lock PK in to a lucrative long-term deal. Management is being prudent and intelligent. Now it's up to Subban.

Absolutely.

Unfortunately, like the movie actors, pop signers and politicians, they are on a some sort of pedestal. It comes with incredible benefits (money, women, privileges of all sorts), but it's also tough to handle psychologicaly. In fact, a lot of «stars» become total wrecks, because they feel too good in the «candy store». You have to be solid emotionaly to keep a cool head when you are young and famous. You also need help, good parents and friends, to speak to you frankly when you need it.

That is very different from what the «mundane people» has to go through -- which is not to say that we have it easy. Far from it, as you know.

I'll pass that along to every guy I know who went through a mid-life crisis because of work and family pressures...lol

Just tell them that it's okay...they could have become psychological wrecks if they were famous and rich pro athletes because of all the money, women and other privileges. ;)

Seriously, the pressures faced by a pro athlete may be different, as they are different with many jobs, but it doesn't mean people don't face pressures every day. Tell that to the sales guy who has pressure to meet numbers or even earn a commission to make pay. Or doctors/nurses who literally have peoples lives in their hands. Or engineers who have to ensure the building doesn't fall down. Or the customer service guy who essentially gets yelled at every day since he's the first call when there is a problem. Everyone deals with different forms of stress/pressure at work...pro athletes at least get better perks along the way. And everyone can use friends and families to lean on when it gets rough...

I'll pass that along to every guy I know who went through a mid-life crisis because of work and family pressures...lol

Just tell them that it's okay...they could have become psychological wrecks if they were famous and rich pro athletes because of all the money, women and other privileges. ;)

Seriously, the pressures faced by a pro athlete may be different, as they are different with many jobs, but it doesn't mean people don't face pressures every day. Tell that to the sales guy who has pressure to meet numbers or even earn a commission to make pay. Or doctors/nurses who literally have peoples lives in their hands. Or engineers who have to ensure the building doesn't fall down. Or the customer service guy who essentially gets yelled at every day since he's the first call when there is a problem. Everyone deals with different forms of stress/pressure at work...pro athletes at least get better perks along the way. And everyone can use friends and families to lean on when it gets rough...

You're right, and we don't have the benefits. But what I meant was that, sometimes, depending of the individual, fame can become a curse.

If you talk to people around the belleville bulls, you would not be shocked to find out that PK rubs some people the wrong way. It has nothing to do with race as his brothers are well liked in the room of te bulls because they have very different personalities. PK has a personality that some will love, some will tolerate, and others will hate. It is just who he is.

Now go into a team full of veterans with families, older friends, who can barely tolerate young guns as it is. Are you really shocked some of them are annoyed by PK and even more by hearing about him constantly. I though Gorges was rather less them subtle when he said it wasn't about one guy, it was about the team. I don't like the fact that they acted that way in front of the press and feel they should handle it in the room.

I don't think this was just media hype. Several guys like Doug McLean were Really pissed at what they saw. Not what they heard as a rumor, what they saw. I saw it too and I expect better leadership from the veteran players. Smile, say its great to have him back, but they want to focus on the game tonight. The more I saw, the more I preferred Markov's comments. He is grumpy, but essentially he said PK wasn't in the room and he doesn't discuss things like that in game day. Fine.. Gorges shouldn't have gone on about team and stuff, nor should Cole.

If you talk to people around the belleville bulls, you would not be shocked to find out that PK rubs some people the wrong way. It has nothing to do with race as his brothers are well liked in the room of te bulls because they have very different personalities. PK has a personality that some will love, some will tolerate, and others will hate. It is just who he is.

Now go into a team full of veterans with families, older friends, who can barely tolerate young guns as it is. Are you really shocked some of them are annoyed by PK and even more by hearing about him constantly. I though Gorges was rather less them subtle when he said it wasn't about one guy, it was about the team. I don't like the fact that they acted that way in front of the press and feel they should handle it in the room.

I don't think this was just media hype. Several guys like Doug McLean were Really pissed at what they saw. Not what they heard as a rumor, what they saw. I saw it too and I expect better leadership from the veteran players. Smile, say its great to have him back, but they want to focus on the game tonight. The more I saw, the more I preferred Markov's comments. He is grumpy, but essentially he said PK wasn't in the room and he doesn't discuss things like that in game day. Fine.. Gorges shouldn't have gone on about team and stuff, nor should Cole.

It was very cold, even brutal. But they weren't specific either, which would have been over the top. I do not disapprove what they did however. I simply believe that the situation, in the light of what they have gone through last year, was becoming more and more difficult to tolerate. This is a new era and the message is pretty clear: no more fooling around P.K. Nobody is more important than the team, and if you don't behave, you will have to deal with us.

I love when people think that because they make big money, pro athletes have no feelings and just don't care about anything.

I was just pointing out that it is not because Subban tells the medias that he's happy with what he got that it is necessarily true.

Could have chosen any other potential "lie"...

This stuff is making me laugh. PK is not a western farm boy like Jay Bouwmeester or Chris Phillips. He's from the big city, mixed in with a Jamaican background. He's probably got more in common with Allen Iverson. The hockey world is going to have to deal with it. So what if he's egocentric or selfish. If he puts up, they'll all have to shut up. And if Markov has a problem, he should look in the mirror. I seem to recall him being healthy for country, but not for our favorite team.

This stuff is making me laugh. PK is not a western farm boy like Jay Bouwmeester or Chris Phillips. He's from the big city, mixed in with a Jamaican background. He's probably got more in common with Allen Iverson. The hockey world is going to have to deal with it. So what if he's egocentric or selfish. If he puts up, they'll all have to shut up. And if Markov has a problem, he should look in the mirror. I seem to recall him being healthy for country, but not for our favorite team.

It has nothing to do with race or background. His brothers have different personalities and have had none of these issues.

I really like PK but I am not surprised some people on the team might not. I have no issue with that as long as they keep it in the room.

I agree with Bob McKenzie... It gets overblown, but there is something to it.

Good news for P.K.; after tonight, anybody not wanting Subban in and Kaberle out should probably have their head examined

Uhhhh, did Markov score? No? Bench *him*!

The timing is perfect. I said a few days ago that we would need a shot of PK once the winning streak broke. If he can find his game quickly, he will be just the added boost we need to curtail any possible slump. I predict one more loss as the team works on integrating him, followed by a nice little run as one of the league's better bluelines starts hitting its stride :thumbs_up:

It was very cold, even brutal. But they weren't specific either, which would have been over the top. I do not disapprove what they did however. I simply believe that the situation, in the light of what they have gone through last year, was becoming more and more difficult to tolerate. This is a new era and the message is pretty clear: no more fooling around P.K. Nobody is more important than the team, and if you don't behave, you will have to deal with us.

When I heard those quotes I interpreted it as more of a commentary on how the media shouldn't make it about one guy and there is an entire team here...maybe I'm wrong, I honestly haven't followed all the quotes in context or detail. I saw it as the media comes in before a game and starts talking about Subban as though they can't live without him and how do they feel about his return...Gorge effectively says he's happy to focus on hockey and Markov says the guys not in the room and he's getting ready for a game (ergo, we don't want answer stupid questions about a player that's not here yet so piss off). The media then tries to spin it into "locker room trouble" and how the vets don't like Subban. The fans feed the trolls and the media is happy so they keep on that track until it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. This really is typical of Montreal's media whores...so I just assume that's what's happening here.

It has nothing to do with race or background. His brothers have different personalities and have had none of these issues.

I really like PK but I am not surprised some people on the team might not. I have no issue with that as long as they keep it in the room.

I agree with Bob McKenzie... It gets overblown, but there is something to it.

It's a tricky subject to deal with. PK is a disliked player around the league by fans, especially in big cities like Philadelphia and Boston. I believe there's an element of racism in that. We're all read the "tweets". To say the league and his actual teammates feel any of this, I sure hope not. But I certainly don't know, and neither do you.

The timing is perfect. I said a few days ago that we would need a shot of PK once the winning streak broke. If he can find his game quickly, he will be just the added boost we need to curtail any possible slump. I predict one more loss as the team works on integrating him, followed by a nice little run as one of the league's better bluelines starts hitting its stride :thumbs_up:

Agreed. I'm tired of other fans shitting on this team... I really believe we have a solid line up here.

I'm also tired of the flack from Leafs fans who finished an entire 2 points ahead of us last season and feel all high and mighty :P