P.K. Subban signs 2 year, $5.75M deal

HabsTrick450

On racism: I don't think it's overt or in most cases even conscious. The point is that many people's gut reaction to PK is shaped (I would argue) in part by his race. When I see classless scumbags like Brad Marchand being embraced as blood and guts heroes by 'old school' jerks like Cherry even as they rip into Subban, I really have to wonder what the difference is. Part of it is the sweater. The other part of it is a mostly subconscious unease with an 'uppity' black guy.

Bbp: going into the season, my big critique of the team was that it was counting on Markov on the blueline and on rookies to step in and make an impact up front. As long as these two ingredients continue to hold up, I am cautiously optimistic we will continue surprise people. The minute either element falters, we will probably slide back into mediocrity. For now, both Markov and the kids have surpassed my wildest expecations and I'm loving every bit of it.

Bbp: going into the season, my big critique of the team was that it was counting on Markov on the blueline and on rookies to step in and make an impact up front. As long as these two ingredients continue to hold up, I am cautiously optimistic we will continue surprise people. The minute either element falters, we will probably slide back into mediocrity. For now, both Markov and the kids have surpassed my wildest expecations and I'm loving every bit of it.

I was very optimistic heading into the season for a few reasons. One we lost a lot of close games last year. A lot. This is easily reversed by more depth. Something we achieved with Prust, Armstrong, Bouillion, and the prospect of rookies. Think who we had in the lineup some nights... Palushaj, St Dennis... freaking Ian Schultz was called up for gods sake... yes he didn't play but the fact he went from NHL call up to mediocre ECHL is a signal to how bad our depth was when injuries struck.

My thought was with the added depth we would be back in the hunt for 8th. I also expected top line to fall back a bit, but a better season from Gio and Pleks would counter balance that and we would still be in the battle for a playoff spot between 8-6. Depending on how healthy we are.

My ONE concern, not that I want to jinx anything, is that Price can't get hurt. Plain and simple he just can't. If he does we go down in a burning heap.

It's a tricky subject to deal with. PK is a disliked player around the league by fans, especially in big cities like Philadelphia and Boston. I believe there's an element of racism in that. We're all read the "tweets". To say the league and his actual teammates feel any of this, I sure hope not. But I certainly don't know, and neither do you.

They won't have much to say after pretty much every fanbase said, "Why don't we offer sheet PK?"

You can find Photoshopped pictures of Subban in a Flyers sweater around the Internet.

Piss off Therrien about maybe not playing Subban this weekend.

Even at 75% of shape and with 2 practices, he can bring more than Kaberle (let alone Weber).

Piss off Therrien about maybe not playing Subban this weekend.

Even at 75% of shape and with 2 practices, he can bring more than Kaberle (let alone Weber).

Better not to play him. After waiting to sign that contract its better for him to come back at 100% as to not under-perform for his teammates or get the media all in his face.

Better not to play him. After waiting to sign that contract its better for him to come back at 100% as to not under-perform for his teammates or get the media all in his face.

cant actually get into 100% game shape without actually getting into games.

• Upvote 1

cant actually get into 100% game shape without actually getting into games.

Yah but considering how long it has been since he has played... he needs more then just two practices.

Haha TSN has reported that Price said the habs have banned the triple low five Price and Subban did.. W T F...

Only team celebrations are now tolerated. The Canadiens this season

skate to centre ice after wins and raise their sticks to the fans.

"It's a team concept," said Therrien of the team rule. "You have to respect the game, the other team and the fans.

"The way we decided to celebrate this year is to salute the fans because they deserve it."

If it's about the fans, then most want to see good friends on a team get excited about a win with the triple-low-five.

But hey, Therrien, keep stifling all that personality and make him a "better person", you douchenozzle.

I think people are just overreacting. They are trying to build a team first concept so at the end of the game they want them to celebrate as a team and salute the fans as a team. A lot of teams have been doing this the past few years and it's about time the habs finally started doing it.

I'm betting people whined about it. NHL locker rooms can be so pathetic.

"Wahhhh I scored the game winning goal but I'm notnot allowed in Price and Subbans super exclusive celebration! CBC only spent five seconds showing me and 10 showing their low five! WAHHHHH WHERE'S THE TEAM CONCEPT."

I think people are just overreacting. They are trying to build a team first concept so at the end of the game they want them to celebrate as a team and salute the fans as a team. A lot of teams have been doing this the past few years and it's about time the habs finally started doing it.

Why not both?

Honestly, why not?

Apparently because Price and Subban need to be Therrien's good, little automatons.

Why not both?

Honestly, why not?

Apparently because Price and Subban need to be Therrien's good, little automatons.

- Because they are trying to build a team concept and teach some of the younger players that it's not about the individual but the team.

- Doing both starts to get to the point of being excessive celebration.

- It looked kind of stupid as a last place team last year so lets win something first.

- As a fan it's never fun having other teams mock your celebrations (Price getting mocked by Fleury)

Oh boo hoo.

Prepare for teams to now mock the low five because they know the team can't do it back.

The NHL is full of stiffs. No wonder it'll never be enjoyed by more people. Why watch a game where you can't celebrate your own way?

lol, so the reason why people don't watch hockey is because when the game is over some players can't celebrate the way they want?

lol, so the reason why people don't watch hockey is because when the game is over some players can't celebrate the way they want?

Because the NHL breeds a culture of boring, cliche conformity. Don't be charming. Don't be memorable. Go out there, give 110% and stick the game plan.

Why would a casual fan get gripped by something that lacks personality?

• Upvote 1

A while ago, Don Cherry criticized Ovechkin's burning stick celebration as being too much like Soccer. What he failed to recognize is that Futbol is the most popular sport in the world. A large part of it is the jubilant celebrations players have after scoring goals. It's the kind of excitement that unites whole countries.

Good to see that the NHL is working hard to make its product as entertaining as possible after forcing its fans to sit for months through a totally unnecessary lockout. :rolleyes: What a bunch of jackasses.

Incidentally, does anyone remember if Don Cherry condemned Tiger Williams' stick-riding every time he scored with anything like the intensity he's brought to non-issues like this? I always detect a whiff of double standard in these matters.

The idea that a flamboyant low-five is some mortal insult to the honour of the other team, or some violation of 'team concept,' basically reveals NHL players to be whiny hyper-sensitive babies. Way to honour the game.