Feb. 2, Sabres vs Habs, 2 PM

dlbalr

I wouldn't split Prust - Galy - Gally for the rest of the season. Besides being physical, he's solid defensively, clearly being trusted in his own end on the PK. He can take faceoffs and adds a sense of safeness to the rookies because he can and will stand up for them. I think just the aspect of him standing up for them aids their progression more than anything Eller can bring to that line. They won't get grinded out because of it, won't be demoralized because of lots of over-the-top physical play. Rookie's are easy target to be pushed around, but with Prust standing beside them, the other team definitely will think twice before pushing them around.

I think now we have 2 solid lines and once Wolvie gets back we'll have 3. The matchups against Prust - Galy squared(like that term btw) will be more favorable for them and make them that much more dangerous.

I agree 100%

re the broadcasting-really-overall there has to be better talent available then we get currently. You know my feelings on Bob Cole, Healey has a Maple Leaf tatooed on his behind, Hughson is Capt Canuck and going to the other networks, Johnson and Randorf have noticeable lisps. Honestly there is better talent on Sportsnet coverage of the OHL and AHL.

-Ron McLean and Grapes "Organ Grinder and Monkey Routine" are really wearing thin.

I want to echo Turd Burglar; while Prust has been flying under the radar, overshadowed by flashier names (Galy squared, Markov, Subban, Price), I think he's been a really key addition who is contributing a lot to the kids' success. And if any one player represents the apparent shift in attitude in favour of chipiness and truculence on this team, it's him.

I don't want to be premature about it, but on the whole this team is starting to give me the same eerie feeling I had early in 2008 - specifically, an early game against Florida where I found myself suddenly sitting up and going, 'wait a minute...that can't be the Habs looking that good?'

If Markov stays healthy and the kids keep rolling, we could be the Surprise of the Year.

I want to echo Turd Burglar; while Prust has been flying under the radar, overshadowed by flashier names (Galy squared, Markov, Subban, Price), I think he's been a really key addition who is contributing a lot to the kids' success. And if any one player represents the apparent shift in attitude in favour of chipiness and truculence on this team, it's him.

I don't want to be premature about it, but on the whole this team is starting to give me the same eerie feeling I had early in 2008 - specifically, an early game against Florida where I found myself suddenly sitting up and going, 'wait a minute...that can't be the Habs looking that good?'

If Markov stays healthy and the kids keep rolling, we could be the Surprise of the Year.

As long as people can keep Marleau off the score sheet :P

I wouldn't split Prust - Galy - Gally for the rest of the season.

I think it'll be "mid-season" and Chucky will be centring the first line )and by that I mean taking Desh's place. Now, having said that, I think leaving things "as is" would potentially mean better 3-line scoring, but for a true #1 line, it's going to have to (eventually) have Chucky taking the #1C spot.

I think it'll be "mid-season" and Chucky will be centring the first line )and by that I mean taking Desh's place. Now, having said that, I think leaving things "as is" would potentially mean better 3-line scoring, but for a true #1 line, it's going to have to (eventually) have Chucky taking the #1C spot.

Well, Chucky is certainly projected to be a bona-fide, star-calibre #1 C and nothing in his early play contradicts that expectation. But y'know, let's not forget that the Desharnais line was something like the NHL's 5th best scoring line last season. DD is obviously not a premier NHL centreman, but if we're talking lines rather than individuals, it's not clear that we would have anything to gain in breaking up that trio.

I have no problem at all with rolling three impact lines rather than busting up Cole-DD-Patches in the name of ritually anointing Galy the Offical #1 C.

Still, the future is open country...anything can happen.

We can't forget this is still Galy squared's first season. While Galyenchuck is potentially our #1 center for the future, I see nothing wrong with keeping him in a position to succeed. If we can establish 3 scoring lines, to me, it would be more beneficial to roll 3 lines on even shifts than to split the lines. Last season we had 1 line showing chemistry that was Wolvie - DD - Cole. This year, we have a bonafied first line in Bourque - Pleks - Gionta, a line we all wanted to succeed last year but due to injuries and attitudes, never really gelled. Having our best line last year being our worst line this year give a huge sense of optimism. Let's face it, Wolvie - DD - Cole were good last year, but Bourque - Pleks - Gionta are raising the bar. They are dominating other teams. At times today it looked as if Pleks was on an island, looked like Bourque was unstoppable, they made Gionta look like he wasn't our hardest worker. We all know how hard Gionta works every shift.

Barring major injuries, our biggest problem is our 4th line and backup goalie. Thats not something us hab fans have been able to say in a very very long time.

We can't forget this is still Galy squared's first season. While Galyenchuck is potentially our #1 center for the future, I see nothing wrong with keeping him in a position to succeed. If we can establish 3 scoring lines, to me, it would be more beneficial to roll 3 lines on even shifts than to split the lines. Last season we had 1 line showing chemistry that was Wolvie - DD - Cole. This year, we have a bonafied first line in Bourque - Pleks - Gionta, a line we all wanted to succeed last year but due to injuries and attitudes, never really gelled. Having our best line last year being our worst line this year give a huge sense of optimism. Let's face it, Wolvie - DD - Cole were good last year, but Bourque - Pleks - Gionta are raising the bar. They are dominating other teams. At times today it looked as if Pleks was on an island, looked like Bourque was unstoppable, they made Gionta look like he wasn't our hardest worker. We all know how hard Gionta works every shift.

Barring major injuries, our biggest problem is our 4th line and backup goalie. Thats not something us hab fans have been able to say in a very very long time.

I see no issues with our forth line. Moen-White-Armstrong is a great energy line, excluding White's one game where he lost his discipline.

A word for Bourque and the space he creates by driving the net.

He does a lot for his linemates, he found a role. Nobody gave it to him

he earned it.

Desharnais,he is under pressure and these two goals must have done good

for him,i don't understand why some people want to throw him under the bus

before wh have the tools to replace him. He will be most probably a necessary

dump of salary at the end of the year for next year cap but meanwhile why not consider

him as a great bargain and live with was bringing.

I see no issues with our forth line. Moen-White-Armstrong is a great energy line, excluding White's one game where he lost his discipline.

I agree. 90% of the time, this 4th line will be a great one. The Sens game was part of the 10%.

A word for Bourque and the space he creates by driving the net.

He does a lot for his linemates, he found a role. Nobody gave it to him

he earned it.

Desharnais,he is under pressure and these two goals must have done good

for him,i don't understand why some people want to throw him under the bus

before wh have the tools to replace him. He will be most probably a necessary

dump of salary at the end of the year for next year cap but meanwhile why not consider

him as a great bargain and live with was bringing.

I don't see Desharnais as a necessary salary dump.

With Subban's contract being low.... they can squeeze everyone they currently have under next year's cap (Assuming Desharnais doesn't break the bank, and I doubt he will).... also assuming they aren't going big name UFA shopping.

If they buy out Kaberle, then they can go shopping.

Agreed. I'm hoping someone will take a flyer on Kaberle at the trade deadline, otherwise he HAS to be bought at next year. He made a couple of nice plays last night but looked horrible on other plays.

I don't see Desharnais as a necessary salary dump.

With Subban's contract being low.... they can squeeze everyone they currently have under next year's cap (Assuming Desharnais doesn't break the bank, and I doubt he will).... also assuming they aren't going big name UFA shopping.

If they buy out Kaberle, then they can go shopping.

Great game by our Habs yesterday afternoon. Loved everything about that game.Everyone showed up and P.K. looked good out there.

As far as replacing D.D. with Chucky on the first line, I don't thinik we should do anything just yet. CHucky seems to be doing really well with Gally and Prust. Don'T touch anything for this season. Leave the kid a chance to get comfortable in the NHL.

Great game by our Habs yesterday afternoon. Loved everything about that game.Everyone showed up and P.K. looked good out there.

As far as replacing D.D. with Chucky on the first line, I don't thinik we should do anything just yet. CHucky seems to be doing really well with Gally and Prust. Don'T touch anything for this season. Leave the kid a chance to get comfortable in the NHL.

I don't understand this impulse to mess with success either. As for DD, he has earned the right to work his way out of his early-season slump. Fans are so fast to throw people on the junk pile, it's just nuts.

Looks like the Sabres never got over their loss to the Habs on Saturday. Another loss in Florida.

As far as Desharnais is concerned, I think it's safe to say his "slump" is over. 3 goals in 2 games.

I am not sold on DD long term, but until we have a better option he will have to do. People forget that moving Chucky to the top lines puts him against the top lines or top shut down lines on the other team. I wouldn't be so quick to do that yet. He is still finding his way and he is still learning to take draws. Right now he is contributing while learning and that is all we should hope for from a kid his age.

Looks like the Sabres never got over their loss to the Habs on Saturday. Another loss in Florida.

As far as Desharnais is concerned, I think it's safe to say his "slump" is over. 3 goals in 2 games.

Scoring goals, for sure. But his overall game is still nowhere near where it was last season. He's making far too many turnovers and poor decisions. Having said that, there is ample evidence of improvement over the first handful of games, so let's see where things lead in the next five or so.

Desharnais needs Wolvie. That was the whole reason they were put together, because of their chemistry in the AHL. Cole did a great job of providing a veteran to a young line with potential. Last season he gelled with them nicely. The fact is that line is nothing without both Wolvie and DD on it. I think we saw proof of that while Wolvie was hurt. They had 1 break out game and that all seemed to be feeding from Eller. While Cole may be the veteran on that line I think he really benefits from the focus on the line being on DD and Wolvie, instead of DD and Cole.

The most impressive thing this season is the great chemistry between Pleks and Bourque. I hated on Bourque all last season, watched him play in Calgary a few game, but he's taken his game to a whole new level this year. He is doing everything right to be top-20 in goals this year, especially with Pleks with him. The play where Bourque drives down the middle to the net and Pleks passes it to him is so dangerous. The best part is Bourque is fighting off the defender the same time and looks comfortable doing so.

Desharnais needs Wolvie. That was the whole reason they were put together, because of their chemistry in the AHL. Cole did a great job of providing a veteran to a young line with potential. Last season he gelled with them nicely. The fact is that line is nothing without both Wolvie and DD on it. I think we saw proof of that while Wolvie was hurt. They had 1 break out game and that all seemed to be feeding from Eller. While Cole may be the veteran on that line I think he really benefits from the focus on the line being on DD and Wolvie, instead of DD and Cole.

The most impressive thing this season is the great chemistry between Pleks and Bourque. I hated on Bourque all last season, watched him play in Calgary a few game, but he's taken his game to a whole new level this year. He is doing everything right to be top-20 in goals this year, especially with Pleks with him. The play where Bourque drives down the middle to the net and Pleks passes it to him is so dangerous. The best part is Bourque is fighting off the defender the same time and looks comfortable doing so.

Bourque has shown a great game, exactly what the team needed when we went out and acquired him. But it may be important to keep in mind Habs29's warnings about his pattern of getting hot for a while, then going AWOL. We may yet be cursing Bourque before the season is out. (Now why Habs29 was willing to tolerate three-month-long slumps from that alcoholic reprobate Kostitsyn but not from Bourque is another question :lol: Just teasing, big guy ).

Bourque has shown a great game, exactly what the team needed when we went out and acquired him. But it may be important to keep in mind Habs29's warnings about his pattern of getting hot for a while, then going AWOL. We may yet be cursing Bourque before the season is out. (Now why Habs29 was willing to tolerate three-month-long slumps from that alcoholic reprobate Kostitsyn but not from Bourque is another question :lol: Just teasing, big guy ).

Unless your Crosby, Stamkos or Malkin if you are a goal scorer, you will have slumps when you are not producing. THere is a big difference between AK46 and Bourque when they didn't produce. When AK46 wasn't producing he was still a physical presance. He was always among the leaders on the team in being physical and hitting the opposition. With Bourque, despite his size, he would completely disappear. Be a perimeter player who was invisible. The HNIC critique on Bourque by Hrudy last year, was one of the few times I agreed with a HNIC analyst not named Friedman.

Be a perimeter player who was invisible. The HNIC critique on Bourque by Hrudy last year, was one of the few times I agreed with a HNIC analyst not named Friedman.

I like Hrudey and Friedman. Elliotte is the heir apparent to Pierre Lebrun for NHL goings-on, and Kelly is the only former-player-turned-analyst that can talk about the nuance of the game without ostracizing the room and the viewer (while not being batshit insane like Healey/Stock)