Feb. 9, Leafs vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

Well, Prust has secured the league lead in PIMS for a while. Give him 67 on the season through 11 games. I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again, something's gotta give with the faceoffs. Plekanec was 4/19, Desharnais 5/16, Cole 0/5 (that's a lot of faceoffs for a winger). I'm certainly glad I'm not writing the 3 Stars tonight...

Well, Prust has secured the league lead in PIMS for a while. Give him 67 on the season through 11 games. I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again, something's gotta give with the faceoffs. Plekanec was 4/19, Desharnais 5/16, Cole 0/5 (that's a lot of faceoffs for a winger). I'm certainly glad I'm not writing the 3 Stars tonight...

Bozak 19/23....... :o

Bozak 19/23....... :o

Well, the guy IS a legend :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what people demanding that we get bigger want exactly. This team has more big/chippy players than we've had in literally decades. And you don't think teams like the Bruins already had a mandate to try to run the Habs out of the rink?

The issue here was that they were not ready to play. They wanted (and perhaps needed) a night off. A blowout is the worst moment for evaluating a team. I wouldn't go shipping out Pleks for Colton Orr just yet.

Well Cherry was right. Don't slash a goon if your not prepared for the consequences. Orr didn't even knee pleks. yes, the team is biger and tougher than years past but theyare still too small and soft. They have a smurf on 3 lines and 2 defense pairings. Diaz is really soft in his own end.

That was an old school beating. They lost all the battles, all the faceoffs, They were clueless in their own end. As habinator pointed out it was last year revisited.

4 regulation losses, 3 goals for. You nor winning like that. They forgot where the middle of the ice is again. A put 27 beween Cole Paces. Eller with Prust Gallagher and DD can sit a few out.

MT needs to stop the whining about the other players. He should complain about the bite. He needs to complain about the players not showing up and playing playng liek powder puff girls.

A few things

1) Effort is unacceptable... MT must bag skate the team.

I can't think of a single player who played well.

2) That said, a GM must be different from coach, MB can not overreact to one bad loss or even a bad week... the roster evaluation must be more long term and not an overreaction to small sample size.

3) Not sure a pure goon would have helped on the Orr incident. Moen was on the bench, Prust was in the box. By the time our two best
fighters can get on the ice, the damage is done. Having a 4 minute per game goon doesn't help because by the time he can get up off the bench, all the players are in the box or thrown out of the game already.

4) I'm glad we traded Grabovski, I don't care how many points he scores, he's a little bi-otch, and an embarrassment to the game. Biting is
totally unacceptable.

5) Win a faceoff FFS

I agree with what you said about MB. He won't panic. He knows the team needs to get bigger and tougher. They don't need a pure goon but they need a heavy weight. Prust and White are light heavy weights at best. Moen just isn't the fighter he used to be.

The D other than Emelin is pretty soft. Markov and Subban can hold there own and win battles. I have been disappointed with Gorges. I would consider putting him back with Subban. The cube is tough and rugged, but i prefer 6;4' tough and rugged. Hopefully Tinordi is ready sooner than later

The only good news I can take out of tonight is that it is extremely unlikely that any other game this year will be as bad. And no one got hurt. *fingers crossed Price is actually ok*

I'm not gonna make excuses, but the reffing was appalling and we had some serious bad luck.

Can't wait til the rematch.

• Upvote 2

Orr responded to Prust's go with Graboski. Quiet frankly, I think the Leafs let the boys off lightly.

What Orr did was bush league. He plays 2 mins a game and goes out to target skilled players. He's ECHL at best. The rest of the antics where spurr of the moment heated exchanges. Orr wasn't even involved in the game, someone will knock his marshmellow brain out of the league again soon

What Orr did was bush league. He plays 2 mins a game and goes out to target skilled players. He's ECHL at best. The rest of the antics where spurr of the moment heated exchanges. Orr wasn't even involved in the game, someone will knock his marshmellow brain out of the league again soon

What do you think Prust did?

Everyone says sit DD at least he is battling out there where is cole? same could be said for patches. Those two are not plating anywhere near what they can supposed to be our better players

I second that!!!!!

Cole's play this year is exactly why i didn't like giving him a 4 year deal. He was amazing this year and hopefully he's having another slow start. But frankly, I want to separate Cole and DD from MaxPac. Don't need them dragging him down as well right now.

Why is Orr buhleague or a minor leager? He had one more asssit then any hab player? He does his job just fine. I wish the habs had a few heavy weights like that 4th line.Again, Pleks slashed his hand, Orr didn't even really touch him. If your going to mess with the bull your going to get the horns.

You can't fault him for throwing down Gionta or dropping Bourqur. Gionta went after him, Bourque was the thirf man in.

I would be a little more concerned with the Habs team that showed up and i use the term loosely. They looked like a bad AHL team.

Cole's play this year is exactly why i didn't like giving him a 4 year deal. He was amazing this year and hopefully he's having another slow start. But frankly, I want to separate Cole and DD from MaxPac. Don't need them dragging him down as well right now.

Cole should sit next game. A lot of guys should tho. Put eller at center move DD to the wing with patches. Eller has been working hard and just might rub off on the other two.

I dont want a big goon, i want a big power forward that can muscle to the net. I want a big defenceman who can match up to other teams power forwards.

We have three such forwards in our top six: Cole, Pacioretty, and Bourque. That's three more than we had in the Semi-Finals run of 2010.

The issue is that only the latter (ironically) is doing what you describe.

It's not a structural problem. It's players of a certain profile not playing the way they can. We will know that Cole is back when he starts bulling his way toward the net by beating guys on the outside. Ditto Patches.

We're all about out of patience with Cole, DD and Patches. This may be a bit unfair given Cole's history of slow starts and Patches' unexpectedly early return from his appenidicitis. For that matter, their poor play may be part of what explains Desharnais's doldrums - a vicious cycle.

I might try putting Galchenyuk between them. See if that sparks something...although it does leave the question of what to do with Desharnais. But considering Patches' injury and Cole's profile as a slow starter, it might be worth leaving them together to grind their way out of their slump - as frustrating as that is.

Why is Orr buhleague or a minor leager? He had one more asssit then any hab player? He does his job just fine. I wish the habs had a few heavy weights like that 4th line.Again, Pleks slashed his hand, Orr didn't even really touch him. If your going to mess with the bull your going to get the horns.

You can't fault him for throwing down Gionta or dropping Bourqur. Gionta went after him, Bourque was the thirf man in.

I would be a little more concerned with the Habs team that showed up and i use the term loosely. They looked like a bad AHL team.

The class move of the night was when McLaren backed away from Gorges. just for the record we are the smallest or next to the smallest team in the league. We got smaller not bigger this year. I have been bellyaching about the size of this team for years. This will go nowhere on this board except for some myth about team grit and heart.
  • Upvote 1

We have three such forwards in our top six: Cole, Pacioretty, and Bourque. That's three more than we had in the Semi-Finals run of 2010.

The issue is that only the latter (ironically) is doing what you describe.

It's not a structural problem. It's players of a certain profile not playing the way they can. We will know that Cole is back when he starts bulling his way toward the net by beating guys on the outside. Ditto Patches.

We're all about out of patience with Cole, DD and Patches. This may be a bit unfair given Cole's history of slow starts and Patches' unexpectedly early return from his appenidicitis. For that matter, their poor play may be part of what explains Desharnais's doldrums - a vicious cycle.

I might try putting Galchenyuk between them. See if that sparks something...although it does leave the question of what to do with Desharnais. But considering Patches' injury and Cole's profile as a slow starter, it might be worth leaving them together to grind their way out of their slump - as frustrating as that is.

Are we bigger then we were... Yes. Are we big enough... No.

Three is not enough, especially when they don't seem interested in using that size. I want a full line of guys that size, but if we do that, the 2nd line will average 5'7".

Imo, max and cole made DD look good last year. I think Gomez would have had a decent year between those two the way they were playing. We need to focus on getting Max and Cole playing well and let DD fend for himself. I see little value in DD long term.