Feb. 9, Leafs vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

It is minor, because it only affects three guys who are greatly skewing the average.

If you remove Desharnais, Gionta, and Gallagher from the calculation, you have an Average sized team. So for 20/23 guys on the issue, the strength/height/weight isn't an issue. They measure up with the league average.

This is why I say its a mere three guys who have the uphill battle.

BlueKross today

The sample group was all the team. You just can't take out the numbers that serve your point. If you are compelled to do that comparison, you need to take out the three smallest guys on all the teams and then compare. Then you would have a relative comparison of team excluding the three smallest players. We are small, bottom line.

No one else has 3 players as small as us.

If you remove them from every team we are average.

These guys are statistical outliers... not just on the team, but around the league.

I think the only team with 2 such players would be Tampa.

3 outliers on a 23 man roster is a freaking huge example of outliers creating a misleading average.

These guys are statistical outliers... not just on the team, but around the league.

3 outliers on a 23 man roster is a freaking huge example of outliers creating a misleading average.

I only suggested taking the three out because that what you were doing. I have no idea why you would do that except to as you have indicated to mislead the average. The numbers say we on average say we are small. That is based on everybody, an average size based on everyone. The whole team is small compared to other teams.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see the outrage over the bite. Pacioretty had his arm smothering Grabovski's face. In a sport where grabbing someone from behind and burying your forearm in their face as hard as you can is acceptable, I fail to see the outrage when the guy bites you. I'm not a fan of it, and I'm not saying it's OK that he did it, but I do wonder how I would react to being smothered. The worst part of all this is that it all could have been avoided, if Peel would have evened up the scrum calls and such instead of punishung Habs only. This is really how this got out of hand. Peel needs to make better calls early in th egame.

• Upvote 2

We agree... No one else has three small guys they depend on to score. Yes, the rest of our team is average, but those,guys are on the ice all the time. We also lack counter balancing size.

I am not really sure what you are arguing... You are fine with our size?

When the Detroit Red Wings won the Stanley Cup in 2008, they had eight players under 6". The Montreal Canadiens are currently running with seven.

This is a completely meaningless and manipulative statistic but that's the whole point of this height debate.

ok we got ourselves an old fashioned asskicking, and patches got bit, (i just dont think he bit himself). well in the tradition of hockey, here's how this is handled, next game patches kicks the ever loving shyte out of the pussy known as grabo. They take their penalties and all is good. no need for any further reaction case closed. Patches should have a free shot at grabo, keep the goons out.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see the outrage over the bite. Pacioretty had his arm smothering Grabovski's face. In a sport where grabbing someone from behind and burying your forearm in their face as hard as you can is acceptable, I fail to see the outrage when the guy bites you. I'm not a fan of it, and I'm not saying it's OK that he did it, but I do wonder how I would react to being smothered. The worst part of all this is that it all could have been avoided, if Peel would have evened up the scrum calls and such instead of punishung Habs only. This is really how this got out of hand. Peel needs to make better calls early in th egame.
If you fail to see it, there's not much point in trying to explain it. Men don't bite men. It seems even Brad Marchand said it was pathetic, the Bruins pest.

When the Detroit Red Wings won the Stanley Cup in 2008, they had eight players under 6". The Montreal Canadiens are currently running with seven.

This is a completely meaningless and manipulative statistic but that's the whole point of this height debate.

No one says size is the only thing, but Detroit was far more ladened with skill and they were not as small as us.

Seriously, do you guys watch the games? We are a small, soft team. We have three of the smallest guys in the league playing big minutes. We fare poorly against bigger teams, or teams with big D who easily keep us to the outside. We need to improve and one way we need to improve is to get some bigger forwards on the team who can use their size to drive the net and wear down opposing teams.

Right now we have small guys who hit (not very effective) and taller guys playing soft...not a recipe to strike fear into most teams.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I agree that Desharnais is probably not going to work at center for Montreal and that guys like Bourque need to go. I also agree that (eventually) we should trade Brian Gionta. I think we don't have a defenceman to clear the crease and this team will be better once Galchenyuk is ready to be a top line NHLer.

However... the biggest issue this team has had is not being pushed around or not being aggressive enough. Montreal, prior to the past three losses was one of the best scoring teams in the NHL. No, Montreal's problem is discipline. Montreal is averaging 22.5 PIM a game. Almost four minutes a game more than the next team in Colorado. If we bring in bigger players, are they going to be disciplined? Or are we just going to have a 6'3" centerman instead of a 5'7" centerman in the penalty box? Does it matter if we won a heavyweight fight if we got an instigator penalty in the process and have now been lit up on the penalty kill?

I keep hearing people complain about Price's play or Budaj not being a good enough back up and all this stuff that's almost entirely the fault of the team wasting so much time on the penalty kill. I'm sorry but when Ryan White has given up four straight minutes in penalties on two different occasions and the team allowed three PP goals in the process, that tells me the problem isn't the goaltenders. It's the players and their lack of responsibility. And yes, I know, some calls have been bad but every team gets a weak call or two. Heck, we beat the Senators in regulation due to a bad call.

This is in Therrien and the team's court. They need to learn responsibility. They need to let things slide. To hell with being tough if it means putting perpetual pressure on the goaltender. Until Montreal can sport a 92.9% penalty kill, they cannot be racking up the most minutes on the PK in the league. We can have the size debate when the discipline issue is over.

• Upvote 2

1.5 inches vs the top size team in the league.... that difference drops as you go.

Also if you take out the three guys, the team is average sized, so its not the whole lineup that is fighting the uphill battle, its 3 guys.

It is not always the size that matters the problem is most of our big guys are not playing big at all. Patches cole and moen are playing on the outside and not driving the net and going into the dirty area's like gio,gally,hell DD is mucking it up better then those three.

Machine makes an important point, and Bostonhabs is spot-on. Maybe this team is indeed 'small and soft.' But I maintain that if Cole and Patches play the way they can, that impression get significantly altered.

As for Grabs, the NHL continues to err on the side of endangering players. What else is new.

• Upvote 1

It is not always the size that matters the problem is most of our big guys are not playing big at all. Patches cole and moen are playing on the outside and not driving the net and going into the dirty area's like gio,gally,hell DD is mucking it up better then those three.

BINGO! the pure stats don't tell the whole story.

I still think the biggest problem is faceoff's. Habs spend too much time losing draws, chasing the play, losing the puck battles which lead to goals. They need to address this concern and fast.

When you look at our centremen, Plekanec is probably our best faceoff guy followed by Eller. Galchenyuk is still learning so that leaves Desharnais. His lack of size, defensive awareness, and faceoff ability makes you wonder how he can be considered our #1 center.

That is absolute BS. The rules are to protect the players, not to punish players after they cause an injury. It is like saying drunk driving is ok until you hit someone. I am losing my patience with this joke of a league.

But that is true.

If you drunk drive and don't get caught nothing happens correct?

So I was at the Bell Centre for this game. Needless to say I felt shame like I hadn't in a long time. WE left after the second period to go drinking. I had to drown my misery somehow!!

On a different note, Tim Peel (Ref #20) called so many bullshit calls against the Habs on saturday it was ridiculous. In case any of you hadn't noticed, Time Peel was also the ref who allowed the Buffalo goal with 2 seconds left last thursday!!

I mean, how incompetent can one ref be?? Maybe we could petition the NHL to get rid of this incompetent Fool!?