Injuries: Nokelainen, Price

Goals: Plekanec (6)

Assists: Diaz (9)

+/-: Chucky (7)

GAME NOTES
Puck Drop: 7:00 PM EST

TV: RDSHD, CBC, NHLN-US, CSN-PH

Patches - DD - Gally

What a nutty line. Therrien is committed to DD in a scary way. If he's so committed to having a French Canadian in the top six, Bergevin should talk to Columbus for Derek Brassard (of course Brassard sucks at faceoffs so it won't help much there!)

EDIT: Actually, Vermette would be pretty cheap. Great on faceoff, totally cold at the moment for the Coyotes. I'm sure we could swing a package to make his $3.75M a little more digestible. Even then, I just want DD to the fourth line. Who cares if he's too small for it, he doesn't deserve to be in the top six.

Patches - DD - Gally

What a nutty line. Therrien is committed to DD in a scary way. If he's so committed to having a French Canadian in the top six, Bergevin should talk to Columbus for Derek Brassard (of course Brassard sucks at faceoffs so it won't help much there!)

EDIT: Actually, Vermette would be pretty cheap. Great on faceoff, totally cold at the moment for the Coyotes. I'm sure we could swing a package to make his $3.75M a little more digestible. Even then, I just want DD to the fourth line. Who cares if he's too small for it, he doesn't deserve to be in the top six.

I actually think the line makes some sense. Pacioretty and Desharnais have always had good chemistry while Pacioretty and Gallagher both played well when they were on the same line.

Some stats to note:

- The Flyers have killed off 29 of their last 31 penalty kills (93.5% success rate)...and we all know the Habs' PP has scuffled lately.

- Philly leads the NHL in hits and has the d-man with the most hits in the league (L. Schenn). If anyone's wondering, Emelin is second in the league for hits by a blueliner.

- Neither team is particularly strong at the faceoff dot. The Habs are 28th (45.6%) while Philly is 25th (48.2%).

Fourth line has been working so why break it up? DD gets 2 talented wingers to work with, Galchenyuk may spark Cole who needs to find his groove. Plex's line is doing fine. It all makes sense to me.

Hope Price isn't out a week with the flu, or worse yet spreads it!

Budaj better be game ready. I hate the he hasn't played so he isn't game ready crap. He is paid over 1m to be an NHL backup goalie. For that kind of money I don't care how long you have been not playing. It is his job to be game ready always. Start of the season to the end, always game ready at the drop of a hat. See job description for backup goalies. http://www.mtngoaltending.com/articles/Being%20A%20Backup%20Goaltender.pdf

No excuses. Get it done.

I think Budaj has always been ready to play. The team hasn't been ready to play in front of him.

Yep. I bet today they are way more ready to clear those juicy rebounds. They know by now they are coming.

I truly hope Budaj performs they way he has shown at times to be able to. Haven't seen anything this year. I hate attacking goaltenders, but I have to call a guy out when he is paid a fortune to do a job and fails at it. Gomez and Kovalev for examples.

1.1mill is a lot of bread. Control your rebounds. It is what you are paid to do.

I wish they would stick to markov ad Diaz on the PP, then have PK anchor the second unit. Markov and Diaz had good chemistry and putting Markov and PK together leaves nothing for the 2nd unit. With PK on the 2nd unit, teams will have a harder time matching lines with their PK unts.

Let's hope our boys will be ready for this game. Even though Phily isn't in the playoff picture right now, they are always a tough team to play against.

Sucks that Carey is sick, but this is Budaj's chance to show everyone that his first two losses this season weren't entirely his fault!

Let's give Budaj a chance. He's only had two starts this year, and the boys didn't play very well in front of him for those two losses!

• Upvote 1

Let's give Budaj a chance. He's only had two starts this year, and the boys didn't play very well in front of him for those two losses!

Yes...Budaj isn't exactly the second coming of Tretiak, but his career stats are significantly better than his 4.33 GAA and .866 save per centage currently show. The guy's a legitimate if mediocre NHL goalie. No reason he can't step up and do a solid job provided the team reciprocates.

I wish they would stick to markov ad Diaz on the PP, then have PK anchor the second unit. Markov and Diaz had good chemistry and putting Markov and PK together leaves nothing for the 2nd unit. With PK on the 2nd unit, teams will have a harder time matching lines with their PK unts.

The problem is their trying to groom PK to take over for Markov. Thats why Markov and Subban are together on the PP. Also Markov has had his most success with a shooter as his counterpart. While Diaz has chemistry, it turns Markov into the primary shooter. I agree that it's working and they should keep Diaz and Markov together, then late game if their up a couple and have a PP, throw PK and Markov together. I stand behind having Markov and Diaz together, it makes Markov more dangerous when he's a shooter because he does pass.

Subban hardly passes the puck, and he has to change that if he wants to be a PP elite in this league. He needs to add the element of surprise so the defense doesn't guess right 90% of the time. On paper a lefty and a righty on the back end on the PP would be lethal especially with the shots those 2 (Subban/Markov) possess, but because Subban shoots 4/5 times the puck comes to him the defense prepares from this and takes away the shooting lane, forcing missed shots or blocked shots. If Subban can master the one-touch pass that made Markov's career, he will be one of, if not the best PP QB in the league.

Yes...Budaj isn't exactly the second coming of Tretiak, but his career stats are significantly better than his 4.33 GAA and .866 save per centage currently show. The guy's a legitimate if mediocre NHL goalie. No reason he can't step up and do a solid job provided the team reciprocates.

Scott Clemmensen has played three more games than Budaj, has the same GAA but an even worse save percentage (.837). Enroth and DiPietro have been worse as well. Easy to forget that Jonas Hiller and Mikka Kipprusoff are both doing close to as bad as Budaj right now. I mean sure it'd be nice if Hedberg or Ellis or Biron was the backup but I still think blaming the last line of defence before the first and second is unfair.

Hoping he will live up to those stats too. Spent too much time over the last couple decades hoping guys would live up too their career stats though. Also I am very impatient with slumping millionaires ever since the strike. We are 1/4 through the season, no excuses, just give 100%. Control the puck!!!

Go Habs Go!

By the way, did anyone else notice a spark on the DD-Cole-Pacorietty line last game when the 3 were reunited? I know they didn't score, but I saw a big improvement with the way the 3 of them all played together. I hope they get another chance tonight, because it would be better to see this line return to producing offensively again rather than break them up.