David Desharnais extended, 4 years, $3.5 mil cap hit

thehabbit

Dreger is reporting that Desharnais has been extended. No details yet.

According to Foghorn Dreghorn at TSN via Twitter, Canadians are expected to announce a contract extension for Desharnais today (Friday). If this is the case, what should the $$ and term be? According to CapGeek, his qualifying offer would have been $997,500. So, I expect that he was signed for a couple of years at around 1-1.5 mil. This could be highter depending on whether or not the extension goes into his UFA period.

Also, what do you think about MB's abandoning the " no negotiations during the season" policy of the previous two administrations? I think it is a good move as by delaying negotiations for no good reason could--and did, IMHO-- put the organization in an unneccesary position of weakness with its own and other UFAs and RFAs. Thoughts?

Good on him. At the beginning of this year, I was wondering if DD fit into the teams long term plans between Pleks and Galchenyuk, but, for the second year in a row, he proved his naysayers wrong. Despite his size, I don't think anyone can argue the fact that he is a legit NHL top 6 center. His hockey intelligence has got to be near or on par with Markov's. I'll wait until I see some numbers, but I'm glad he has forced the organization to commit to him.

I think he gets a lot more than 1.5 million unless its a 6+year deal. Ill say more like 3.75 for 4 years.

Yeh, I was thinking that term, from $3.5-$4.5M

I'm puzzled about where the Habs are going with their C line.

Plek, DD, Eller, Galchenyuk + a 4th line C.

Looks like they will turn Chucky into a winger if this signing happens to be real.

My wish : a 2 years deal for something around 3M$ of cap hit WITHOUT any no trade/movement clause.

I like it, for several reasons.

1) they reward a player who has succeeded at every level despite not being your prototypical prospect; which in turn shows everyone else on the team that you will be taken care of if you work hard; setting the right example.

2) I think the deal is fair, if not below market value. Best comparable: Grabovski. And Lord knows I'd take Desharnais and his exemplar character and intangibles at 3.5 over that little piece of sh!t at 5.5 with a 10 team NTC.

3) he was extended mid season, giving MB concrete parameters which will in turn better help him plan for the future.

4) no NTC OR NMC

Bergevin keeps on presently surprising me. Good looks and a brain to boot.

Despite rumours it had been done for a little, it was announced today - the day Tinordi comes into the team practice for the first time. Rather than overwhelm the kid, the media will be looking at Desh. That's a neat little bit of timing to perhaps ease the transition of a fairly highly-touted rook.

Apparently Stu Cowan and I were thinking along the same lines, since I just read a piece by him saying the same.

While it hasn't been a terribly long time, I'm thinking it's perhaps safe to say that we finally have a GM who is managing to do and say all the right things. Is this the droid we've been looking for?

Despite rumours it had been done for a little, it was announced today - the day Tinordi comes into the team practice for the first time. Rather than overwhelm the kid, the media will be looking at Desh. That's a neat little bit of timing to perhaps ease the transition of a fairly highly-touted rook.

Whereabouts were there reports it had been done for a little bit? Just curious as I hadn't read any inklings about it.

Good term, good cap hit.

I read all this speculation about what this means for Plekanec, Eller, who will be dealt, will Galchenyuk play on the wing. What this move gives us is flexability. I wouldn't be rushing to dump any of our centremen, as they're all playing well and depth down the middle isn't something we've always had. Rolling three offensive lines is what's worked for us, and we don't have any forwards who fit the bill as a bonafide first line star, but we have a lot of very good second liners.

Whereabouts were there reports it had been done for a little bit? Just curious as I hadn't read any inklings about it.

Don't remember, actually. I'd read about it yesterday for sure, and I think there was a tweet or two a couple of days back that it may have been done or was in the process of being finalized.

Even if it was just done yesterday, though, I'm pleased MB waited until today. It's the little things.

I have to say I'm a little surprised that many here like this deal. I don't think it's a horrible deal, I just think it's one year too long.

IN any case, Desharnais is a hard worker and the fact that there's no NTC, makes this deal acceptable.

I like desharnais a lot. The money and term is what he is worth. No more, no less. Let the top 6 centre and midget discussions begin.

I'm OK with his size when he's producing, as I'm sure everyone is. If he's surrounded with 2 big wingers nobody will notice his size.

I'm OK with his size when he's producing, as I'm sure everyone is. If he's surrounded with 2 big wingers nobody will notice his size.

Because no one will see him? Okay, low blow. Almost low enough to do a high flyby on Desh.

Happy for DD. I too wondered about our vision for our future at C, but then again, that is a damned nice problem to have - quality depth at that key position, where we have been so weak for so long. Let them fight it out, and then move whoever seems to have the least upside. This deal keeps DD tradeable, so all options are still on the table.