David Desharnais extended, 4 years, $3.5 mil cap hit

thehabbit

Terrific signing at reasonable dollar amount and term to lock up a good asset at. None of the bullshit Gainey policies of don't negotiate during the year, or 1 year contracts until free agency.

Compared to grabs, and Connelly in Toronto, he is a steal.

Terrific signing at reasonable dollar amount and term to lock up a good asset at. None if the bullshit Gainey, don't negotiate during the year or 1 year contracts until free agency.

Compared to grabs, and Connelly in Toronto, he is a steal.

How about Krejci and Fat Looch for 6 mil?

I'm not all that impressed. I know he's Patches fav centre, but it seems like a lot of money and term for an undersized, average skating pivot who is not great at faceoffs or defensive play. If he turns into the next Martin St Louis, I will gladly eat my shorts.

I'm puzzled about where the Habs are going with their C line.

Plek, DD, Eller, Galchenyuk + a 4th line C.

Looks like they will turn Chucky into a winger if this signing happens to be real.

If Galchenyuk takes the centre spot by playing better than Desharnais, then Desharnais will be traded.

If he doesn't, then we have a 2nd line centre for 4 years at a good contract.

If Galchenyuk takes the centre spot by playing better than Desharnais, then Desharnais will be traded.

If he doesn't, then we have a 2nd line centre for 4 years at a good contract.

I still think that at some point, DD should be put on the wing. The guy isn't big, but has excellent hockey sense and works hard. He doesn't have the speed of other small players like Fleury or St Louis, but he sees the ice well, is a great playmaker and plays bigger then Moen.

Could happen as soon as game 1 of next season IMHO.

• 1 month later...

Signs the contract and quits playing, wtf happened, he looked so good last year. This guy has fought so hard to make it to the nhl I can't believe it when I see him play now. He is friggin useless.

• Upvote 1

I always worried he was a one year wonder, living off Cole and Pacs. I still don't get the signing as we need a bigger center, so why lock up DD when he doesn't fit. Gally is much better, but I am not sure how long a career he will have either. The abuse he gets will age that kid prematurely.

The only good thing about DD is if he plays a bit better next year he will be tradeable.

• 2 months later...

Now, I'm not saying I think DD should be on the team going forward. However, there was a contract signing this summer that's being defended which we should take a bit of a look at.

Tyler Bozak is 27 years old, only 6" 195lbs and has played 238 games. He has 53 goals and 81 assists for 134 points. Bozak was undrafted and made $1.5M last season. He was given a five year, $21M deal this season worth $4.2M per season. The re-signing of Bozak and signings of David Clarkson led to the buyout of Mikhail Grabovski. Bozak was given the contract primarily because Toronto felt they couldn't find any other centers for the same money and because Bozak is good friends with the best winger on the team, Phil Kessel. Bozak played all year on Kessel's line, scoring 12 goals and 16 assists for 28 points. He had a 52.6% faceoff percentage in the season, that dropping to 42.6% in the playoffs against Boston. He had only two points in seven games against Boston in the playoffs. The Toronto Maple Leafs are treating him as their top center despite having Nazem Kadri lead centers in scoring.

David Desharnais is 26 years old and stands at only 5'7" 177lbs and has played 178 games. He has 34 goals and 77 assists for 111 points. Desharnais was undrafted and made $850,000 last season. He was given a four year, 14M deal worth $3.5M per season. Desharnais was struggling at the time of signing the contract and continued to struggle in the post-season. Desharnais is good friends with the best winger on the team, Max Pacioretty. Desharnais played all year on Pacioretty's line, scoring 10 goals and 18 assists for 28 points. He had a 50% faceoff percentage in the regular season, that dropping to 48.6% in the playoffs against Ottawa. He had only two points in five games against Ottawa in the playoffs. The Montreal Canadiens tried taking Desharnais off of Pacioretty's line in the playoffs and while they put him with the best winger, they treat Tomas Plekanec as the top center.

Kind of funny when you think about it.

I have no problem with smaller players as long as they play bigger than they are. (See Brendan Gallagher)

He needs to get some bite in his game to balance out that size issue because larger d-man eat him up in the corners and along the boards. Say what you want about Briere, but for his smaller stature, he will stick his opponent if they try and take liberties.(Doug Gilmour esque). I really am not a big fan of stick work in hockey, but the odd jab will send a message.

I also think people keep forgetting that DD has good numbers and would have been arbitration eligible.

We probably could have signed him to a shorter deal at his current cap number if we had waited till the offseason. As it is, the term looks like a liability.

We probably could have signed him to a shorter deal at his current cap number if we had waited till the offseason. As it is, the term looks like a liability.

So he becomes a UFA and we spend more or let him walk with nothing in return?

I don't think that's a better option.

For the numbers offensively, 3.5 isnt a bad number, and I think he's still tradeable if we want to.

Yep DD can be traded and I do believe he will.

That said I hope he starts the season off like a gang buster and scores like 10+ points in October.

He can showcase himself on the first west coast road trip.

Desharnais's value will be through the roof if he puts up another 60 point season. OK, maybe not that high, but we could get a high quality piece for him. But then we wouldn't want to trade him, especially with the language issue.

Desharnais's value will be through the roof if he puts up another 60 point season. OK, maybe not that high, but we could get a high quality piece for him. But then we wouldn't want to trade him, especially with the language issue.

His value would not be significant. If he puts up 60 points he's still a physical, defensive and face off liability. He's the prototypical 2nd line center on an 8th to 10th seeded team. He will not command a high quality piece in the trade market. Sorry to burst the bubble. You get high quality prospects from top seeded teams looking to bolster their clubs at deadlines...what top seeded club would think Desharnais represents that? If you want a top player from a club selling off at the deadline then you have salary cap concerns and the fact said player is likely better then DD (or of the same mediocrity and possibly with a higher cap hit). If you deal a guy like DD it will be for an equally uninspiring player...but one that likely fills a more pressing void at that time unless you want a player with a bad contract (not advisable...ahem...see: Gomez, Scott) or you package DD with other pieces.

Guest Stogey24

His value would not be significant. If he puts up 60 points he's still a physical, defensive and face off liability. He's the prototypical 2nd line center on an 8th to 10th seeded team. He will not command a high quality piece in the trade market. Sorry to burst the bubble. You get high quality prospects from top seeded teams looking to bolster their clubs at deadlines...what top seeded club would think Desharnais represents that? If you want a top player from a club selling off at the deadline then you have salary cap concerns and the fact said player is likely better then DD (or of the same mediocrity and possibly with a higher cap hit). If you deal a guy like DD it will be for an equally uninspiring player...but one that likely fills a more pressing void at that time unless you want a player with a bad contract (not advisable...ahem...see: Gomez, Scott) or you package DD with other pieces.

That's the thing if Desharnais wqs to get traded. It would be a package deal.

A 60 point player signed at 3.5 million definitely has value on the trade market, plenty of teams lack scoring depth. Plus he's in his prime and could reasonably be expected to improve on his deficiencies.

I still think that he'll bounce back to justify his contract, though I agree that he might not have a place on a contender.