2013 NHL Trade Deadline

JoeLassister

That looks like a trade we could of/should of made. Would free up DD/Plek/Eller to be shipped out for a bigger piece.

Only in fantasy land. The reality is that we have C up the wazoo and that MB is unlikely to change the core of the team under circumstances where the core is wildly surpassing expectations. A trade of the type you're describing is best left to the offseason, or a season in which the team clearly needs serious adjustments heading into the playoffs. Personally, I will be shocked if we pick up more than a supplemental piece or two.

Contrast that situation with Vancouver, who desperately want to win now. They urgently need a quality C given that Kessler is perpetually injured and that they traded away their go-to alternative in Hodgson. Now that's a situation where you cough up a quality prospect and a 2nd for immediate help.

Only in fantasy land. The reality is that we have C up the wazoo and that MB is unlikely to change the core of the team under circumstances where the core is wildly surpassing expectations. A trade of the type you're describing is best left to the offseason, or a season in which the team clearly needs serious adjustments heading into the playoffs. Personally, I will be shocked if we pick up more than a supplemental piece or two.

Contrast that situation with Vancouver, who desperately want to win now. They urgently need a quality C given that Kessler is perpetually injured and that they traded away their go-to alternative in Hodgson. Now that's a situation where you cough up a quality prospect and a 2nd for immediate help.

Here's a hypothetical situation.

We traded to get Roy, used a 2nd and say Bournival. We now have a huge surplus of centers and rumor has it Phoenix is interested in shipping away Yandle but would require a 1st/2nd line center.

We turn around ship Eller + Leblanc (maybe a 3rd) to Phoenix for Yandle. Eller's play this season would give Phoenix reason to consider him a 2nd line center. There you go, Roy centering Chucky and Bourque or Ryder and we have filled a need for a responsible offensive defenseman. We lose out on Eller, add a bit of consistency to an inconsistent line and pick up a top-4 defenseman.

As I said before, not doing anything at the deadline is just as irresponsible as throwing away our future for the cup now. We are playing like contenders this year, why not make an attempt to put ourselves in a position to win. I see too many people here with the attitude of "Casey at the bat" syndrome. There will be a next one. When? Next year? 5 more years? 10 more years? Tangibles vs intangibles. The intangible is we're in position now, nobody knows what the next 10 years will bring, so we pass on it now for the uncertainty of the future. Good, irresponsible plan. Nobody knows if we will make the playoffs again for 10 years. We are this year though.

Down to Van and NYR for Clowe. Looking like NYR. Clowe wants to play in the East. definitely gotta be Rangers.

Deal in place, Ranger's 2nd + 3rd + conditional 2nd(2014) on Clowe re-signing. Clowe just needs to waive his NTC. And it's done. Clowe to Rangers

If Sather pulls this off he'll be job hunting in the offseason. How do you make a push for the playoffs? Add another under-performing player!

Here's a hypothetical situation.

We traded to get Roy, used a 2nd and say Bournival. We now have a huge surplus of centers and rumor has it Phoenix is interested in shipping away Yandle but would require a 1st/2nd line center.

We turn around ship Eller + Leblanc (maybe a 3rd) to Phoenix for Yandle. Eller's play this season would give Phoenix reason to consider him a 2nd line center. There you go, Roy centering Chucky and Bourque or Ryder and we have filled a need for a responsible offensive defenseman. We lose out on Eller, add a bit of consistency to an inconsistent line and pick up a top-4 defenseman.

As I said before, not doing anything at the deadline is just as irresponsible as throwing away our future for the cup now. We are playing like contenders this year, why not make an attempt to put ourselves in a position to win. I see too many people here with the attitude of "Casey at the bat" syndrome. There will be a next one. When? Next year? 5 more years? 10 more years? Tangibles vs intangibles. The intangible is we're in position now, nobody knows what the next 10 years will bring, so we pass on it now for the uncertainty of the future. Good, irresponsible plan. Nobody knows if we will make the playoffs again for 10 years. We are this year though.

Reggie, is that you? C'mon you had your chance already leave MB alone. ;) Seriously,as cucumber says, why would we disrupt the lineup like that??!! Even the teams that go " all-in" (stupid phrase) do so--and have done so-- WITHOUT touching their line-up! That is the point :rolleyes: I really like MB's defensive addition and I would love for us to add a grit forward like Torres, but only if the price tag fits.

It's SJS 2nd + FLA 3rd + conditional 3rd if he re-signs or rangers win 2 rounds, if not it's a 5th.

Brennan Klak @nhlupdate 13m

Per Pierre LeBrun, Clowe moved to NYR from SJS for NYR 2nd, FLA 3rd and a conditional 2nd on re-signing or winning 2 rounds. If not, then 5th

Interesting comment from Wilson (SJ's GM) : Want to add a veteran D. "You always need 8 or 9 dmen to be able to compete going deep in the playoffs"

well, Wilson just added Scott Hannan, less than 30 minutes after saying that line on air on TSN

Interesting comment from Wilson (SJ's GM) : Want to add a veteran D. "You always need 8 or 9 dmen to be able to compete going deep in the playoffs"

That's a common sentiment around the deadline. The Habs, presuming Diaz does come back and plays well, should be alright in that regard.

A friend of mine on Facebook : "The Scott Hannan-to-San Jose deal is kind of a shoker because most of us thought he was still in San Jose."

:clap: :lol: :clap:

A friend of mine on Facebook : "The Scott Hannan-to-San Jose deal is kind of a shoker because most of us thought he was still in San Jose."

:clap: :lol: :clap:

Haha..

2 options:

- unreal how fast the past 5 years went by

- that guy has really faded away !