Habs trade predictions

dlbalr

It's time to put your prognosticating skills to the test and predict what will be done before tomorrow's 3 PM EST deadline. Some questions to ponder:

How many deals will the Canadiens make?

When will they be made?

Who will be traded?

Who will be acquired? (Or who will the Habs trade with?)

I'll get the ball rolling. I'll say two trades, one of which gets done today. (With the Habs playing Wednesday/Thursday, I think Bergevin will ideally try to get something done today - I also wouldn't be surprised to see a callup at some point today just in case.) I'm still flip-flopping on who I think may get dealt; I predict there will be one deal that involves a player or prospect leaving Montreal.

Nothing. Prices are too high and there's no reason for Bergeron to panic since the team is really in the first year of a 'restructuring' phase. Give the players all the playoff experience possible then look at a full-scale assault next season.

I'm not convinced Bergevin is gonna make a move, and I find that to be perfectly acceptable.

IF he does make a move, it'll be tomorrow and it'll be for a 6th or 7th d-man. A stay at home d-man with some physical play. I don't think he'll pay more than a 3rd round pick for this player...and lastly, most probably, the trade will be made with a western conference team.

I believe Bergevin values depth and veteran skill so we'll probably see an addition in that sort of frame. With Armstrong down there's a definite need for a bottom six forward to come in. I also see the need for a third pairing defenceman with either grit or PP2 ability. That said I've really liked Beaulieu in his role.

Depth d (3rd pairing), depth forward (with Armstrong hurt) are the only potential additions I see. And if neither are added, I think that's ok, too. From a sell standpoint, the Habs only UFA with value is Ryder, and I don't see him going anywhere.

I agree with most here. A depth move on defense or forward will likely be the only thing done, if anything at all. Picking up a Jagr or somebody sounds great, but where does he fit in?

Not to be over-optimistic, but with Clowe reportedly picking Montreal as one of his possible destinations and his other destinations slowly getting trades done, it seems more likely he will end up here.

Marc Bergevin won't travel to Philadelphia. He'll be working from Brossard with his group.#transactions2013

https://twitter.com/RenLavoieRDS/status/319138849005654016

Nice Renaud, nice. Does Bergevin always/often/sometimes/rarely travel with the team? I think it's rarely. And it only makes sense to be near his computer/phone/papers/team for such a day. Not that they are going to be active, but they need to be ready if anything comes up.

Nice Renaud, nice. Does Bergevin always/often/sometimes/rarely travel with the team? I think it's rarely. And it only makes sense to be near his computer/phone/papers/team for such a day. Not that they are going to be active, but they need to be ready if anything comes up.

Some GM's seem to always travel with teams, others not so much. This, however, comes in comparison to a couple of years ago when Gauthier was supposed to travel ahead of the team and run the trade deadline calls from a hotel room.

I'm not entirely on the up and up with the series, but is it possible that he's only staying in Brossard for ease of shooting 24CH?

1. I think we make two deals.

2. One tonight, one tomorrow

3. I think we get Clowe and a depth defenseman.

4. Clowe for Michael Bournival and Habs 2nd

5. Seventh rounder for a depth defenseman at the buzzer.

I hope your wrong on the price for Clowe if the Habs do get him.

Ill say 3 deals.

One minor league

And 1 forward and 1 defence man brought in.

The only way they should trade for Clowe is he signs a new contract extension. Which is what was rumored to be happening yesterday. I heard that on the Sharks broadcast. A second and a prospect for a signed Clowe is fine. I think it would need to be a Kristo or Leblanc not Bournival.

I agree with everyone else about a bottom pairing Dman, I liked Beaulieu play so far, a little soft on the puck and has been losing some battles. He can skate, good passer and great vision. he was better than i expected.

No reason to overpay this year. the have beaten everyone this year except the Pens. Lets see what they can do in the playoffs. It would give MT and MB a look at who can step up and who doesn't show up during the playoffs.

I would be fine with standing pat but:

Forwards

1. Raffi Torres (bottom six grit)

2. Ryane Clowe (could fit on any line, nasty)

3. Ryan Jones (solid bottom sixer rental)

4. Maxim Lapierre (long shot since Vancouver is a playoff team but hey why not?)

5. Eric Nystrom (good bottom sixer)

Defencemen

1. Dan Boyle (would cost a lot and be worth it)

2. Stephane Robidas (probably a package)

3. Mark Streit (for the PP2)

4. Tyson Strachan (sixth D, hits, cheap)

5. Derek Morris (strong, capable, signed next season)

I would be fine with standing pat but:

Forwards

1. Raffi Torres (bottom six grit)

2. Ryane Clowe (could fit on any line, nasty)

3. Ryan Jones (solid bottom sixer rental)

4. Maxim Lapierre (long shot since Vancouver is a playoff team but hey why not?)

5. Eric Nystrom (good bottom sixer)

Defencemen

1. Dan Boyle (would cost a lot and be worth it)

2. Stephane Robidas (probably a package)

3. Mark Streit (for the PP2)

4. Tyson Strachan (sixth D, hits, cheap)

5. Derek Morris (strong, capable, signed next season)

And we could have both in our system.

scratch Jagr from all predictions - he's off to Boston :(

If we make a move I believe it will be Clowe. I doubt Doug Wilson wants to see him in Vancouver. Also, Boston just made their move. That doesn't mean the B's will not land Clowe but on the other hand, Chiarelli has just spent his prospect/pick cash to get Jagr. How willing will he be to pay again for Clowe considering we can likely up the ante on the return? The question is, do we up that ante? Also, hopefully no other team ups the ante making it more difficult for Bergevin should this be the direction we choose to go in.

Since the fire sale is on, why not Cammalleri?

Money. If Cole at $4.5 M was dealt in large part to free up salary for next year, adding Cammalleri at $6 M would reverse the financial benefits and then some. I think there's a chance he gets moved but I don't think the Habs are the destination.

Money. If Cole at $4.5 M was dealt in large part to free up salary for next year, adding Cammalleri at $6 M would reverse the financial benefits and then some. I think there's a chance he gets moved but I don't think the Habs are the destination.

I'd send Kaberle and Weber and give their 2nd rounder back. Kaberle will be cheaper for CGY to buy out.

Cammy would be a nice offensive weapon addition, and we all remember what he has done for us in the playoffs.

We'll buy out Cammy in the Summer. Of course it will cost more than Kaberle, but it's a good investment for Molson, especially if Cammalleri helps the Habs win a couple rounds or more.

I'd send Kaberle and Weber and give their 2nd rounder back. Kaberle will be cheaper for CGY to buy out.

Cammy would be a nice offensive weapon addition, and we all remember what he has done for us in the playoffs.

We'll buy out Cammy in the Summer. Of course it will cost more than Kaberle, but it's a good investment for Molson, especially if Cammalleri helps the Habs win a couple rounds or more.

But what if Cammalleri gets hurt? They've all but wrapped Kaberle in bubble wrap (figuratively speaking of course) as a precaution so that he can't get injured. They won't move him for someone that they'll play unless it's someone they're planning to use longer-term. Otherwise, they risk losing the buyout. Plus, I wouldn't move the CGY 2nd for him at this stage. If that pick is getting moved, it's not for someone who will be bought out in three months.

Calgary won't need to buy him out either. If he does stay with them, they'll be well enough under the cap to keep him around and let him play out the final year of his deal.