Deadline Day: Habs acquire... nobody!

sakiqc

I have a friend who is a Leafs' fan. While we're definitely not above friendly barbs about our teams, I remember ribbing him triumphantly one year after the Leafs failed to make the playoffs...and then noticed that he refrained from reciprocating when the Habs proceeded to get eliminated. I asked as to his rationale, and he said (in effect) that it was ungentlemanly to rub someone's face in the painful defeat of their team. To his mind, once it's all over, you don't cackle triumphantly about someone else's defeat, no matter how much you loathe their team (and boy, did he hate the Habs!).

I thought that was cool. And I've tried to emulate that ever since.

I hear what you're saying Lovett's Magnatones but the Sharks receive the Rangers’ second-round pick and a third-round pick in the 2013 draft, and a conditional second-round pick in the 2014 draft for Clowe. Those picks are not nickles IMO. That's a big draft expenditure. Kristo was a 2nd rounder at 56th in 2008. Subban was a 2nd rounder, 43rd overall in 2007 - just to name 2 players.

...and Clowe get traded for nickels....

I live in Windsor so you got a major chunk of Red Wings fans, major chunk of Leafs fans and then a noticeable enough portion of Canadiens fans and then fans of other teams. I think the young Canucks fans might be as numerous as Habs fans because of Ed Jovanovski playing for the Canucks back when a lot of the fans were in grade school.

Honestly the Wings fans are the worst of the bunch. The male Wings fans are hyper emotional and sensitive to everything. If they lose three games they throw temper tantrums and say they are going to cheer for someone else. The female Wings fans tend to be more loyal. That probably might surprise some people. Leaf fans are your typical, run of the mill Leaf fans. They expect the Leafs to sign everyone in free agency and then get angry when the Leafs bury their young. Of course, they have no problem burying their young either. I love people re-evaluating the Schenn/vanRiemsdyk trade. vanRiemsdyk has cooled off considerably after a hot start. Schenn has been consistently getting better thanks to Chris Pronger coaching him before games. I don't know how many times I used to tell Leaf fans to be patient with Kadri and that he was going to become a superstar. Well, he is, and it isn't thanks to the Leafs system that's for sure.

I live in Windsor so you got a major chunk of Red Wings fans, major chunk of Leafs fans and then a noticeable enough portion of Canadiens fans and then fans of other teams. I think the young Canucks fans might be as numerous as Habs fans because of Ed Jovanovski playing for the Canucks back when a lot of the fans were in grade school.

Honestly the Wings fans are the worst of the bunch. The male Wings fans are hyper emotional and sensitive to everything. If they lose three games they throw temper tantrums and say they are going to cheer for someone else. The female Wings fans tend to be more loyal. That probably might surprise some people. Leaf fans are your typical, run of the mill Leaf fans. They expect the Leafs to sign everyone in free agency and then get angry when the Leafs bury their young. Of course, they have no problem burying their young either. I love people re-evaluating the Schenn/vanRiemsdyk trade. vanRiemsdyk has cooled off considerably after a hot start. Schenn has been consistently getting better thanks to Chris Pronger coaching him before games. I don't know how many times I used to tell Leaf fans to be patient with Kadri and that he was going to become a superstar. Well, he is, and it isn't thanks to the Leafs system that's for sure.

How did you happen to cheer for the Habs?

I found out about hockey from this kid.I met and asked my dad about it. The kid was a Leafs fan. My dad told me we live in a Montreal Canadiens household.

That was it.

hahaha, good dad.

I hope you don't rebel when you leave home. Parents are right on a lot of things you know. Make him proud!

• 2 weeks later...

I hear what you're saying Lovett's Magnatones but the Sharks receive the Rangers’ second-round pick and a third-round pick in the 2013 draft, and a conditional second-round pick in the 2014 draft for Clowe. Those picks are not nickles IMO. That's a big draft expenditure. Kristo was a 2nd rounder at 56th in 2008. Subban was a 2nd rounder, 43rd overall in 2007 - just to name 2 players.

The third round pick is Florida's in 2013, so basically a late 2nd.

They also got a 4th rounder in 2014, that moves to a 2nd rounder if the Rags win 2 rounds or Re-Sign Clowe.

The cost was basically 1 mid-2nd... 1 late 2nd.... 1 4th.

of 3 second rounders (if they advance or sign).

thats freaking expensive..... thats not nickels.