Danny Kristo signs ELC

dlbalr

With no other news today, it's thread-worthy. Of note, it's a 2 year deal commencing this season. Financial terms were not disclosed, I'd expect to see a considerable amount of bonuses in there.

That's some great news. Any indication that he'll be joining the Dogs any time soon?

He already has been assigned there.

Nice.. Will we see him with the Habs this playoffs!? We'll see!

Kinda like Chris Kreider with the Rangers last year. He scored some big goals in their playoff run, after playing at Boston College a couple weeks before.

great news... didnt want to lose this prospect. suprised this loophole didnt get fixed in the new cba

This had nothing to do with the 'Schultz loophole,' Kristo as a senior had finished his NCAA career and legitimately would have been a UFA in August as several drafted college guys become each year.

• Upvote 1

the fact that we drafted him and he was on the verge of being a UFA after school is a loophole enough. we should be able to retain his rights for the same amount of time as chl players post schooling...

CHL players get 2 years, NCAA players get 4 (sometimes 5 as it was in this case). That's not a loophole; you can't hold a players' rights indefinitely (unless you're Russian at the moment since there's no transfer agreement with their hockey federation).

• Upvote 1

exactly... chl 2 years and ncaa should be 2 years post school.. if you draft a freshman and they decide to continue school you have a very short window to get the contract done. your holding rights should start when they decide to finish school

exactly... chl 2 years and ncaa should be 2 years post school.. if you draft a freshman and they decide to continue school you have a very short window to get the contract done. your holding rights should start when they decide to finish school

So you want teams to be able to control college-bound players until they're 24 or 25? Teams would hold way too much leverage over the players then - 'sign with us or you'll have to sit two years.' You're absolutely correct that the current system doesn't allow for a ton of negotiation if a player goes four years but I can't see the NHLPA ever signing off on extending it quite that far. The NCAA may also have some issue with that as that may deter some players from going there as they could be tied into a team they don't want to be with for such a long time. Anything that could push more players to the CHL will anger them as well.

Early reports have the contract as follows:

2012-13: Max salary including max bonus ($875,000/87,500), no performance bonuses.

2013-14: Max salary including max bonus ($875,000/87,500), $850,000 in performance bonuses.

That means the cap hit would be $1.3 million. A backloaded ELC, I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Early reports have the contract as follows:

2012-13: Max salary including max bonus ($875,000/87,500), no performance bonuses.

2013-14: Max salary including max bonus ($875,000/87,500), $850,000 in performance bonuses.

That means the cap hit would be $1.3 million. A backloaded ELC, I don't think I've ever seen that before.

what does it mean? what are the implications?

what does it mean? what are the implications?

Kristo isn't going to play much, if at all with the Habs this year. Instead of tossing the bonuses, which largely would be un-achievable at this point of the year, in and artificially increasing the cap hit, they put all the bonuses in year two when he's more likely to hit them. As it turns out, one other college player got a deal like that recently (a UFA that signed with Washington). In terms of implications, it just keeps the cap hit more manageable; even if he were to hit all the bonuses next year, the cap hit would just be $1.3 M. It's out of the box thinking but I like it.

Kristo isn't going to play much, if at all with the Habs this year. Instead of tossing the bonuses, which largely would be un-achievable at this point of the year, in and artificially increasing the cap hit, they put all the bonuses in year two when he's more likely to hit them. As it turns out, one other college player got a deal like that recently (a UFA that signed with Washington). In terms of implications, it just keeps the cap hit more manageable; even if he were to hit all the bonuses next year, the cap hit would just be $1.3 M. It's out of the box thinking but I like it.

interesting. that seems like a creative deal that is good for both parties

If you think about it, Subban's deal was similar where he'd make more money in his second season when it counted more for a new contract.

Yep, that's somewhat common (especially for the Habs, that goes back to the bridge deals for Higgins, Plekanec, Komisarek, etc) but they're rare for entry-level deals.