Re-signing Ryder

Colin

I think serious consideration has to be given to re-upping this guy who apparently can't stop scoring semi-regularly. If we can ink him to a two-year 3.5 deal (like the one he has now) I don't see there being any problems. He's a guy who can score, is obviously blending well with the team, and enjoys playing in Montreal. Buying out Kaberle would still leave us $750K to the good, which is always a bonus.

If we did that, we'd have 11 forwards signed, including all the major contributors, and would need only to look at the depth, grinding players. Of those whose contracts are coming up for renewal up front, I see no major contract increases - perhaps no increases at all if they want to stay.

The only major signing we'd need to do, then, is a backup, and I can honestly see MB trying to lock up Budaj for another year or two at a salary similar to what he's making now. After that, we'd still have a little space under the cap, which will be a huge bonus down the line next season.

I'm not sure there's another UFA out there that really interests me at all. If I'm the GM, I'm thinking very seriously about Ryder.

Sure, he will try, but Ryder is one of very few goal scoring UFAs potentially on the market this off-season. On the otherhand, the drop in the cap will limit some teams ability to spend.

Of note: Ryder's shooting % with the Habs so far is way high at 22.5% (i.e. bound to regress somewhat) = he is at a high water mark right now. Also, he's not exactly a "two-way player".

If the Habs go deep this year in the playoffs, perhaps he will do a deal for less because he can see the potential for a Cup or two in Montreal? He can no doubt see the young talent he is surrounded by just getting better and better in the years ahead. It all depends on what he values more (rings or cash) and who else will offer the big money and term for his services. I CANNOT believe that agents and players do not have ways of finding out who might offer them what (before UFA season begins on July 1, I mean) if they really want to find out, as I expect Ryder will.

My guess is he wants $5M for 4 years. And I guess MB will offer $4M for 2, which Ryder would be crazy to take. Maybe they land somewhere in the middle at $4.5M for 3? Seems like a risky contract for a 33 year old, but you gotta take risks to win!

His agent has already noted (around the time Desharnais signed his extension) that they will not be talking contract during the season. I suspect he wants to go to free agency and test the market.

I CANNOT believe that agents and players do not have ways of finding out who might offer them what (before UFA season begins on July 1, I mean) if they really want to find out, as I expect Ryder will.

That will certainly be the case now as there is a new free agent negotiation period that begins shortly after the draft as part of this CBA. This year is a little odd as the draft is June 30th but in a normal year, there will be a good 7-10 day period for everyone to find out what teams are willing to offer for certain players.

His agent has already noted (around the time Desharnais signed his extension) that they will not be talking contract during the season. I suspect he wants to go to free agency and test the market.

That will certainly be the case now as there is a new free agent negotiation period that begins shortly after the draft as part of this CBA. This year is a little odd as the draft is June 30th but in a normal year, there will be a good 7-10 day period for everyone to find out what teams are willing to offer for certain players.

Plans and minds change. I would not at all be surprised to see him re-upped before season's end.

I saw in a report just after we acquired him that he would be seeking a new contract around 5m per year as a "retirement" contract, so probably 4-5 years as well. Not sure MB will commit that to Ryder.

• Upvote 1

I saw in a report just after we acquired him that he would be seeking a new contract around 5m per year as a "retirement" contract, so probably 4-5 years as well. Not sure MB will commit that to Ryder.

If that's the case, then I'd have to walk away. Term is far too long for my taste. I'd go as far as three, but even that's a stretch.

Being that last time he left Montreal it was to Boston, I fully expect he'll sign in Toronto this summer because he actually feeds on fans' feelings of betrayal.

Funniest comment I've read in a long time! Add paper airplane throwing, and denting the Stanley Cup to the list of anti-social behavior.

Cool - this is news to me. Makes sense to change structures to reflect what people are actually doing covertly anyway.

I would pay mre the 3.5, although term will be an issue. The guy is a consistant goal scorer and his two way play is improved. He gets Pacs points and is no worse defensively. Why would he sign a low ball contract as a FA?

It would be nice to sign him, but I fear that he will be in a position to ask for (and obtain) unreasonable conditions, regarding salary and the number of years under contract. Five million per year under a five year commitment makes no sense to me.

It would be nice to sign him, but I fear that he will be in a position to ask for (and obtain) unreasonable conditions, regarding salary and the number of years under contract. Five million per year under a five year commitment makes no sense to me.

There will be someone dumb enough to pay him $5M+ over 5+ years.

I'd try to sign him for $4.5M for 3 years or $4M for 4 years. If we can move Bourque I'd be okay with $5M over 3 years. I'd much rather try to resign Ryder and move Bourque, even though Bourque is cheaper.

you heard it here first. He will be signed for 5 years at 5mill hopefully by the habs. he is worth it. The only 2 years he hasnt scored 30 goals are contract years 14 goals in mon and 18 in boston not to be insulting but he's a newfie they do it differently.

oh I know I will get flamed

MB won't resign him. It was a great move in getting him. Ryder is in for a big pay day. A team will give him 4 years at 5 mill plus. He won't give a "discount" to be a hab. He didn't the first time, he won't the sevond time. \

I believe MB wil go after a big physical top RW but it won't be Ryder

you heard it here first. He will be signed for 5 years at 5mill hopefully by the habs. he is worth it. The only 2 years he hasnt scored 30 goals are contract years 14 goals in mon and 18 in boston not to be insulting but he's a newfie they do it differently.

oh I know I will get flamed

No flames., just reasoned disagreement: I really really like Ryder esp. since he is now playing well without the puck as well as scoring. However, if Ryder is signed for 5yrs @5mil/per I really hope it is not with Montreal. I don't mind the bump up to 5mil ( although it seems a bit excessive, that the FA market) but 5yrs is too long a term with all of the young guns we have developing in the system 5mil@ 3yrs would be palatable but not as nice as 3yrs @ 4.5

I would love 4 them to re-sign Ryder.....wouldn't suprise me the way he's been going that he would be asking for 4.5 to 5 mil a year.....maybe if Montreal can go a round or two in the playoffs he'll see how much of a bright future the Habs have and decide to stay.......Another guy I wouldn't mind seeing Bergevin re-sign is Jeff Halpern, he has done alot of little things for Montreal, plus he's been big in the faceoff circle

I see Ryder as a rental. His performance so far is a bonus. I'm loving it. We should all just enjoy the ride. I think MB stays the course. The trade was made, in part, for cap relief.

No flames., just reasoned disagreement: I really really like Ryder esp. since he is now playing well without the puck as well as scoring. However, if Ryder is signed for 5yrs @5mil/per I really hope it is not with Montreal. I don't mind the bump up to 5mil ( although it seems a bit excessive, that the FA market) but 5yrs is too long a term with all of the young guns we have developing in the system 5mil@ 3yrs would be palatable but not as nice as 3yrs @ 4.5

the reason I say 5/5 is there will be very limited f/a's this year, and the market will decide value, now if MB is able to pull off 4.5 for 3, I think it is a steal. Who knows maybe Ryder has grown up since his first stint with the habs, and really wants to stay. He has done a great job so far, a lot better than I thought he would.

theres alot on the market this off season but outside of iggy, ryder might actually be the best sniper out there.

• 5 of 8 seasons 25+ goals
  • 3 of 8 seasons 30+ goals
  • 2 seasons in BOS played on there checking line and still managed 18 goals per.he was a key contributor in their Stanley Cup run
  • he's known to score big goals at key moments
  • only bad season was his final season in MTL where he knew he was done there and played as such. he even mentioned it in his ride from the airport on 24CH.

I would give him 2years @ $4 million but go as high as $5. 33-34yrs old. that's the longest and why not??

he's are leading scorer(tied) and led dallas the year before as well. he's a good hockey player.