P.K. Subban Appreciation Thread Norris Finalist

illWill

I just wanted to give credit where credit is due. The guy is on his way to possibly winning the Norris trophy as the best defense man in the game. Sure he sat out for a bit to start the season, but he accepted a bargain of a contract eventually. I have seen nothing but a team first mentality from him and he is acting like a real professional, and the results are showing. He always had the raw talent but just needed to harness it correctly. Simple things like just putting the puck on net rather than winding up from the rafters and missing wide. Or when Price told him not to punch the guy in his crease...and he didn't. I think it also speaks volumes about the new culture created in Montreal. It's an exciting time Habs fans.

If he doesn't get the Norris, there is something seriously wrong with the league.

He's also looking at $7.5m+ on his next contract.

If he doesn't get the Norris, there is something seriously wrong with the league.

He's also looking at $7.5m+ on his next contract.

If he does win the Norris, look for him to get an extra $1-1.5M per year on his next contract.

I'm incredibly impressed by how much his game has improved this year...he is striking the perfect balance between going for the riskier big play (big hit, rush) or making the defensively responsible safe play. Norris caididate for sure.

PK is becoming everything we always thought he could be. I used to say, 'the next Chelios,' but he is actually better than Chelios was right now. A juggernaut in all facets of the game. Easily one of the top defenders in all of hockey.

I don't want him to win the Norris, though. First of all, I maintain that with his huge ego, we needs not to be rewarded too soon in his career; the danger is that it will go to his head and complacency will set in. (C.f. Dion Phaneuf, never again the player he was in his first two years in CowTown, presumably because all the adulation went to his head; or Jose Theodore, never again even close to Vezina status). Second, a Norris will make PK even more expensive when the next contract comes up. I prefer a PK who is slightly under-appreciated by the rest of the league. Makes him hungrier.

PK is becoming everything we always thought he could be. I used to say, 'the next Chelios,' but he is actually better than Chelios was right now. A juggernaut in all facets of the game. Easily one of the top defenders in all of hockey.

I don't want him to win the Norris, though. First of all, I maintain that with his huge ego, we needs not to be rewarded too soon in his career; the danger is that it will go to his head and complacency will set in. (C.f. Dion Phaneuf, never again the player he was in his first two years in CowTown, presumably because all the adulation went to his head; or Jose Theodore, never again even close to Vezina status). Second, a Norris will make PK even more expensive when the next contract comes up. I prefer a PK who is slightly under-appreciated by the rest of the league. Makes him hungrier.

dion was that good in cowtown because his partner was a younger "at the time" former 1st rounder who was always under appreciated....... Roman Hammmerlik. he logged some serious minutes in MTL with markov out. i just wonder how this team would be shaped if markov was healthy last year. we probably still have spacek and cammy and...... the goat!

also, jose theo's demise came after he got off the juice!

It would be nice to see P.K. win the norris and I believe he is the front runner right now...but if he does win, he'll cost us 7 million per year instead of 6 million per year...

It would be nice to see P.K. win the norris and I believe he is the front runner right now...but if he does win, he'll cost us 7 million per year instead of 6 million per year...

I wouldn't worry too much. He'll only hit $6 probably. His buddy is more important to the team and he only makes $6. $6/8yrs, signed before Christmas next season when the first few months prove he isn't playing over his head right now. And I suspect negotiations will be easy, easy. I'm guessing a lot of them are already done based on the fact that MB personally went to PK to explain the whole situation when his contract was signed this year.

There's a lot of fear on these boards with respect to the business side of things. I feel with MB as GM we have one of the best, and he's going to prove that continually. I have little worry about anything alone these lines anymore.

He will not win the norris. There is still to much bias against him. The media types will not vote him in because a.He is black. I could be wrong, but unfortunately, there are still a lot of closet biggets out there. b.He plays with swagger. The conservative types do not like this. c.He plays for the wrong team. You don't see him on coaches corner/leaf love in sitting on that old idiots knee. I believe PK is the clear favorite for the Norris, and I hope I am wrong about these things, but I fear I am not.

• Upvote 1

I hate to have to agree. It will take a hell of a finish to the season for Subban to win IMO. The Norris of all trophies, generally is one based more on personal opinion than actual numbers. Karlsson wasn't even a lock last year despite being miles ahead in points because he was young, and a "forward playing defense". I think I remember Lidstrom winning the award with a minus +/-, but because of his reputation, he won. Mike Green got robbed the year he potted over 30 goals by Chara, who only had 50 points. Basically it comes down to each voter's idea of what "best defense man" means. I haven't really watched any games that don't involve Subban, so I can't compare. But just by the numbers and his physicality alone, he deserves to be nominated. I'm afraid Suter or Weber will end up winning unfortunately.

Subban deserves it but hankhab is on to something. Wrong skin colour and wrong attitiude - at least for the conservative NHL types. I'm sure a lot of guys look at PK and think he's more NBA than NHL.

I think you guys missed the "Humbling Process" by Michel Therrien. Everyone in the media now claims that Subban has been humbled and now shows more respect. His game hasn't changed really, maybe better offence but he's still dirty when he wants to be but now the narrative is that he is more respectful now. It's almost looking like MT's tough love with Subban was a PR stunt.

Either that or a disgusting example of how the NHL operates.

My brother in Toronto just frantically texted me. On local radio Kypreos won't stfu about how Bergevin made a mistake not signing PK to a longer deal. That he'll ask for something crazy like 8 million if Norris trophies start being handed to him. For cap reasons only, that's a bit troubling. I hope Colin is right about the 6 million range per season.

My brother in Toronto just frantically texted me. On local radio Kypreos won't stfu about how Bergevin made a mistake not signing PK to a longer deal. That he'll ask for something crazy like 8 million if Norris trophies start being handed to him. For cap reasons only, that's a bit troubling. I hope Colin is right about the 6 million range per season.

When it comes to Subban, nothing from Sportsnet can be considered as objective. He worked for them during the lockout and they spent a lot of the time when he was on the air promoting him as if Subban was a client. I expect that to continue for a long time now, especially if he remains in the discussion for the Norris.

When it comes to Subban, nothing from Sportsnet can be considered as objective. He worked for them during the lockout and they spent a lot of the time when he was on the air promoting him as if Subban was a client. I expect that to continue for a long time now, especially if he remains in the discussion for the Norris.

If he wins the Norris he will be above $7M, i think even higher then $7.5M. He can easily can get more then Karlson, since there are more UFA years in the deal. Someone will offer sheet him if the habs play the same game as this year.

dion was that good in cowtown because his partner was a younger "at the time" former 1st rounder who was always under appreciated....... Roman Hammmerlik. he logged some serious minutes in MTL with markov out. i just wonder how this team would be shaped if markov was healthy last year. we probably still have spacek and cammy and...... the goat!

also, jose theo's demise came after he got off the juice!

I'm curious. What do you mean by Theodore being on "the juice"??