White suspended 5 games

JMMR

Actually, I wouldn't count the last one. When I looked at the replay it didn't look like ill-discipline and it didn't look like an attempt to injure. It looked like an attempt at a big hit and the other player leaned forward at the wrong time. Given the crap that has gone unpunished this season, I can't believe the punishment he's recieved.

Also, as an RFA who plays with an edge, he has value. It would be (to me) a shocking departure from MB's policy of maximizing assets for White not the be re-signed, even if the plan is to trade him.

I did say to trade him.

I fully expect MB to sign White to a 1 year extension and give him a chance to redeem himself. I think being a scratch had a huge negative impact on the way that White played. Instead of playing his game, he tried too hard and it came back to bite him. If we could somehow trade Moen this summer, I think White could slide in and be a suitable replacement. I also expect to see Gionta traded at the draft in order to sign Clowe or Clarkson. I think if the Habs weren't doing so good this year, Gionta would have been traded at the deadline, but MB didn't want to disrupt the chemistry of the team.

• Upvote 1

I did say to trade him.

So you did, but I was responding to the tone of earlier posts--not just yours-- that sounded as though people would be happy to see the end of White in a Habs uniform without compensation. I have no objection to a trade, I just hate wasting assets.

Actually, I really like your trade proposal, but McTavish would have to be an idiot to take that deal :pray:

So you did, but I was responding to the tone of earlier posts--not just yours-- that sounded as though people would be happy to see the end of White in a Habs uniform without compensation. I have no objection to a trade, I just hate wasting assets.

Actually, I really like your trade proposal, but McTavish would have to be an idiot to take that deal :pray:

I think Oilers are getting desperate and would prey on that desperation.

Anyone see the okposo hit on bogasian??? Shanahan is an idiot and the NHL a joke. How does white get 5 games and okposo nothing????

Why is it that the habs always seemed to get screwed over relative to other teams???

Anyone see the okposo hit on bogasian??? Shanahan is an idiot and the NHL a joke. How does white get 5 games and okposo nothing????

Why is it that the habs always seemed to get screwed over relative to other teams???

Considering White wasn't likely to play much, if at all, over the next 5 games, I wouldn't say they were screwed over much here. I know what you're saying though.

(I haven't seen the hit you mention but I'm very appreciative of no suspension...I have Okposo in the pool and finding a replacement RW for him at this time of year would be tough.)

Looking at the hit impartially, I would say that White deserved a suspension of some sort. Shanahan's explanation makes sense in that White probably didn't intend to hit the guy in the head but White made no effort to prevent the hit from happening. White came in for the hit but mistimed it and instead of bailing out he made a last ditch swing with his shoulder which unfortunately hit the head. So it's a hit with the initial point of contact being the head. Cut and dry suspension regardless of White's intent. I'm as big a Hab's fan as anyone but only a real homer would think that was a legal play. I can imagine the uproar if the roles were reversed and there was no suspension. White deserved at least 3.

I don't disagree that white deserved a suspension or even with length of suspension. I'm a big believer in longer suspensions, to send the right message of what constitutes acceptable behavior. What I find frustrating is the total lack of consistency. How did Lucic not get suspended for his hit on miller, or chara for his hit on Maxpac, or Nash this year. Their seems to be a double standard both for players and teams.

I also don't believe the process has gotten any better with Shanahan than the process that existed under Campbell. In a way it is actually worse, since Shanahan does these video explanations and than when an identical play happens, there is no suspension.

Looking at the hit impartially, I would say that White deserved a suspension of some sort. Shanahan's explanation makes sense in that White probably didn't intend to hit the guy in the head but White made no effort to prevent the hit from happening. White came in for the hit but mistimed it and instead of bailing out he made a last ditch swing with his shoulder which unfortunately hit the head. So it's a hit with the initial point of contact being the head. Cut and dry suspension regardless of White's intent. I'm as big a Hab's fan as anyone but only a real homer would think that was a legal play. I can imagine the uproar if the roles were reversed and there was no suspension. White deserved at least 3.

• 2 weeks later...

Love this kid I really hope he gets an extension!

My feelings exactly. I've been saying all year, you don't give away a guy like him. There would be 29 teams lining up for him.

My feelings exactly. I've been saying all year, you don't give away a guy like him. There would be 29 teams lining up for him.

We are on the same page here!

It was heat of the moment, but I think that heat could cook the crow of who said this:

Regardless of whether he gets suspended or not, he shouldn't play, under any circumstance, for the rest of the season and playoffs. The day he leaves the organization will be a happy one.

You know who you are ;)

It was heat of the moment, but I think that heat could cook the crow of who said this:

You know who you are ;)

I know, I already acknowledged that in the GDT. He still needs to do more to change my opinion though, he was very close to crossing the line last night as it was. If he takes a dumb penalty tomorrow (and he got away with a couple yesterday), there will be a lot fewer people praising him. But, good on him for playing well.

I know, I already acknowledged that in the GDT. He still needs to do more to change my opinion though, he was very close to crossing the line last night as it was. If he takes a dumb penalty tomorrow (and he got away with a couple yesterday), there will be a lot fewer people praising him. But, good on him for playing well.

I don't agree with him having such a short leash. He's a great fourth liner. Does everything expected of him. Takes some bad penalties at times but hey so does Subban and Eller. The overreaction to the suspension was a bit silly to me.

• Upvote 1

he's got a tough job, he has to hit everyone, chirp em up, be defensively minded, fight, and use his speed to push the offence. He is a kid, he will make mistakes, but he is vey valuable in his role. We cannot and should not ship him out. He is a lot like chris neil and I know there are a lot of habs fans who would like to have had him on the team. Give him a couple of years and you will have a veteran who will make you proud. :habslogo:

I don't agree with him having such a short leash. He's a great fourth liner. Does everything expected of him. Takes some bad penalties at times but hey so does Subban and Eller. The overreaction to the suspension was a bit silly to me.

Hopefully the suspension sent him the message the coaches were trying to all season long.

As does Prust - which everyone seems to ignore. Players like white and Prust are going to take penalties.

Listen, White didn't just take penalties earlier in the season, he took grad-A boneheaded penalties that were simply not NHL worthy. Any defence of him should not excuse his incompetence this year.

That said, he has excellent potential to become a Raffi Torres and I totally agree that we should not follow the usual Habs' playbook of dumping a young player who causes some problems. This is the team that unloaded Darcy Tucker, for God's sake. No more of that please.

• Upvote 2

As long as he plays on the right side of that line at key times, like he did Friday, he is a great asset.

Its the tendency to do something mind numbingly dumb (which was something he did about 1/5 games he played this season) that is the issue. Yes, Prust and Subban take penalties, but not dumb stuff at the same rate as White has.

As long as he can play like Friday, he'll be a great asset. If he does things like what he did vs Ott this year, or the Ottawa game early in the regular season, or Florida, etc.... He'll have issues.

The great thing about habs fans is their passion (there's probably someone on a bruins site typing the exact same thing lol)

The downside of that is we don't always react rationally when things go wrong. When a player makes mistakes we say he should be traded for a bag of pucks, yet when he scores a game winning goal we "always new he was going to turn out great" The truth is in the middle. This is fine for us fans, the real danger is when management start acting like fans (a situation that occurred last season I believe)

I am encouraged that the current management seem to have a plan and are sticking to it. Who knows if it will be the right plan, but its far superior to no plan and reacting to fans/media hype.

PS: IMHO the reaction to Carey Price after game one was way over the top. He is an elite goaltender still to reach his peak, to trade him away now would be madness and set our development back 3-5 years. Who would you trade him for? Dont dare say Luongo either lol