April 23, Habs vs New Jersey, 7 PM

dlbalr

Really wishing we hadn't locked up DD... We need a real center that can win battles when the shit gets real.

I agree there. He was a mistake. I think it was a mistake to sign Budaj already because there might be some good goalies on the market happy to back up Price but that's a very small thing.

DD is the weakest link in our forward corps. Especially when it seems like coaches are afraid to separate him from Pacioretty.

Well that was a tough period. It's hard to hang either goal on Price - a breakaway from their leading pointgetter and a shot that hits him in the head on the way into the net. It'd be nice if the PP could get one early in the 2nd to stabilize things a bit. So too would getting more than 1 shot from inside 40 feet, most shots were way on the perimeter.

Leafs in 5, and it's going to be painful to watch. In fact, I won't. I'm thinking Carey Price is playing himself off Team Canada. Yes it's early to say

Really wishing we hadn't locked up DD... We need a real center that can win battles when the shit gets real.

I agree with you there. Not so much because DD is stone cold since he signed the extension, but more because when both Eller and Galchenyuk have been given time at center, they've both played well. Since Therien has abandoned his earlier strategy of rolling 4 lines, or at least rolling the top 3 lines, then the 2 young centers are doomed to not get enough ice time unless either Plekanec or Desharnais gets injured.

Done like dinner...two BS calls, but if you can't kill a,penalty you are not going to win a game.

This is not just a slump, we are getting blown out every game.

Now we have a PP, but I expect an easy kill by the devils.

I don't want to hear they've eased up since clinching a spot... They've been terrible!

They still had everything to play for (1st place) and have been blown out, barely escaped Tampa thanks to some posts, ... Just brutal. So frustrating as a fan to watch them piss it all away...

Who are these guys and what did they do with that Habs team I was enjoying watching?

I'm really not getting this. I remember CC talking about his expectation that the team would do well initially under Therien, and then start to fail. ... hmmmm...

What the hell has happened?

I don't want to hear they've eased up since clinching a spot... They've been terrible!

They still had everything to play for (1st place) and have been blown out, barely escaped Tampa thanks to some posts, ... Just brutal. So frustrating as a fan to watch them piss it all away...

Hallelujah brother! I'm writing them off for 1st place, and am expecting them to plummet to 6th in the conference, if all goes well for the Islanders and Leafs.

By the way, Subban, Gally, and Therrien can forget end of season awards. Those are slipping away too.

At least that will make the contract negotiations in the summer easier ...

Who are these guys and what did they do with that Habs team I was enjoying watching?

I'm really not getting this. I remember CC talking about his expectation that the team would do well initially under Therien, and then start to fail. ... hmmmm...

What the hell has happened?

Ha ha, well, this wasn't what I meant! I assumed that MT would find a very receptive dressing room this year, but that, probably at some point next season, his act would wear thin, as it did catastrophically in Pittsburgh. Even I didn't think the team would tune him out after 46 games!

And in truth, I can't believe that's what's really happened. It's probably more a matter of a drop-off in intensity snowballing into a bona-fide slump from a team that has to play with 100% commitment in order to have a chance. They may be discovering the terrible truth that you can't turn it on and off like a tap: the oldest cliché in the book, and one we could have avoided if players had been wiser, I think.

Hallelujah brother! I'm writing them off for 1st place, and am expecting them to plummet to 6th in the conference, if all goes well for the Islanders and Leafs.

I don't believe that's possible. In over 13 billion simulations from Sports Club Stats (surely every possible scenario was covered), the Habs go no lower than 5th no matter what.

That was a much better period (not just because of Eller's goal either). They were starting to up the ante on the forecheck more; for the first time in a few games, I saw actual signs of life. This one's still up for grabs.

That last two minutes was the habs team that was winning. Out skating the other team and hunting the puck with tenacity. They need that to continue.

They didn't always play 60 minutes, but they always played hard in the first twenty and usually had a lead. The biggest issue in the slump has been getting down early. Sometimes, Price just let them down, but it seemed to ripple through the team.

If they can rally and win this, maybe it will get them back on track with some confidence.

Ha ha, well, this wasn't what I meant! I assumed that MT would find a very receptive dressing room this year, but that, probably at some point next season, his act would wear thin, as it did catastrophically in Pittsburgh. Even I didn't think the team would tune him out after 46 games!

And in truth, I can't believe that's what's really happened. It's probably more a matter of a drop-off in intensity snowballing into a bona-fide slump from a team that has to play with 100% commitment in order to have a chance. They may be discovering the terrible truth that you can't turn it on and off like a tap: the oldest cliché in the book, and one we could have avoided if players had been wiser, I think.

Lost in translation I guess. What happened to the Marvelous Men who got me back to watching after the lockout?

Agggghhhh.. a Leaf loss and I'll have to leave town... just a second... I live in TO. That may not be such a bad thing!

• Upvote 1