GDT: Ottawa @ Montreal, Game 1, May 2nd, 7:00pm

Commandant

At the beginning of the 3rd, when it was still 2-1, I told my wife, "I don't like what I see with Price." He had just misplayed 2 simple plays. Sure enough, about 30 seconds later, right through the 5-hole. Then on the next goal, even though the announcers are saying he's being screened, he actually wasn't. I watched the replay about 5 times on my PVR. The so-called screener is standing to his right. When the shot is taken, Price is looking at the screener instead of trying to pick up the puck. So, yes, he never saw the shot because he was not looking for it as he should have been.

We will never win with this guy. The situation reminds me of QB Rob Johnson with the Buffalo Bills. He had all the tools. He was supposed to be great. He played some games where he was awesome. But it never happened because Johnson didn't have what it takes above his shoulders. The Bills threw away chances to win the Super Bowl because of waiting for this guy to finally fulfill his promise. Never happened.

Same thing with Price. How many years are we going to waste waiting for this guy to realize his so-called potential? It hasn't happened in 6 years. Why would anyone think it's suddenly going to magically appear? Some here will point to Roy and say there were nay-sayers even with Roy. And there were. The big difference is that Roy had already won a Cup... and with a team that never should have won.

My hope lies with Bergevin. He has proven to be a great GM so far. He needs to address our goaltending situation because, folks, we have one and it's a serious one. If there's a credible goalie becoming a free agent this year, he should sign him. At the very least, let Price compete for the job instead of handing it to him year after year.

You simply can't win with poor goaltending. Philadelphia has proven that over the years. Vancouver with Luongo, same thing. How many years before their management finally woke up and realized that "Mr. Fantastic sometimes" just wasn't ever going to do it? For those of you who've played at any level, you know what a bad goal does to you, especially in a close game. We had just peppered Anderson with close to 40 shots after 2 periods, and we still lose the game. It also gives great confidence and momentum to the other team. "Hey guys, keep shooting. They'll go in soon enough. And our guy will keep us in the game." It's downright depressing and I'm really hopeful we don't waste any more years waiting for this guy.

so now what?

does armstrong draw in

prust galchenyuk gallagher

armstrong white moen

or halpern to centre the kids and leave the 4th?

id like to see

prust galchenyuk gallagher (with prust taking the draws)

armstrong halpern moen (even though white played ok)

Maxpac-Galchenyuk-Gallegher #1 line play with #1 d pairing

Bourque-Pleks-Ryder

Gionta-DD-Prust

Moen-Halpern-White

Therrien. "Anderson was better then Price".

While obvious, it speaks volumes. If Price gets the start tomorrow and doesn't play stellar, Budaj must come in for game three.

Remember, Price is suppose to be our franchise player. We should expect Anderson type performances from him and a save percentage 930 or better.

At the beginning of the 3rd, when it was still 2-1, I told my wife, "I don't like what I see with Price." He had just misplayed 2 simple plays. Sure enough, about 30 seconds later, right through the 5-hole. Then on the next goal, even though the announcers are saying he's being screened, he actually wasn't. I watched the replay about 5 times on my PVR. The so-called screener is standing to his right. When the shot is taken, Price is looking at the screener instead of trying to pick up the puck. So, yes, he never saw the shot because he was not looking for it as he should have been.

We will never win with this guy. The situation reminds me of QB Rob Johnson with the Buffalo Bills. He had all the tools. He was supposed to be great. He played some games where he was awesome. But it never happened because Johnson didn't have what it takes above his shoulders. The Bills threw away chances to win the Super Bowl because of waiting for this guy to finally fulfill his promise. Never happened.

Same thing with Price. How many years are we going to waste waiting for this guy to realize his so-called potential? It hasn't happened in 6 years. Why would anyone think it's suddenly going to magically appear? Some here will point to Roy and say there were nay-sayers even with Roy. And there were. The big difference is that Roy had already won a Cup... and with a team that never should have won.

My hope lies with Bergevin. He has proven to be a great GM so far. He needs to address our goaltending situation because, folks, we have one and it's a serious one. If there's a credible goalie becoming a free agent this year, he should sign him. At the very least, let Price compete for the job instead of handing it to him year after year.

You simply can't win with poor goaltending. Philadelphia has proven that over the years. Vancouver with Luongo, same thing. How many years before their management finally woke up and realized that "Mr. Fantastic sometimes" just wasn't ever going to do it? For those of you who've played at any level, you know what a bad goal does to you, especially in a close game. We had just peppered Anderson with close to 40 shots after 2 periods, and we still lose the game. It also gives great confidence and momentum to the other team. "Hey guys, keep shooting. They'll go in soon enough. And our guy will keep us in the game." It's downright depressing and I'm really hopeful we don't waste any more years waiting for this guy.

We're still in the playoffs buddy.

Playing Price next game isn't a tough call, it's the go to move.

I missed some of the third period downfall unfortunately (and fortunately) but great game by Prust and Bourque.

Maxpac-Galchenyuk-Gallegher #1 line play with #1 d pairing

Bourque-Pleks-Ryder

Gionta-DD-Prust

Moen-Halpern-White

i dont think mixing up all 4 lines is the answer. we played very well overall tonight in all aspects of the game just didnt get the goals.

anderson steals game 1.

price needs to play some inspired hockey now in game #2

diaz seemed to struggle a bit tonight as well gorges

We're still in the playoffs buddy.

Yeah, we are, but not for too much longer. We just played a f-----g great game, and lost due to goaltending (on both teams). Do you expect Ottawa to be this bad every game? Can we continue to play this way every game? When does the team start to lose confidence (if they already haven't)? If Price couldn't improve on his horrid play that he's demonstrated for the last 2 months, why is he suddenly going to do it. (CBC showed a graphic. His save percentage the first 2 months was around .925, not Anderson-like but good enough. March's was .905, and April something like .876) I absolutely hate to say it, but not only are we going to lose, it's not even going to be a long series.

And for those of you who are praying for Budaj, he's also not the answer, although I think we probably would have won had he been in tonight. He's proven over the years that he's not a starting goalie.

Look, some here are going to say, that I'm not a true fan because of all the negativity. Well, I am a fan and have been for the last 50 years. And there's a lot to be hopeful about. For the first time since Serge Savard, we have a very good GM. Therrien has been my favourite coach since Jacques Demers. We are this close to being a great team. And I'm not asking for a Kenny Dryden or a Jacques Plante. We just need a solid goalie who doesn't soil the bed once the pressure's on. I think if Bergevin makes this one extra improvement, the future looks very bright for this team. We're young, we're fast, we're grittier than we were, and we're talented. We just need decent goaltending when it counts.

A tough loss for sure but there were a lot of positives to draw from. The first 40 minutes were very well played; if the Habs can play somewhat like that tomorrow, they should be in good shape. Anderson stole this one - he's the exact reason I have this going 7. He can steal a series on his own with performances like this one.

The 3 Stars are up as well: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3075

Budaj isn't the answer long term, but he might be the answer in the short term. Price needs to be sent a message. If Budaj can get us a win or two, maybe when Price gets back in he will be on a mission.

Unfortunately, this reminds me of a few seasons ago when Price was struggling and said he had no idea what was wrong. It was not something he just snapped out of.

Two things deflated us tonight.

1) The intermission. Team was high on adrenaline post hit, but they had a big let down in the second intermission as adrenaline died out and concern for Eller hit.

2) This was compounded by a terrible goal by Price. (Only bad goal he gave up.)

But its just one game. Time to bounce back and get them in game 2.

The other thing I'll say

Price was not as bad as some are making him out to be tonight.

That said, his performance, by virtue of giving up the key goal to make it 2-2 on a stinker at the worst possible time was not good enough for a franchise goalie at 6.5 million. He needs to be better.

Price was terrible on the second goal, but the 4th goal was also caused directly by his disastrous inability to control the rebound. You can't say this loss was his fault exactly - failing to score on the 5-on-3 was huge, and Anderson was superb - but he cannot play like that. I don't know what his problem is. He's reminding me of Luongo with this constant wrestling with his own psyche and the constant unease he generates in consequence. Like Luongo, he seems to be emerging as a guy who will crack if you just keep the game on edge for long enough.

No more excuses, no more apologies for Price. He HAS to deliver, he HAS to dominate from here on in. Period.

Unlike Commandant, I thought the energy dissipated after the Eller hit. I've seen that movie before, actually...horrifying injury leads to the aggrieved team losing momentum. Of course, the fact that Eller - our best C up to that point - was out of the lineup may have been a direct contributing factor to the dip in effectiveness. Also, NO team can indefinitely sustain the kind of total domination we were exercising.

I'm sure tired of losing important players in catastrophic ways in the stretch drive or playoffs: I won't mention Zednik, but Koivu against the 'Canes, Markov in 2010, Patches in 2011, Eller now. I guess Eller isn't quite as big a loss as the other three were, but it's pretty damned disgusting.

Incidentally, I thought the hit was...well, not "clean," but not a suspendable offence. It was more in the way of being an irresponsibly vicious hit, which is not the same thing as an illegal one. Eller was leaning way in and got clobbered with the shoulder. Now, if I had my way, ANY hit to the head would automatically be a suspension. But that's not how the NHL does things. The really sick thing is that NHL players no longer pull up when they have the chance to (literally) kill somebody. If they'd played like this is the pre-helmet era, the rinks would have been filled with corpses. It's a disgrace.

Final thought: Diaz stunk out the joint, from the suicide pass that caused the Eller injury to numerous bobbles and garbled plays. Wake up or be stapled to the pine, chump.

* Diaz was brutal at every facet of the game tonight.

* Did anyone see Ryder out there tonight?

* Price let in some soft goals and we will not advance if he does that.

* 50 shots on net, most were not threatening but still out chanced the Sens big time and deserved a better fate.

* What's up with getting tossed from the face off all the time?

* Subban was the best player on the ice not named Anderson.

* How is DD getting still getting primo PP time? Useless out there.

* Both goals scored by the Habs were within 5 feet. More of that please.

* Hope Eller is okay and can return to play in this series. He's been a stud lately.

Hopefully that distasteful headline will motivate the troops moving forward

PK Subban...oh my Lord, what a hockey player. Erikkson is sneakier and more dangerous in the offensive zone, but in terms of all-around game, Subban dominates like few others in hockey. An absolute beast and he brought his A-game tonight. That's one bright spot, anyway.

I don't care what anybody says to the contrary... The loss falls on Price. The 2nd goal has to be stopped. Completely deflated the team.

Put Halpern in ... Good at faceoffs and we need the puck.

Also put Armstrong in for Moen.

If I was Diaz, I would :

1. Get ready to pay EVERY breakfast/lunch/supper bill that Eller will ever receive as long as both are with the same team;

2. Ban this pass of my own repertoire;

3. Wake the up on the ice.

This could get ugly with Carey Price. I believe in him, but if this keeps up, he's going to be run out of town. Also, when I see that Ottawa Sun cover, I laugh. Who reads newspapers anymore? I'm old enough to remember when they were relevant. All those people will be unemployed in 5 years tops.

Anyone think maybe putting in Kaberle isn't such a bad idea? He's the player on the Habs roster with the most playoff experience. Also, about the Eller injury, I think Gryba should be suspended because while we could argue it wasn't a dirty hit and the intention wasn't to cause Eller harm, in the end he still has a broken nose and concussion... Therefore, Gryba should get a suspension and i'm sure Shanahan will go that way! Price was simply terrible tonight on those last 2 goals, he was looking steady when it was 2-1 and then he fell apart! Diaz not only made a suicide pass to Eller, but his play was pretty bad tonight. Moen and Gionta should get less icetime, also DD and Gorges were mediocre! Prust should have dropped the gloves once play resumed after Eller's injury, would've fired up the habs...In the end, the loss is acceptable, we did everything right and Anderson basically stole this game from us. However, losing Eller hurts and no one can bring what he did to our lineup... We have to win tonight and I hope Price plays better. I would, however, consider Budaj, Price seems like he always crumbles when there's some opposition.

PK Subban...oh my Lord, what a hockey player. Erikkson is sneakier and more dangerous in the offensive zone, but in terms of all-around game, Subban dominates like few others in hockey. An absolute beast and he brought his A-game tonight. That's one bright spot, anyway.

That was the bright spot in last night's game for sure...PK looked fired up and led by example. Was great to see.

Anyone think maybe putting in Kaberle isn't such a bad idea? He's the player on the Habs roster with the most playoff experience. Also, about the Eller injury, I think Gryba should be suspended because while we could argue it wasn't a dirty hit and the intention wasn't to cause Eller harm, in the end he still has a broken nose and concussion... Therefore, Gryba should get a suspension and i'm sure Shanahan will go that way! Price was simply terrible tonight on those last 2 goals, he was looking steady when it was 2-1 and then he fell apart! Diaz not only made a suicide pass to Eller, but his play was pretty bad tonight. Moen and Gionta should get less icetime, also DD and Gorges were mediocre! Prust should have dropped the gloves once play resumed after Eller's injury, would've fired up the habs...In the end, the loss is acceptable, we did everything right and Anderson basically stole this game from us. However, losing Eller hurts and no one can bring what he did to our lineup... We have to win tonight and I hope Price plays better. I would, however, consider Budaj, Price seems like he always crumbles when there's some opposition.

You have a very different understanding of the NHL's disciplinary regime than I do.

As for Kaberle, he would be an upgrade on the Diaz we saw last night, that's for sure. It's possible, though, that Bergevin doesn't want him dressed. Remember how they bought out Gomer before the games started in case he got injured? Same could apply here.

You have a very different understanding of the NHL's disciplinary regime than I do.

As for Kaberle, he would be an upgrade on the Diaz we saw last night, that's for sure. It's possible, though, that Bergevin doesn't want him dressed. Remember how they bought out Gomer before the games started in case he got injured? Same could apply here.

I think it should be in the rules that you can get supended if someone is injured because of a play you made, even if it was legal...because in the end, the player that made the hit keeps playing while the other is in the hospital. Eller was vulnerable and I don't think Gryba was right to finish his check, he could've tried to poke check the puck away from him. And if not Kaberle, then Weber, maybe he would step it up. The thing i'm afraid of is that if Therrien takes out Diaz, he might think it's because of his pass to Eller and that will make him feel even more guilty, he will get demoralized and won't play good!

Diaz didnt see the guy. He said himself he never would have made that pass if he saw him coming. It is a split second decision, Even Therrien says he won't blame him. Frankly, you are all falling for the old guard line that it wasnt Grybas fault, it was Diaz, or Eller's. Grybe is a no name puke that came flying in with intent to crush the guy as the puck came. He saw Eller was vulnerable and didnt hit him square. Had he hit square, Eller would have been rocked, not knocked out. He hit him in the head with his shoulder. He should have hit Eller in the shoulder. I suspect the league will ignore it.

As for Diaz, I thought he was playing well most of the game. He had that beauty pass to Bourque for a break away. Perhaps he was rattled after Eller was hit. We know,he felt awful about it and his,play went down hill after.

Ryder, DD, Jorges, and Pacs were not in playoff mode. Even Bourque was turning away from hitting Karlsson. This is the playoffs. Karlsson should need his head up constantly and ice packs after the game. That said, that game was winnable if Price doesn't blow that 2nd goal on a nothing play.the fourth stunk as well, the third was saveable.

Anderson kept his team close, but the fact is, we had a lead and Price gave it away. It's not lke we were terrible in the third. The play was even, the goaltending was not.

Tonight's game is critical. If we can't break Anderson and get a stellar performance from Price, this will be a short series and all those analysts will be right.