10 years of the HW Forums

dlbalr

The month of May back in 2003 is important to us at HabsWorld. And no, it wasn't because of all the excitement surrounding the career year for Jan Bulis (40 points). On this date ten years ago, the HW Forums first launched. In its early days it was primarily a place for us to collaborate on the website project (which went live a few months later) while of course also serving as a place to discuss the bleu-blanc-et-rouge. Ten years and several hundred thousand posts later, the board is still running strong.

I don’t want to get into too much of HW’s history here but I do want to mention a couple of things that many of you may not know. The original idea of HabsWorld came about from the old ESPN message boards in 2002 and it took some time to gather enough people to help get it off the ground.

The original version of the forums wasn’t IP Board which has been what we’ve used for many years now. The first boards were powered by XMB which launched in 2003 and powered over three million different message boards in its prime. For anyone interested in seeing what the first ever forums looked like, please click here. A funny note from those days, what we commonly refer to as PM’s nowadays were called U2U’s at that time.

A couple of years later, we incorporated the original website design template onto the boards and added some new features. We toyed with the idea of a mini arcade (Shockwave games that could be played on the boards) while we also had a member map where posters could tag where they were from; we had members from quite a few countries back then. Unfortunately those didn’t archive particularly well but the features are visible in this archived version of the new-look boards from 2005.

Even though this particular section of the forums hasn’t received a lot of attention over the years, one thing we’ve always tried to provide here is a variety of Fantasy Sports games for our writers and readers to participate in. We have two dedicated hockey pools (known as SK and HWH2H); SK is open yearly to our readers while the H2H league is more invite-based at this time. There actually is a separate sub-forum for the SK league here on the HW Boards.

Additionally, we’ve created fantasy leagues for other sports. The NFL pool is an annual tradition while we’ve at one time or another had pools in Formula One, MLB, and the NBA. If enough people are interested in participating, we can try to get a baseball or basketball league going again (unfortunately the F1 option is no longer available).

There have been many busy nights on the boards over the past decade. Drafts and the beginning of free agency have always brought about lots of activity here but nothing compares to January 12, 2012, also known as the Mike Cammalleri trade saga. Before that date, the highest amount of readers (posters and non-registered readers) that had been on at any given time was a little over 100. That night, when everyone was anxiously waiting to see where he was going and who was coming back, it peaked at a whopping 926. Barring another mid-game trade (you have to admit, that was quite a memorable night even if you didn’t like the deal), it may be a while before we see that milestone fall.

There are lots of people to thank who have helped get us where we are today. In particular, I’d like to single out our moderators over the years, plus our long-term posters (several of whom are among our top posters in terms of messages, click here for the full list).

But of course, I’d like to thank all of our posters (new and old) and readers as we wouldn’t be here today without your support over the years. Thanks for ten years of terrific discussion and here’s to many more.

• Upvote 1

I found this site when I was searching for stories on Kovalev becoming a Hab. since then, this has been my first stop for all Habs news and a place I've made some great Internet friends. thx to all those who set up and maintain this great forum.

to 10 more years of Habs talk and many many Stanley Cups for Montreal during those years!!

Ah, those were some good old days. I was a semi-regular poster on those old ESPN boards back in 2002-03, just before HW launched. I didn't go on much during that off season after school let out, so I didn't really visit much and kind of forgot about it. Then during the Spring of 2004 during the playoffs I hopped back on and was disappointed to not see guys like puck7x and KoZed on the ESPN boards anymore. I posted asked where everyone went and one of the old trolls (I don't recall which one) told me to screw off and join the losers at HabsWorld. Thus began my tenure here and it was a lot of fun for a long time. I spent a lot of time on these boards as well as some time on the main site itself during my college days. Good times! I miss the camaraderie of HWL. It's a shame we no longer had anyone willing to take the reins and lead us.

Ah, those were some good old days. I was a semi-regular poster on those old ESPN boards back in 2002-03, just before HW launched. I didn't go on much during that off season after school let out, so I didn't really visit much and kind of forgot about it. Then during the Spring of 2004 during the playoffs I hopped back on and was disappointed to not see guys like puck7x and KoZed on the ESPN boards anymore. I posted asked where everyone went and one of the old trolls (I don't recall which one) told me to screw off and join the losers at HabsWorld. Thus began my tenure here and it was a lot of fun for a long time. I spent a lot of time on these boards as well as some time on the main site itself during my college days. Good times! I miss the camaraderie of HWL. It's a shame we no longer had anyone willing to take the reins and lead us.

Yeah, HWL has it's own particular responsability concerning the top posters list.

Tons of fun (and tons of posts) coming from this hobby. Miss it.

I joined in the 9th month. Didn't realise it was that new when I joined. Lots of good times and not so over that period. Some heated discussions for sure and I have to admit I wasn't always civil. Actually surprised I lasted!

Congrats on the 10 years and here is to many more. Hopefully when we are talking 20 years the drive for 30 will be on!

Sounds like LindenFan to me :D

Been here since the ESPN days. Trolls vs us there and then followed the normal people here.

congrats dlbair and all the mods and people who made this happen. I've had some rocky times on the the boards and some great times. I took some time away from the boards but I missed it so much I just had to come back. Lets keep it doing for another 10 years and then renew it. ok? :habslogo:

Sounds like LindenFan to me :D

Been here since the ESPN days. Trolls vs us there and then followed the normal people here.

Indeed it was! I remember there were a handful of really negative jerks on this site whom we suspected of being LindenFan is disguise. They didn't last long, lol.

Going through the old versions of the site is a kick. Just be careful about going to the December 2005 archive. They chose to archive the day the site was brought down by a hacker and a message still pops up. No idea if it is actually dangerous or not, but I Ctrl-Alt-Deleted my way off my browser rather than take any chances. What are the chances that would be what would get archived?

Indeed it was! I remember there were a handful of really negative jerks on this site whom we suspected of being LindenFan is disguise. They didn't last long, lol.

Going through the old versions of the site is a kick. Just be careful about going to the December 2005 archive. They chose to archive the day the site was brought down by a hacker and a message still pops up. No idea if it is actually dangerous or not, but I Ctrl-Alt-Deleted my way off my browser rather than take any chances. What are the chances that would be what would get archived?

Unfortunately we can't control when the crawler archives. I could for a few months way back when but not for a long time now. I actually was trying to remember when the boards were hacked, I guess that's when it happened.

Thanks Brian for writing this. Great memories! Incredible it's been 10 years. Nice to see many originals still around. The community has been blessed with great quality members additions over the years. HW has been slowly growing over the years without any pretension. We've been blessed with many members contributing on the forums and on the website for many years. But there's one that has been here all the time from day 1, only one that kept contributing, more and more, and it's Brian La Rose. Thank you Brian, thanks for your behind the scene work and for your great contribution on the forum and website. Nice to read you, nice to have you here at HabsWorld !

• Upvote 2

Based on the number of posts vs time on, I am a chatty little hab fan. :)

I do love posting / live blogging during games, happy, mad, or sad. It gives me the feeling of sitting in a bar with friends screaming at the TV and arguing with each other.

There are some great posters on here. Some are deep thinkers with well reasoned thoughts. Some sound like reactionary drunks (what, me?), and some bring up little points here or there that really get you thinking.

I look forward to another ten years, I just hope we aren't still waiting for the cup.

I love the site and the small group that have been here forever.

I love the new people and especially the arguing. It's wonderful the insight many have here and when the Habs are losing message boards can usually cheer me up.

I signed up in 2005 and honestly can't remember how I stumbled upon it. You've all played a role in keeping me well informed; especially while I was living back in Greece.

2005 found me young, single and ready to mingle..

2013 finds me more in love, day by day, with my wife and two children (and the stinkin' Habs of course!)

I wish nothing but health and happiness to everyone who has kept me company over the years. Especially Brian, whom is not only the glue that keeps this all together but has morphed into a formidable capologist.

Although I don't post much, I do read A LOT! Special shout out to "well connected" JMMR, well informed "Commandant" and the always cool "Cuccumber."

Cheers!

Congrats HabsWorld !!!!! :) Thanks for being and may you be around for another many many years :)

This place has been a godsend to me, living as I do in British Columbia, where the Habs coverage is sparse and I have no fellow fans with which to commiserate. Thanks to everyone for making it a cool place. Now, if only Wamsley would come back... ;)

I remember that a local swedish newspaper used this site as its source for an article some years ago... dont remember the article though.

I recall you mentioning that back at the time although I can't remember either what it was about specifically.

This place has been a godsend to me, living as I do in British Columbia, where the Habs coverage is sparse and I have no fellow fans with which to commiserate. Thanks to everyone for making it a cool place. Now, if only Wamsley would come back... ;)

you are not alone. There are lots of us in BC but we are shy.

Ha! I remember when we "live blogged" (before there was such a thing) games on the ESPN boards. Lots of fun. I think I was member #6 or something like that. I do know that my sign up date is May 12, 2003, though! I've been around awhile, just haven't posted much these past few years. Congrats on hitting 10!

you are not alone. There are lots of us in BC but we are shy.

We're "shy" until the Habs start winning in the Canuckleheads' barn! Then the whole building resounds with 'GO HABS GO!!!' for the entire night :lol: Boy, if I were a Canucks fan, that'd drive me absolutely batty. :habslogo:

Ha! I remember when we "live blogged" (before there was such a thing) games on the ESPN boards. Lots of fun. I think I was member #6 or something like that. I do know that my sign up date is May 12, 2003, though! I've been around awhile, just haven't posted much these past few years. Congrats on hitting 10!

Yep, you're #6, one of the few to still 'out rank' me. :)

Thanks Brian for that wonderful historical HW recap. Here's to another great 10 years! The best is yet to come.

My thanks to you Brian and those in particular who put in the time and effort to create.this excellent meeting place where we can laugh and cry together celebrating our quasi mystical union with les glorieux.

Many thanks from a relatively new member much Indebted to many for enriching my appreciation and enjoyment.

Merci

• Upvote 1