Magnus Nygren signs a 2 year ELC

dlbalr

It's not official yet (the contract has to be registered with the NHL and IIHF) but the Habs and Magnus Nygren have reportedly come to terms on a 2 year ELC. They had until June 1st to sign him. Note that this does not guarantee he'll be in Hamilton next year, they may opt to keep him with his SEL team.

http://www.nwt.se/sport/folj_fbk/article1308007.ece (Swedish link)

It's being reported that the deal won't be registered until the new PTA between the NHL and IIHF gets signed. I read the other day that the framework for a deal is done (particularly as it pertains to Sweden) and that the rest of the member nations with the exception of Russia were in the process of finalizing this so hopefully it shouldn't take too long to make this official.

http://tvasports.ca/hockey/canadiens/magnus-nygren-sous-contrat-14052013

Nygren has been up and down. Maybe he is very dependant on who he is paired with. He played with a D-man named Chris Lee (Not the referee!) this past year and I bet some of Nygren's success came from that.

One thing I am very sure about is that Nygren's nickname in Sweden wont follow him to the NHL... He is called Nygga and when saying that in english it sounds bad....

Contract info:

13-14: $792,500 base salary, $132,500 in performance bonuses, $92,500 signing bonus

14-15: $925,000 base salary, no performance bonuses, $92,500 signing bonus

Cap hit of $925,000.

All those performance bonuses in the first year tell me there is a good chance he comes to North America.

The last time a Swedish player signed an entry-level deal that had bonuses in the first year wound up staying in Sweden for the first season - that being Andreas Engqvist. Nygren got the AHL max on an ELC as well though so like you, I'd say there's a pretty good chance at this point.

Nygren in an interview all but confirms he'll be playing in North America next year. He notes that Farjestad can't hold his roster spot open for long and that the Habs do not appear to be willing to loan him back to the SEL (Link in Swedish). http://nwt.se/sport/folj_fbk/article1314186.ece

Sweden's journalists voted Nygren to Sweden's International Tournaments All-Star team, here's what that means via translation:

The vote was Swedish player's efforts in Swedish, Russian or European national series and the Tre Kronor internationals, EHT tournaments and world championships.