Grade Marc Bergevin's first year

dlbalr

In pure hockey terms, the Kaberle deal was actually quite reasonabe. The point was to acquire a guy who could help the power-play, the ineffectiveness of which was the primary reason that last year's team was sucking. All of this was made necessary by Markov's unexpected relapse; having failed to sign any insurance on D other than Campoli, Goat was in a position where he HAD to do something. So Goat basically gave up nothing to get a player who had a track record of producing PP points. It made sense, in context. Unfortunately Kabs didn't really give the PP the kind of pop it needed, and - more importantly - by that point the rebellion against Martin had acquired a life of its own. His being replaced by a 'temporary' coach didn't help matters. It was all too late; nothing short of radical surgery was going to help that toxic team.

As a cap move? That's another story. But Gauthier may well have calculated that a buyout would be an option under the new CBA. And you know, most teams have one or two crap contracts.

So personally I think the deal was made out to be worse than it actually was. People were acting like we gave up Guy Lafleur for a bag of pucks or something.

Bob Gainey did a pretty good job as GM. The Gomez trade turned out to be a disaster, but like others on here have said, who the hell would have thought he could be that bad that suddenly. The trading of Cammy after the 2nd is nonsense, that was Feaster trying to get all his ducks in a row. How come I never hear anyone critisizing Feaster for that fork up? Gauthier was an mystery and gets blamed for results. Ok but the Kaberle trade was made due to injuries. We had no defenceman left and he was all that was available. Good trade ? NO but he did the best with what he had. Some people sure do like to make it sound worse than it was. :habslogo:

Gainey did well relative to Houle or Milbury. But was a terrible GM if you compare him to most competent GM's.

I don't get how habs fans have lowered their standards to Leaf standards when assessing management.

I generally like Gainey but he certainly was not a real risk taker and did not think out of the box.

To let Koivu and Kovalev go + trading for Gomez and hiring Gill - Cammy - Gionta - Spacek on July 1st was not taking a real risk ?!?!?!

Gainey took the wrong risks. He also played conservative at the wrong times. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. In hindsight it's ridiculous to think we thought we could win a Cup led by Koivu and Kovalev. Or that adding Tanguay/Lang was the answer. Or that the Kostitsyn's were the future. But at the same time he did eventually clear house and finally ended the fragmented locker room. It just happened too late.

The main problem with the Kaberle deal was that we gave up the chance of dumping Spacek at the deadline. UFA veteran D with playoff experience could have netted us a second rounder, at least.

The main problem with the Kaberle deal was that we gave up the chance of dumping Spacek at the deadline. UFA veteran D with playoff experience could have netted us a second rounder, at least.

No he couldn't.

Carolina was as much out of a playoff spot and as much of a seller as we were.

Rutherford offered Spacek to anyone who would take him for a draft pick.

There were no takers.

Why do you think Gauthier would have been any better at this?

• 4 weeks later...

Everyone seems to be forgetting MB's only real blemish (not that I think he deserves anything less than an A), but signing Desharnais to the extension at a hit of (what was it?) $3.5-ish per? Too much for a kid that's really doing nothing. He's not killing cap space, but unless he starts produces well again, he's overpaid and unmovable IMO.

Everyone seems to be forgetting MB's only real blemish (not that I think he deserves anything less than an A), but signing Desharnais to the extension at a hit of (what was it?) $3.5-ish per? Too much for a kid that's really doing nothing. He's not killing cap space, but unless he starts produces well again, he's overpaid and unmovable IMO.

At the time of his signing he was a 60 points a season centreman. Well worth 3.5 million.

What contract was Bergevin supposed to sign him to?

Gainey did well relative to Houle or Milbury. But was a terrible GM if you compare him to most competent GM's.

I don't get how habs fans have lowered their standards to Leaf standards when assessing management.

you don't remember how bad it was when big bob got here. THAT is revisionist history.

At the time of his signing he was a 60 points a season centreman. Well worth 3.5 million.

What contract was Bergevin supposed to sign him to?

At the time of his signing he was a struggling boob. Mid-March, I think it was. A train of thought says that MB made the signing with the hope of lighting a fire under DD's butt and get him back to where he was. He was a 60-point guy in his first real year - the year when players are most overlooked. Once they show they can produce a little, other teams focus on them and the strong survive while the smurfs are steamrolled.

Perhaps a bit extreme, but DD is *not* the future of this team, nor is he even close to worth what he's paid unless he makes a massive turn-around (which I don't believe he can do, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong).

you don't remember how bad it was when big bob got here. THAT is revisionist history.

Yeah, comparing Gainey to Houle/Milbury is ridiculous. Houle destroyed a Cup winning team under the orders of the ownership. Milbury sacrificed 10 years of high grade prospects for nothing. Gainey was a good but flawed GM.

DD's points prorated to 82 games = 48

Prorated doesn't work. And there's more to it than points. How about his laughingstock performance in playoffs. Spent more time on his backside than on skates

Bergevin moves: My opinion is a C+,at best. I'd give him an A for salesmanship though. he sure knows what people want to hear

Prust signing A

Moen contract D

Price contract C-

Drewiske trade F

" resign F

Armstrong D

Bouillion re-up D

Galy pick A

Halpern C

Not getting Erskine or McCormick on waivers D

2013 draft, too early to tell

Hiring Therrien B

P.K contract negotiations F-

DD 4 yr extension F

Gomez buy out A,

Kaberle buyout/situation last yr C

Edited by jcc10

Can we nickname Bergevin Poppa Smurf now with another 5'9 acquisition. bBt your A$$ that Gionta and markov will be re-signed. Please,please bring back Pierre Gauthier. Bergevin couldn't hold his jockstrap.He's A.Savard,Houle,Gainey and Gauthier all rolled up into one

• Upvote 2

Can we nickname Bergevin Poppa Smurf now with another 5'9 acquisition. bBt your A$$ that Gionta and markov will be re-signed. Please,please bring back Pierre Gauthier. Bergevin couldn't hold his jockstrap.He's A.Savard,Houle,Gainey and Gauthier all rolled up into one

I had to +1 this temper tantrum. It's that bad.

Bergevin moves: My opinion is a C+,at best. I'd give him an A for salesmanship though. he sure knows what people want to hear

Prust signing A

Moen contract D

Price contract C-

Drewiske trade F

" resign F

Armstrong D

Bouillion re-up D

Galy pick A

Halpern C

Not getting Erskine or McCormick on waivers D

2013 draft, too early to tell

Hiring Therrien B

P.K contract negotiations F-

DD 4 yr extension F

Gomez buy out A,

Kaberle buyout/situation last yr C

Well...I agree with a lot of these grades except I thought Subban handling deserves a B...it was the right move.

I also think the Price signing was a great move...probably a B...kid is still only 25 and a goalie you want to continue to build around.

If Subban is now signed to a similar deal and fades then you'll be crying about that next season. Why the difference?

I couldn't find it when I went to look it up. He just got extended with the Caps, I doubt they waived him just before.

I thought so too... didn't know why Bergevin was getting a failing grade for not claiming a guy who wasn't available.