2013 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Did Feaster just trade for a guy who was recently on waivers? LOL I feel so bad for the Flames. Feaster is HORRIBLE.

Yes; yes he did. I'm glad I'm not the only one who had that thought spring to mind.

Could Feaster be any more of a clown? My goodness, it's as though he's Reggie Houle long-lost soul brother, trapped plying his incompetence in a cap system.

What do we think about Clarkson? Would we want that deal on our team?

What do we think about Clarkson? Would we want that deal on our team?

I like the player, the character, and he has reasonable skill. But not at that coin.

Could Feaster be any more of a clown? My goodness, it's as though he's Reggie Houle long-lost soul brother, trapped plying his incompetence in a cap system.

Incidentally, I think Feaster is worse than Houle. Considerably.

Iginla to Boston. That's kind of funny.

But only if he really declines hard.

Or if Pittsburgh eliminates Boston in the playoffs next year.

• Upvote 1

Edmonton acquires David Perron, another small, uni-dimensional offensive winger, not exactly an area of need for them. I'm curious to see what they gave up here.

Edit: It's Paajarvi and a 2nd, not bad. (I'm not sure Paajarvi can be the top six forward he was talked up as when he was picked.)

Edmonton acquires David Perron, another small, uni-dimensional offensive winger, not exactly an area of need for them. I'm curious to see what they gave up here.

Edit: It's Paajarvi and a 2nd, not bad. (I'm not sure Paajarvi can be the top six forward he was talked up as when he was picked.)

Salary dump?

Salary dump?

I'm thinking so. The Blues aren't usually a cap team and they still have Stewart and Pietrangelo (plus Paajarvi) to sign with about $13 million left in space. Looking at this...they're probably going to be a cap team this year.

Players who filed for arbitration (via TSN):

Detroit Red Wings - Brendan Smith
Edmonton Oilers - Sam Gagner
Los Angeles Kings - Trevor Lewis, Alec Martinez, Jake Muzzin, Jordan Nolan
Montreal Canadiens - Ryan White
Nashville Predators - Nick Spaling
New York Islanders - Josh Bailey
New York Rangers - Mats Zuccarello
Ottawa Senators - Eric Condra
Pittsburgh Penguins - Robert Bortuzzo
St. Louis Blues - Chris Stewart
Toronto Maple Leafs - Mark Fraser, Carl Gunnarsson
Vancouver Canucks - Dale Weise
Winnipeg Jets - Zach Bogosian, Bryan Little, Paul Postma, Eric Tangradi, Blake Wheeler

The Winnipeg situation is interesting.

Ryan White? What is he trying too get?

Also, about Winnipeg is it that these people just don't like being in a small city/high pressure market? I mean Atlanta to Winnipeg is a big change of scenery... or is it a bigger problem within the organization and how they handle players?

Anyone know anything?

Ryan White? What is he trying too get?

Also, about Winnipeg is it that these people just don't like being in a small city/high pressure market? I mean Atlanta to Winnipeg is a big change of scenery... or is it a bigger problem within the organization and how they handle players?

Anyone know anything?

I know nothing about it, but I do remember that when the Peg was brought back into the league some mutterings were heard about how the city would have a ton of problems being competitive for UFAs, just because it's...well, Winnipeg. I don't want to slag anyone's home town, but think about it, if you're a multi-millionaire athlete in a league with towns like NY, Toronto, LA, etc., none of the prairie franchises are liable to be your preferred destination, and Winnipeg in particular is known for its horrendous climate, etc.. So players not being particularly enthused about staying there may be a factor.

laugh.gif had to check in a english to french dictionnary for "heresy" and then in a french dictionnary for "hérésie" laugh.gif

But yeah, I believe heresy is possible in our hockey world. Just imagine if 4-5 actuals NHL owners sell their team and go buy some European teams, joined by Balsilie, Cuban, 3-4 Arabic oil magnates who sudently like hockey, etc...

Crazy, would not be fun for the NHL, but... how's this so impossible ? Every empire can fall.

I'll even push my luck and make a Nostradamus prediction here :

In 2025, at least one other league in Europe will be attracting big players. You read it here.

BOOOM !

Patrice Bergeron gets an 8 year extension with a cap hit of $6.5M. Boston has a ton of money locked up in their core - looking ahead to two years from now, they have over $42 million committed to eight players. Also, about half their team has a no-trade or no-move clause in their deals.

Sounds like us a couple of years back. Hopefully their core is a little better than was ours - which is now mostly gone and bought out.

Sounds like us a couple of years back. Hopefully their core is a little better than was ours - which is now mostly gone and bought out.

A little better? I'm hoping that their core is worse, given that they're a division rival and all.

Patrice Bergeron gets an 8 year extension with a cap hit of $6.5M. Boston has a ton of money locked up in their core - looking ahead to two years from now, they have over $42 million committed to eight players. Also, about half their team has a no-trade or no-move clause in their deals.

That's only two years. Look how they are in five.

A little better? I'm hoping that their core is worse, given that they're a division rival and all.

Well, from their point of view, of course. Too many silly decisions here, but I think Chiarelli is much smarter.