Davis Drewiske signs a two year, $1.275M extension

dlbalr

I actually wasn't expecting him to be resigned but I guess now that I think about it, it does make sense. Bergevin loves his blue line depth, and Drewiske does add some pretty decent size.

We'll be losing a d man in kaberle anyway.

From the few games I saw, Drewiski played well enough to be a 7th defenseman. As long as this deal hovers around the million dollar mark for cap space (maybe less) It'll be alright.

I like the move. Good size and a bottom pair guy or #7. Actually prefer him splitting time with Bouillon on the bottom pair. Decent at penalty killing. The habs will lose Weber, Kaberle and Emelin will miss half the year i guess.

I'd have liked to see a little more of him in the playoffs. Borderline player or not, we need more of this kind of defenceman and in the absence of better options he should probably slot in as the #6 guy more often than he did. Good signing.

With the amount of times that he was a healthy scratch down the stretch I am kind of surprised that Montreal re-signed Drewiske but with that said when Drewiske did play I didn't find that he played that bad at all and with Emelin out for a while Montreal can probably use all the depth they can get

Well, it could be one of these situations where the GM thinks a bit more highly of a guy than the coach. In any case, at that cap hit, this is one contract we won't regret regardless of what happens.

I'm guessing the signing, and a good price too, is partly about MB's stance on rental players. Worse case scenario is he can be easily buried in the AHL with no cap hit.

Not that the Habs are so tight against the cap that they need to bury $637k...

I like the signing. I thought he was good depth that got a bad rap when he was forced into more ice time due to injuries.

Not bad for a guy that we hope doesn't see the ice.

Kidding aside, this is a good depth signing and gives us some stability in case of injuries. He should probably slot in at #8 at the start of the year, if we manage to shore up our D line in the summer.

Subban

Markov

Gorges

Emelin (injured)

(physical defensive D man)

Diaz

Bouillon

Tinordi

Drewiske

Not bad for a guy that we hope doesn't see the ice.

Kidding aside, this is a good depth signing and gives us some stability in case of injuries. He should probably slot in at #8 at the start of the year, if we manage to shore up our D line in the summer.

Subban

Markov

Gorges

Emelin (injured)

(physical defensive D man)

Diaz

Bouillon

Tinordi

Drewiske

If Tinordi is the number 7, I want Tinordi in Hamilton, not Montreal.

If Tinordi is number 6, then of course he can stay.

I'd honestly rather having Drewskie than Bouillon. Having both is meh.

I didn't get the hurry to sign Boullion. He is a 7th dman that is played a lot more then he should hae because of his history with MT.

• Upvote 1

I hope for the first half of the season that Drewiske is platooning with Bouillon as the 6th-7th defenseman, and when Emelin gets back he is the 8th defenseman.

So is 1 of Tinordi or Beaulieu ready for the #5 role for the beginning of the season? Eh...

So is 1 of Tinordi or Beaulieu ready for the #5 role for the beginning of the season? Eh...

Unless he takes a step back, Tinordi is definitely ready. The last two weeks of the Canadiens season/post-season he was playing really well. Beaulieu got high marks from Bergevin as a guy he expects to see more out of, but who knows if he continues adapting.

Once Tinordi gets comfortable with his defensive play, I'm betting he'll get much more physical. Right now you can tell he doesn't want to get out of position for a check and would prefer to just play smart defence. Once he doesn't have to worry about being sent down or benched, he's going to let loose a bit more. He can be a mean, nasty player from his days in London. He can also be the kind of guy who will just grab a player he doesn't like and punch them to dust. Give him a year or two and we'll see that Tinordi.

Beaulieu's physical game is underrated so I hope to see more of that come when his NHL game comes. We're so stacked on defensive youth we don't even know.

If Tinordi is the number 7, I want Tinordi in Hamilton, not Montreal.

If Tinordi is number 6, then of course he can stay.

Yeah, there's no use of him sitting on the bench. That's what Drewiske is for.

If Tinordi builds on his end of season he could easily surpass Bouillon on the depth chart.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be one of the few Canadiens fans with a Drewskie jersey!(just replacing my Hamrlik name plate)

He will get better next year as he learns the system.

Most fans will learn to appreciate his game and his teammates will love him, if Armstrong is gone Davis can really help in the overall team atmosphere.