Free Agency 2013: Who do we want, who can we get?

Trizzak

No kidding! And every one at a huge overpayment. No, you're better off thinking in terms of ONE major UFA addition and a couple of bit pieces (a la Bouillon/Armstrong). And even that may prove a stretch, given MB's lack of enthusiasm for the UFA market.

What's being said, one could logically deduce that our biggest net gain will come a la trade.

Jagr would be interesting, we know he would like to come here but not at a discount. Is there really a big market for him at this point? He is basically a 1 year rental. He is no longer a 5 million dollar guy, maybe 3 million. Probably back to the KHL for his last few cheques.

I would bet there are 14 or 15 teams that would be interested in him. And if he does go back to Europe it's the Czech Republic for him. He owns a team

Cal Clutterbuck is apparently available in minnesota. Big hitting winger, asking price 2nd and a prospect, salary dump by the wild. "A real shift disturber". For the 2nd no prospect or at not one that is ever going to play we should may be interested. 25 years old 215 lbs and still cheap 1.5 mill I think. :habslogo:

Cal Clutterbuck is apparently available in minnesota. Big hitting winger, asking price 2nd and a prospect, salary dump by the wild. "A real shift disturber". For the 2nd no prospect or at not one that is ever going to play we should may be interested. 25 years old 215 lbs and still cheap 1.5 mill I think. :habslogo:

He's a pending RFA. The fact that the Wild are shopping him suggests to me that he's looking for a contract well past the $1.4 M he made last year. Also, I know that he's very good at what he does but a 2nd and a prospect seems a bit steep for a 3rd/4th liner. One or the other would be a lot more palatable.

He's a pending RFA. The fact that the Wild are shopping him suggests to me that he's looking for a contract well past the $1.4 M he made last year. Also, I know that he's very good at what he does but a 2nd and a prospect seems a bit steep for a 3rd/4th liner. One or the other would be a lot more palatable.

you are more than likely right but wild did submit a QO to him, so he has limited options, and as I said a 2nd is enough or maybe with some guy who ain't goona make it. You know the nameless guy in the red shirt in Startrek. He always got killed. :D:habslogo:

With Bickel being out I don't see him going after too many people.

1. VL is interesting if you can have someone take DD, Calgary, Florida, Winnipeg are the only teams i can think of looking for 2nd line center,.

2, Horton, I would go after him for sure. I doubt he even considers the habs

3. Clowe, see what he wants, he could definitely help

4. A legit heavy weight if they don't get a clowe player. White and Prust can't do all the fighting.

It shouldn't have to be a top six guy or bust. Admittedly I haven't looked too hard at the FA class yet (I've been pretty much solely in draft mode for the past few weeks) but at first glance, there are some good role players - not so much heavyweights but physical, energy players, or tertiary offensive players, ones that can be moved up in a pinch if there's an injury. Adding a player like that wouldn't be bad either and I suspect several calls will be made to those players once the negotiation window opens up tomorrow.

One thing that should be considered for this year's UFA period is the economics of it all. Yes, the salary cap is coming down this upcoming season, but will surely be going right back up next year and the years following. This is probably one of the most saturated off season for high profile free agents ever, which should lower the asking price for each of them. I think that it wouldn't be a terrible long-term strategy to sign one or two of these players, as their market value in future years could potentially be locked in at a lower rate.

Keep hearing Toronto will be going "all in" on Clarkson. And Edmonton wants Horton real bad.

Does that mean MB goes after Clowe?

I also have a feeling that Briere or Dupuis are on Mtl's short list even though I don't want them. After finally getting rid of Gomez, Cole and Kaberle - I'm kinda hoping MB doesn't dish out stupid money for a washed up player. I'm totally sold on his strategy of building through the draft.

If Mtl signs Briere, they still need a gritty forward. Prust can't do it all. Unless somebody on the coaching staff can wake up Moen.

Moen was great for us in the playoffs I felt. He fought four times in the season, once in the playoffs. Prust fought 10 times but Prust is one of the most active fighters in the league. Fought 20 times for New York in 11-12.

We do need a winger on the fourth line and in current UFAs I'd suggest Ryan Jones, Akim Aliu (I'm an Aliu apologist. I know he's had problems in the past but hey so did one of our prospects in the recent draft) or Eric Nystrom (which I'm getting conflicting info on if he's UFA or not). Another option is trading for Jared Boll or Tim Jackman. I'd also consider seeing how Louis Leblanc looks in September and putting him on the bottom six. I know he isn't our answer for grit and toughness but I loved his work on the boards in 11-12.

Per Pierre Lebrun:

"Canadiens made contact with Briere's camp on Tuesday night."

I cannot understand why a few days after Montreal spent a draft bulking up with big players, they would trade for a small forward (Thomas) and express interest in the diminutive Danny Briere?

Per Pierre Lebrun:

I cannot understand why a few days after Montreal spent a draft bulking up with big players, they would trade for a small forward (Thomas) and express interest in the diminutive Danny Briere?

The only thing I can hope for, is that, Desharnais is on his way out the door..I can live with Briere if Desharnais is gone..

Briere is an upgrade on Desharnais..

I see Benoit Pouliot wasn't qualified by Tampa, any chance of a second time round with us? He has size, but not exactly gritty

Per Pierre Lebrun:

They didn't reach their quota in the draft !

Forward wise, I think we would have to sign a winger with some size, or get one via trade. I think if we are willing to commit $6m to signing a forward, which is what it will take for an Iginla, we'd be better off going after Horton. My guess is either will sign in the 5m-6m range.

For defense I've always liked Theo Peckham, I think he would do well on bottom pairing. He's not the best defenseman in the world, but he hits anything that moves and isn't afraid to drop his gloves. If we're looking more in the direction of a top 4 pair Guy, Ference, Lydman and White are available. All 3 like to stay at home and bang bodies. I still believe Peckham would be our best bet, with Subban, Emelin and Peckham on a pair each, there will always be someone on the ice that will throw some big hits.

The Breie rumours are troubling... We would have to get rid of Desharnais, but I'm not even sure Briere is a big upgrade over DD, especially in the long term.

At this point, we should only be looking at size, or we should roll with the team we have.

I'd be all in on Horton and maybe Clarkson. Failing that, start looking at guys like Clowe and Penner.

Some other poster mentioned Hendricks. He would be a great addition. I actually thought he was resigned.

I don't see MB going after a D.

You already have

Gorges Markov

Tinordi Subban

Drewiski Diaz and Bouillon

With Beallieu in the wings.

With Emielin coming back mid season. You don't really need 8 Dmen. unless someone is moved.