Free Agency 2013: Who do we want, who can we get?

Trizzak

Lapierre is a terrific 4th-line C and makes us less pleasant to play against. It's a no-brainer for the bottom six if you ask me.

cant totally disagree, some games with Canucks he looked very good, but others he was totallty invisible and added zero grit/abrasiveness.

I like how the team is too small but when compared to Chicago who is also small, we're not skilled enough.

Maybe we need to be more skilled?

Chicago doesn't have one player under 5'10. We're not in the same stratosphere as they are considering grit,skill, size and toughness. They also have Carcillo,Mayer,Bollig and Brookbank on the team,while not used in playoffs are needed to get there and give your skilled players protection and room during the season

Lapierre is a terrific 4th-line C and makes us less pleasant to play against. It's a no-brainer for the bottom six if you ask me.

Was a good 4th liner. Please,no more ex-habs.

Was a good 4th liner. Please,no more ex-habs.

I loved Lapierre when he was on the Canadiens. I think with what MB is going for Lapierre would be a great addition.

Prust - Lapierre - White

What a bottom line. Lapierre/White agitating and Prust/White fighting. I think Lapierre would make for a better agitator if he knows he wouldn't have to fight. The best part is even as "goonish" as the line is, White and Prust is solid defensively, can't remember how good Lapierre is defensively, haven't watched him play in awhile. All things said they'll create energy, get under the skin of the other team and not burn you defensively. I really like the idea.

Totally agree.

Some other players I think we should look at:

Matt Cooke LW ; 34 yrs old - Grit, veteran, sandpaper

Peter Mueller W ; 25 years old - Size, skilled

Guillaume Latendresse W ; 26 years old - Size, 2nd time's a charm?

Damian Brunner W ; 27 years old - Wings are talking with him

Eric Belanger C ; 35 yrs old - great faceoff man

Totally agree.

Some other players I think we should look at:

Matt Cooke LW ; 34 yrs old - Grit, veteran, sandpaper

Peter Mueller W ; 25 years old - Size, skilled

Guillaume Latendresse W ; 26 years old - Size, 2nd time's a charm?

Damian Brunner W ; 27 years old - Wings are talking with him

Eric Belanger C ; 35 yrs old - great faceoff man

Cooke would get destroyed as a Hab as he has no protection like in Pitt. I'd rather go with what we have which isn't much but have no choice. i don't want anymore stiffs signed to multi yr deals.

Schultz is still fairly young and should be cheap.. also Mark Fistric could be a solid stay-at-home type with some hitting ability.

Cooke would get destroyed as a Hab as he has no protection like in Pitt. I'd rather go with what we have which isn't much but have no choice. i don't want anymore stiffs signed to multi yr deals.

Cooke would cause alot of chaos. And we would need an enforcer.

Just posted a list of affordable FAs that I thought were worth a look. Don't think any of them would get multi-year contracts for more than 2 or 3 years.

Lapierre left Montreal because he wanted more ice-time.

Do you think he's likely to sign here with Plekanec, Briere, Desharnais, Eller and even Galchenyuk ahead of him as options at centre?

Lapierre left Montreal because he wanted more ice-time.

Do you think he's likely to sign here with Plekanec, Briere, Desharnais, Eller and even Galchenyuk ahead of him as options at centre?

Yes. Because the team isn't run by the same people that were there when he left.

Yes. Because the team isn't run by the same people that were there when he left.

But the role being offered to him would be just as reduced as what prompted him to request a trade...

Has he become more accepting of 4th line ice time?

But the role being offered to him would be just as reduced as what prompted him to request a trade...

Has he become more accepting of 4th line ice time?

Yes he has. In Vancouver, that was essentially his role and he handled it very maturely and did well (isn't a point machine, but still put up 10 points in 48 games last year and 19 in 82 the year before). He played 3rd/4th line in Vancouver. Plus, I think the prospect of playing with the likes of Prust and White, along with Moen and whoever the Habs might fetch for the bottom 6 would be tempting: Prust and White can fight, so he wouldn't have to do it as much, if at all, unlike when he was here last time. I'm not saying he would sign here 100%, but he would think about it hard for sure!

No thanks, you don't need that kind of player. The same thing you guys said about cooke applies to Lapierre. If your going after that kind of player it would be Hendricks who actually fights and stands up for his team mates.

I don't think MB gets any retreads. But he said he wanted to get bigger and signed Briere?

LeBrun just tweeted he expects Montreal to be quiet as they got their main target yesterday. Was Danny Briere really the main target of MB? Because if he has nothing else planned this is going to be a huge letdown of an off-season.

The highly questionable signing of Briere eats up cap space for this year and next. So you can forget about prominent UFA signings for the next two summers.

That said, a "boring" summer from MB will be unacceptable, because he has to acquire a top-6 defensive defenceman or risk a complete debacle next season. Plus his roster is now, thanks to Briere, unbalanced in terms of size and roles.

Unless MB is an idiot, look for a trade.

LeBrun just tweeted he expects Montreal to be quiet as they got their main target yesterday. Was Danny Briere really the main target of MB? Because if he has nothing else planned this is going to be a huge letdown of an off-season.

I think for most part he is done with free agency we have pretty much a full roster so might see a depth player and thats it. I see him getting more involved in the trade market once the dust settles and a few teams looking to fill holes via free agency still have those holes after losing out.

I wouldn't expect much else for a bit at least. We might see a signing today, whether it's a depth guy for the Habs or someone for Hamilton but it won't be significant. The next change of note will probably be via trade and it will probably take a bit of time until everyone sees who goes where for that to come together.

Guest Stogey24

We could of had two decent gritty forwards or even say.... Clarke Macarthur, for the price of Briere. This signing fits right into the Montreal mold. You guys are right about him being an upgrade to Ryder, but come on. This signing doesn't meet our needs. It's hard to believe that after MB watched our team crumble in playoffs and lose almost every physical battle, he would go out and sign an undersized over aged player. Now we can all pretty much foresee the future; the future being a trade. A trade in which is probably going to make us lose one of our top forwards. No one seems to care very much when Gionta's name is brought up in trade speculation. I do understand injuries are plaguing him, but he has still been at the top of the goal scoring list basically every season. It's sad to say but with the siging of Briere this definitely the end of either Gio or Pleky.

I'm really getting antsy about the amount of trade speculation involving Plekanec. Unless the return is stellar, trading Pleks to accommodate Desharnais and Briere is a firing offence as far as I'm concerned.

No it's not. If you trade Pleks for a power forward the team will be better. Pleks vanishes when the going gets tough. The crime would be keeping all of the smurfs and not doing anything.

No it's not. If you trade Pleks for a power forward the team will be better. Pleks vanishes when the going gets tough. The crime would be keeping all of the smurfs and not doing anything.

That would also be a crime.

I guess we disagree on Pleks. I see him as a real glue guy, one of our team's unsung MVPs. He does everything. Nevertheless, the graveyards are full of indispensable men, and as I said above, IF the return is stellar then we can live without him.