Lecavalier bought out...

TheDriveFor25

I would prefer a 4 year / $16M deal by the Habs. That's basically your Ryder replacement. And for god's sake, keep Plekanec!

Put Vinny on the wing with Desharnais and Pacioretty.

Either Vinny wants Montreal or he doesn't. No use entering a bidding war for the guy.

I would prefer a 4 year / $16M deal by the Habs. That's basically your Ryder replacement. And for god's sake, keep Plekanec!

Put Vinny on the wing with Desharnais and Pacioretty.

Either Vinny wants Montreal or he doesn't. No use entering a bidding war for the guy.

I agree, but...$4 mil? LOL. Be serious.

Word is he wants 5 x 5.

However he also met with Detroit (as opposed to every other team meeting with him) and Detroit made it pretty clear they'd prefer something in the two year range. Don't be surprised if Montreal offers 5 x 5 and he takes 5 x 2 in Detroit.

I won't be surprised, but I'll be irritated...mostly because the French press will still criticize the Habs for lack of Frenchness even though their beloved Vinny pissed in their faces.

The way Habs fans are acting about Fucale irritates me but that isn't a French media problem. Craig Button pretty much blew his brains out talking about Fucale. It was the "Luke Schenn Eraser" moment of the draft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_WrOzRj20M

Another example of the folly of draft day. Hardly any fans knows anything about the prospects involved. So we're hugely malleable to the supposedly "expert" opinions. Like when Price was drafted...20 seconds' worth of ignorant spewings by McGuire led to a veritable tsnuami of fan outrage against the pick. I remember a Columbus fan laughing at me ("what were your Habs thinking, not picking Brulé, hahahahaha"). Apart from the occasional informed fan such as Commandant and some others on this board, it's all basically nuts.

If my cousin Vinnie comes here, how many months before those same drooling French media moguls start the campaign to run him out of town for hot being Richard or Lafleur enough?

As for Vinnie vs DD? Total no-brainer even at the $5m price tag listed for Vinnie. The old man in a long shot. Some production is better than virtually none. Problem is, how do you get rid of DD?

*IF* Montreal acquires Vincent Lecavalier they do not have to trade DD immediately.

If you move him to the wing the team could make him look his very best. Keep DD at center and you're going to be cutting down his PP minutes while making him look weaker than he could be.

What I would want to see:

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gionta

Bourque - Lecavalier - Desharnais

Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher

Prust - White - Moen

Top line faces top competition as Plek and Gio are solid at it. Pacioretty will still get his shots in. Second line plays the lesser defending line with Lecavalier accustomed to having a small forward on his wing while Bourque digs in corners. Third line still plays lesser competition for the goal of creating a third offensive line.

By the trade deadline there should be some interested value in DD by then, who would probably have a lot of points racked up with a fair contract. At deadline you move DD and you let Gionta's contract expire. Both of these moves should open up spots. The team could also look forwards creating a real shut down line with Plekanec centering Prust and Bourque on the third line while you run Patches - Lecavalier - Gallagher and Galchenyuk, Eller and maybe a guy like Collberg or Kristo.

That all said... again don't think he's coming.

If my cousin Vinnie comes here, how many months before those same drooling French media moguls start the campaign to run him out of town for hot being Richard or Lafleur enough?

As much as we live in an instant gratification society now, he'll get a pass for quite a while. He needs to adapt to playing for a new team, he needs to adjust to living back in his home province, to the media, to being a local face of the franchise, etc. If he were to struggle early, those excuses would buy him quite a bit of goodwill.

*IF* Montreal acquires Vincent Lecavalier they do not have to trade DD immediately.

If you move him to the wing the team could make him look his very best. Keep DD at center and you're going to be cutting down his PP minutes while making him look weaker than he could be.

Prust - White - Moen

Top line faces top competition as Plek and Gio are solid at it. Pacioretty will still get his shots in. Second line plays the lesser defending line with Lecavalier accustomed to having a small forward on his wing while Bourque digs in corners. Third line still plays lesser competition for the goal of creating a third offensive line.

By the trade deadline there should be some interested value in DD by then, who would probably have a lot of points racked up with a fair contract. At deadline you move DD and you let Gionta's contract expire. Both of these moves should open up spots. The team could also look forwards creating a real shut down line with Plekanec centering Prust and Bourque on the third line while you run Patches - Lecavalier - Gallagher and Galchenyuk, Eller and maybe a guy like Collberg or Kristo.

I don't believe in Deharnais being a useful 2nd line winger, but I don't dislike this lineup at all...

I agree, but...$4 mil? LOL. Be serious.

I am. Vinny probably won't sign less than that. Considering that Rene Bourque makes $3.33M how is $4M for a top centre not worth it? We have cap room and you yourself keeps saying be damned with the cap!

Prust - White - Moen

I like this plan a lot. But alas, I agree - Vinny's not coming.

Another example of the folly of draft day. Hardly any fans knows anything about the prospects involved. So we're hugely malleable to the supposedly "expert" opinions. Like when Price was drafted...20 seconds' worth of ignorant spewings by McGuire led to a veritable tsnuami of fan outrage against the pick. I remember a Columbus fan laughing at me ("what were your Habs thinking, not picking Brulé, hahahahaha"). Apart from the occasional informed fan such as Commandant and some others on this board, it's all basically nuts.

I wonder how many posters on this board you intended to insult with this post. I guess that majority are nuts. :habslogo:

I wonder how many posters on this board you intended to insult with this post. I guess that majority are nuts. :habslogo:

No insult intended...I'm just saying relatively few fans have a bloody clue about 99% of the players discussed on draft day, apart from what guys like McGuire and Button declaim on TSN (which then gets treated as gospel). Even professional scouts are wrong a fair chunk of the time - yet the fan commentary fails to reflect the radical uncertainties of the process. It's much ado about nearly nothing.

I'm warmer with the idea of signing Vinny now than I was when I first heard he was being bought out. Even as a 60-70 point guy, he's still the type of player that will make his wingers better. The most important thing would be that it would take a lot of pressure of Pleks. We want him playing and offensive role, and Vinny would give us a good 2nd line. I'm still a big Deharnais fan, but he would most certainly be pushed onto the 3rd line, which might actually benefit him as he wouldn't be matched up against the other teams best players.

Pacioretty - Pleks - Gallagher

Bourque - Vinny - Gionta

Glachenyuk - Desharnais - Eller <-- (don't worry about anyone being waived out of the dot with this line)

Moen - White - Prust

That's 3 solid scoring lines right there.

The interest in Vinny is definitely huge though... I think for him to come to the Habs, it will be because he really wants to play here (other teams will offer better money, be more of a cup contender and/or be a more agreeable city to live in). Of course, all signs up to this point indicate that he never really wanted to play for the Habs...

Guest Stogey24

If Montreal signs Vinny we're looking pretty solid up front. Very true about Desharnais being on the third line and staying a little more low key. Eller is just starting to make a name for himself at centre, now is not the time to be moving him around.

Pac-Vinny-Galagher

Bourque-plek-Gio

Galchenyuk-Eller-DD

There will be a heavy weight brought in I'm sure for the fourth line. I think Moen is on his way out and with white being a healthy scratch so often last year, I have my doubts.

Apparently the Habs are negotiating heavily with Lecavalier and he's seriously considering Montreal. If he comes, one of Plex or DD will be traded with the former garnering far more interest (and a much larger potential return). If we do sign Lecavalier, I'd rather trade DD and keep Plex, to hell with the return! At some point you have to stop building to start tweaking for a Cup run. If *IF* Montreal really is all-in on Lecav, then you have to guess that they'll be making a serious run in the next two or three years. You need to have a guy like Plex, and not a few prospects who'll be NHL-ready in 4 years.

Just an opinion.

It's pretty interesting though that if Montreal gets Vinny, nobody seems to care about Galchenyuk becoming a center anymore. Funny how that works.

No, it means no one cares about Eller staying a centre.

We spent all of last season realizing that Eller and Galchenyuk play best down the middle. That's great, keep them wingers!

This is why I'm kind of meh on Lecavalier. I don't really care to sign anyone this summer. Would rather see Eller, Gallagher and Galchenyuk get top six minutes and PP time than add someone that moves any of them down the depth chart. Lecavalier had 32 points, 9 of them on the PP with a PP TOI/G of 3:03. Eller had 30 points, 5 on the PP with a PP TOI/G of 0:42. Are we really upgrading there?

Habs and Leafs apparently offering only 3-year deals. Dallas willing to offer 5. GO DALLAS...

...no wait...

Dallas sucks!

Feels more natural that way.

Habs and Leafs apparently offering only 3-year deals. Dallas willing to offer 5. GO DALLAS...

...no wait...

Dallas sucks!

=D

Guest Stogey24

what are you talking about? Speak for yourself. Eller is a big highly skilled centre who is starting to find his stride.

It's pretty interesting though that if Montreal gets Vinny, nobody seems to care about Galchenyuk becoming a center anymore. Funny how that works.

Not funny at all. Screw Vinny, screw DD, our C line has to be Galchenyuk, Eller and Plekanec ASAP.

...no wait...

Dallas sucks!

3 years makes sense since we all assume Lecavalier is damaged goods. I think 3 years @ $5M is the best Mtl should do. Would rather move along if Vinny doesn't have it in his heart to be here.