Lecavalier bought out...

TheDriveFor25

The logjam at C if we do get Vinny is partly make-believe. First, we should feel no rush to move Galy to C. He is still learning. Secondly, DD doesn't count - he is simply not in the same category as Pleks, Eller, or Vinny, and for the life of me I can't understand why his presence is perceived to be some sort of obstacle to us pursuing Lecavalier. We owe him nothing. Third, Pleks would make the best third-line C in the game. The Habs are built to roll three dangerous lines anyway, so it's not as though being the third-line C means a pure checking role. Fourth, Lecavalier has publicly said he's willing to play wing.

So I say, sign him and sort out the details later. 3 for 5 is a great deal in my books.

I don't believe he'll come here, though. I've seen this movie before with Briere - French Canadian star uses Habs to ratchet up his bargaining position, then buggers off to the highest bidder.

I don't believe he'll come here, though. I've seen this movie before with Briere - French Canadian star uses Habs to ratchet up his bargaining position, then buggers off to the highest bidder.

We have a scout right now that purposely used Montreal to get a bigger contract. So they can play for us that way someday ;)

Still don't get all the DD hate. He may have had some slow points last season, but he has proved to be a significant point-getter at the NHL level. As I said before, I would prefer him as a 3rd line center in order to distribute the offense over 3 lines, but I don't see Gally or Eller to be huge upgrades of DD at this point int heir careers.

Still don't get all the DD hate. He may have had some slow points last season, but he has proved to be a significant point-getter at the NHL level. As I said before, I would prefer him as a 3rd line center in order to distribute the offense over 3 lines, but I don't see Gally or Eller to be huge upgrades of DD at this point int heir careers.

Desharnais, like Ryder, are pretty much point getters and that's it. Which can be nice but I think we should strive for more in our top six.

Eller I'd say is better than DD at this point. DD rarely left the top six all season, had 28 points with significant PP TOI/G (2:53). Eller had less than a minute of PP TOI/G, 30 points in two less games and they were only two PPP apart? Yikes. Don't forget those games Eller played on the fourth line. I'd say right now he's our second best centerman. He isn't relying on any player like DD is (relying on Pacioretty). He really earned increased minutes next season and I worry this chase for Lecavalier will lead to Bergevin deciding to sign a different top six center instead of seeing he has one in Eller and another in the future in Galchenyuk.

Clearly the minority on this one, but I consider Galchenyuk to be our best forward, not in the future, but as soon a right now.

IMO, giving Galchenyuk DD's minutes would be, for the Montreal Canadien, a huge upgrade.

From Pierre LeBrun:

It is very possible, although not quite a guarantee, that Vincent Lecavalier will choose his next team by the end of the day Wednesday.

The UFA center, who is allowed to speak with teams earlier than other UFAs because his contract was bought out, has been deliberating with family where the best fit might be for him to continue this career.

The likes of the Dallas Stars, Detroit Red Wings, Montreal Canadiens, Toronto Maple Leafs, Boston Bruins, St. Louis Blues, Washington Capitals, Philadelphia Flyers, Anaheim Ducks, Vancouver Canucks and Calgary Flames are among the teams to have shown interest.

The decision for Lecavalier begins with Montreal. He has to decide whether he wants to go home and deal with both the perks and detriments of playing in his native town. And if he goes home, it’s not going to be for the same kind of money or term other clubs would have offered. If he’s a Hab, it’s more because he really, really wants to be one. Montreal definitely has interest in signing him, but it’s going to have to be on a reasonable deal that fits within its cap and payroll structure.

But no one should fault Lecavalier if he decides to avoid that situation; that’s his choice as a UFA.

Ah yes, Vinny in Boston. The ultimate betrayal! The only way the Vinny media crush will die.

Clearly the minority on this one, but I consider Galchenyuk to be our best forward, not in the future, but as soon a right now.

IMO, giving Galchenyuk DD's minutes would be, for the Montreal Canadien, a huge upgrade.

I think it's possible he could be our top scorer next season (taking a big step forward a la Seguin), but based on what we've seen I don't know how you could make that claim.

Our offense sure would look good with Vinny - he's WAY better than Ryder and we'd have someone who we could reasonably look to in clutch situations. But I can't help but feel that he's paying lip service to the Habs for the sake of his image in the province. I like hearing that Bergevin is trying not to break the bank - I feel like Gainey wouldn't have shown any restraint.

If Vinny really wants to play in Mtl, he'll do it at $4M/season since he's going to have to take a hometown discount. MB won't go upwards of $4M to get him. This is what Pierre Maguire and a few other personalties have said on TSN 690.

I think it's possible he could be our top scorer next season (taking a big step forward a la Seguin), but based on what we've seen I don't know how you could make that claim.

Creating and being involved in quality scoring chances. No one else does it better than him and whoever will be paired with him.

He showed flashes, but you're overlooking the long stretches of ineffectiveness. He would have had more than 27 points.

But I see you're using the future tense, and it could very well be that he'll round out next season. I have a feeling he'll hit the target more often with those lethal wristers.

He showed flashes, but you're overlooking the long stretches of ineffectiveness. He would have had more than 27 points.

But I see you're using the future tense, and it could very well be that he'll round out next season. I have a feeling he'll hit the target more often with those lethal wristers.

He received the KHL treatment from MT during the playoffs without any good reason.

I'm sure with 4-5 more minutes per game, his development will sky rocket.

Yeah, MT's player usage against the Sens really bothered me. Galchenyuk was all around the net but he barely sees the ice in the third (and still manages to get a chance, which doesn't earn him another shift). And then repeatedly putting Prust out when he's clearly injured. Really dampened my enthusiasm for his body of work over the whole year (although I guess it's impossible to not have gripes with the coaching, no matter what).

IF we add Vinny, I hope it doesn't mean another step down the ladder for Eller and Galchenyuk.

Pairing Lecavalier with Eller on the left and Chucky on the right would give Lars a 30 goal season easily.

Eller-Lecavalier-Galchenyuk

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher

Prust-Plex-Gionta

4th Line

If Vinny really wants to play in Mtl, he'll do it at $4M/season since he's going to have to take a hometown discount. MB won't go upwards of $4M to get him. This is what Pierre Maguire and a few other personalties have said on TSN 690.

Moreso the team is capping the contract at three years. I was convinced his location would be Detroit but they refused to give more than two.

I wonder how many posters on this board you intended to insult with this post. I guess that majority are nuts. :habslogo:

Hey at least you're not only "occasionally" informed.

Two ways to read that sentence, and i know CC meant it the good way but I thought it'd be funny to join your group of insulted posters.

I completely agree with CC. IF we can get our hands on Vinny (at a reasonable price) then as much as I like D.D., I say we get rid of him. We have enough smurfs up front.

Seriously, I think Chucky will be ready to take on the role of 2nd or 3rd line centre. The kid showed some promising signs last year and only averaged 12 minutes a game. Give him 15 minutes a game and watch him score!

Hey at least you're not only "occasionally" informed.

Two ways to read that sentence, and i know CC meant it the good way but I thought it'd be funny to join your group of insulted posters.

i just like stirring the pot once in a while to see if anyone's paying attention, by and large he's right.

I am sure this was already said, but the only way Lecavalier becomes a Hab, is if, he takes a home town discount to finish his career as a Hab..

I have been following it a lot on twitter and it states he wants to stay on the east coast..Also hear DET is out..

I think he is contemplating signing here for a cheaper deal..Just a hunch...