Lecavalier bought out...

TheDriveFor25

Brutal. For that money he should be in Montreal. The 5 years sucks but ensures he retires a Hab. Marc B dropped the ball here. A chance to bring in a total upgrade on the roster and he fails. The Habs will never win the cup with DD and Plex as a top 2.

Brutal. For that money he should be in Montreal. The 5 years sucks but ensures he retires a Hab. Marc B dropped the ball here. A chance to bring in a total upgrade on the roster and he fails. The Habs will never win the cup with DD and Plex as a top 2.

*sigh* And it's already starting...

Bergevin had interest. Vinny chose not to sign in Montreal, not the other way around.

I don't think the plan is to win the cup next year so talking about not winning with pleks and dd is probably not an issue. Galchenyuk will be our top centre when we win. We are 2-3 years away from that and our young d maturing. When you look at it that way, Vinnie would be well in decline when we have the best shot at winning. I always thought chasing Vinnie was a marketing move, not a hockey move.

Saying all that, who's to say MB didnt offer him a similar or better deal and Vinnie just didn't want to be here? It's a bit harsh to say MB dropped the ball without knowing the facts.

From the reports it looks like Bergevin wouldn't give him 5 years, holding firm at 3. If that is why Lecavalier is not a Hab then Bergevin failed.

Best news of the day by a long shot. We have a GM who held firm and is building the team properly as opposed to the GM in Philly who doesn't have any clue what a plan is: Flyers need defence and goaltending, so managed to secure an aging forward with a full no movement clause. We need to trade for Philly's first rounder so we can enjoy another lottery pick.

Guest Stogey24

From the reports it looks like Bergevin wouldn't give him 5 years, holding firm at 3. If that is why Lecavalier is not a Hab then Bergevin failed.

You've gotta be kidding me.

I don't think the plan is to win the cup next year so talking about not winning with pleks and dd is probably not an issue. Galchenyuk will be our top centre when we win. We are 2-3 years away from that and our young d maturing. When you look at it that way, Vinnie would be well in decline when we have the best shot at winning. I always thought chasing Vinnie was a marketing move, not a hockey move.

Saying all that, who's to say MB didnt offer him a similar or better deal and Vinnie just didn't want to be here? It's a bit harsh to say MB dropped the ball without knowing the facts.

With Subbam, hopefully Price, a few young guns... The goal should be WIN NOW. Lecavalier as a 1 and Pleks as a 2 gives us a way better shot. You don't win in 2 or 3 years...

With Subbam, hopefully Price, a few young guns... The goal should be WIN NOW. Lecavalier as a 1 and Pleks as a 2 gives us a way better shot. You don't win in 2 or 3 years...

Sure, the goal is to win every year, but realistiically that is a long shot (and what we've tried and failed at over the last 10 years) I think MB is targeting when we have the best window of winning and building towards that. Anyone who dosnt fit that model either via dollars or term is out.

Personally Im fine with that.

This discussion can now be ended. Lecavalier is a Flyer, no more what ifs or coulda or woulda. It is over. Montreal moves on with Bergervin's plan. I am fine with the scenario. Elvis has also left the building.

This discussion can now be ended. Lecavalier is a Flyer, no more what ifs or coulda or woulda. It is over. Montreal moves on with Bergervin's plan. I am fine with the scenario. Elvis has also left the building.

agree, now, as long as dont try and sign Briere.

agree, now, as long as dont try and sign Briere.

From Pierre Lebrun:

"Montreal Canadiens has already shown interest in Daniel Briere and now I think they'll circle back on that front with the UFA forward"

Ya I am happy that the Habs avoided him. Too many years for an aging forward. I like a target of Ryan Clowe, or Nathan Horton (though probably too expensive) better. We are set of center for years to come. We need a boost on the RW and the D. Thats what we should be targeting.

Ya I am happy that the Habs avoided him. Too many years for an aging forward. I like a target of Ryan Clowe, or Nathan Horton (though probably too expensive) better. We are set of center for years to come. We need a boost on the RW and the D. Thats what we should be targeting.

Set at centre? With who? Galchenyuk and Eller are great, but they also played their best hockey together. DD and Pleks?i expect MB has something up his sleeve... Because the status quo isn't going to cut it. Will we really be satisfied with a first round exit?

Realistically, I think anyone that follows the Habs ranks Eller and Galchenyuk above DD at C. Different story.

Set at centre? With who? Galchenyuk and Eller are great, but they also played their best hockey together. DD and Pleks?i expect MB has something up his sleeve... Because the status quo isn't going to cut it. Will we really be satisfied with a first round exit?

Galchenyuk and Eller weren't receiving any PP time last season. Gallagher and Galchenyuk will be one season better. Play them in the top six and give them more minutes against tougher competition.

We're still building. I say let the youngsters have more time instead of throwing money at players.

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher

Bourque - Eller - Gionta

Prust - Galchenyuk - Desharnais

Moen - White - UFA/Prospect

Galchenyuk continues to develop at center, DD prepares for new life as a winger, Eller gets top six minutes, Plek gets the best wingers. If you want more fire power in the top six, flip Galchenyuk and Bourque and move DD back to center.

From Pierre Lebrun:

"Montreal Canadiens has already shown interest in Daniel Briere and now I think they'll circle back on that front with the UFA forward"

I heard the same from Dreger tonight on TSN, he's speculating the one or two year team (likely one) would be more desirable.