TSN 690 Lives On!

gottiyo

I'm not sure if this post belongs here but I think that all Habs fans should know that TSN 690 will continue for at least the next 7 years. As part of the CRTC's decision approving the BCE-Astral Media deal, they granted an exemption to BCE. I'd like to think that the petitions and community support played a large role in convincing the CRTC. To clarify, the CRTC, for competition and market saturation purposes, has a rule that allows each owner/operator a maximum of 3 radio stations in any given market (in each of English and French). The merger would have given BCE 4 English stations, of which TSN 690 is by far the least profitable (it is actually losing money). Thus, in order to satisfy the regulation, BCE had proposed turning CKGM into a French all-sports radio station. The Montreal English community and many fans across the country and the world put up a fight via petitions, letters and testimony in front of the CRTC.

Thankfully, the station has been saved for at least the next 7 years. All Habs fans can now continue to stream all Canadiens games on-line and in English.

Now let's go win a cup! :halm:

CKGM Montréal

Finally, the CRTC is allowing BCE to operate four English-language radio stations in the Montreal market, including CKGM. Given the strong support expressed by Montreal’s English-language minority community for this station, BCE will have to maintain its current sports format for at least seven years. This decision constitutes a positive measure that will ensure the needs of the community are well served.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/com100/2013/r130627.htm#.UcypuuTkuQ0

To the mods: If this belongs in another forum area please let me know.

• Upvote 1

Excellent. During the season, I'm a regular listener to their podcasts the day after they air. Hopefully now that they know they're sticking around they'll be better about putting content online regularly. i.e. Putting the Forum Show up every day and not just once in a while.

I don't listen to the station all that often but it's certainly good news to see the station sticking around.

Its good when you can get it. They need a relay on the west side of Toronto so it doesnot just become a default for 680.

Its good when you can get it. They need a relay on the west side of Toronto so it doesnot just become a default for 680.

I'm too far north of Toronto to get it on the radio (heck, I struggle getting Hamilton feeds on the actual radio), I only listen online, usually when there's a specific guest coming on or for coverage of pressers, preseason games, etc.

I'm too far north of Toronto to get it on the radio (heck, I struggle getting Hamilton feeds on the actual radio), I only listen online, usually when there's a specific guest coming on or for coverage of pressers, preseason games, etc.

I would love for them to have a relay station in Kitchner, and it might help you out as well. I rarely get Hamilton but I believe they are going to 900 am this year, maybe I will luck out.