2013 Official Draft Day Thread

dlbalr

If this guy can be a third liner, I will be happy. College hockey guy, so we will see him in 5 years, if at all.

College hockey is a bigger threat to draft than KHL-players... :P

If this guy can be a third liner, I will be happy. College hockey guy, so we will see him in 5 years, if at all.

Yeah, and that's why all the learned effusions from the commetariat about how this "addresses our need for size at FW" make little sense. By the time this kid plays - if he ever does - the team will look a lot different. I hope they've found a beast who can chip in with some offence, but at face value I'm uneasy. It puts me in mind of picks like Ward and Lindsay Vallis.

I never dreamed Fucale would be available, and can't believe we didn't take him. What happened to the best available player motto?

I don't hate the pick, actually would have liked to have snagged him early second though.

Dont hate the pick but think it came too early. I think we could of held off till the second round and still got this guy with our early second round picks.

Maybe, but you don't know what other teams are thinking. I believe the scouts & GM's talk a lot during the draft weekend to gauge who may be picking whom. It's very possible another team had him listed late in the first round or very early in the 2nd. While I hoped the Habs would go with a more skilled forward I'm not unhappy about them taking McCarron. Since they have Habs have #34 & 36, they still have a decent chance at drafting Erne or Zykov, guys I'd like to see them pick.

I'm happy with the pick.. Needed a monster, looks like we got one. Has lots of time to develop and with the right direction and coaching we could have a beast. Excited for our next picks!

Yeah, and that's why all the learned effusions from the commetariat about how this "addresses our need for size at FW" make little sense. By the time this kid plays - if he ever does - the team will look a lot different. I hope they've found a beast who can chip in with some offence, but at face value I'm uneasy. It puts me in mind of picks like Ward and Lindsay Vallis.

It reminds me a lot of how Gainey drafted centremen like crazy. None of which are on the team... White maybe?

Wow Fucale! A clutch goalie, but I'm a bit surprised. Maybe the Habs want someone challenging Price soon.

Wow. An eerie feeling to see the Habs draft the kid who just might end up replacing Price. You have to LOVE the buzz around this kid.

Maybe, but you don't know what other teams are thinking. I believe the scouts & GM's talk a lot during the draft weekend to gauge who may be picking whom. It's very possible another team had him listed late in the first round or very early in the 2nd. While I hoped the Habs would go with a more skilled forward I'm not unhappy about them taking McCarron. Since they have Habs have #34 & 36, they still have a decent chance at drafting Erne or Zykov, guys I'd like to see them pick.

Yeah, I think the Habs knew Fucale wasn't gonna go before they got to him and so bided their time.

It reminds me a lot of how Gainey drafted centremen like crazy. None of which are on the team... White maybe?

Indeed. Except under certain circumstances, I believe in BPA, not trying to plug holes. Oh, well, it's all a crapshoot anyway. But I sure would love us to get Subban. From a team-building viewpoint that could be gold.

Fucale won't be ready for a while.

That's what I mean about "eerie." It seems like yesterday that the Habs drafted Price. He's still only 25, but we can forsee a situation where his contract approaches expiration and the Habs have Fucale groomed to take over. It's like a weird, telescopic glimpse into a possible future.