2013 Official Draft Day Thread

dlbalr

That's what I mean about "eerie." It seems like yesterday that the Habs drafted Price. He's still only 25, but we can forsee a situation where his contract approaches expiration and the Habs have Fucale groomed to take over. It's like a weird, telescopic glimpse into a possible future.

Don't let Craig Button's cheerleading of him distract you. I'm quite happy with the pick but it's ridiculous that Montreal fills a need in drafting a goalie and already people are ready to buy his sweater and anoint him number one. Who knows how he progresses?

Turns out Edmonton wanting him badly and when Montreal took him, they trading the pick with LA.

Pick, shmick. Fucale is looking like a a major asset. Great example, and maybe even perfect example.. Luongo Schnieder. Pretty good investment in a productive 26th pick getting them Horvat down the road.

Don't let Craig Button's cheerleading of him distract you. I'm quite happy with the pick but it's ridiculous that Montreal fills a need in drafting a goalie and already people are ready to buy his sweater and anoint him number one. Who knows how he progresses?

Turns out Edmonton wanting him badly and when Montreal took him, they trading the pick with LA.

I think it's just what happens when you pick a G fairly high in the drafting order. A pick at any other position carries no necessary implications for any individual player on your roster. But if Fucale projects to be a #1 at some point, then there is only one player he can supplant. Hence the eerie quality I referred to.

But nihiliz is right. That's why BPA should be the default position...if the pick matures as hoped, you've got a great asset no matter what your ultimate personnel decision is.

Re: Edmonton, they're turning into the new Philadelphia in the futility of their search for a goalie :lol:

A thought while I get 5 minutes to breathe before the next pick to write about: I'd have been content with Fucale at 25 (I know I'd be in the minority there) and could have lived with McCarron at 36 (I still would have said it was a bit early but it'd be understandable). I had no qualms with De la Rose either. So although McCarron at 25 was a bit disappointing for me, I'm happy in general with the three picks on the whole. Funny how that works sometimes.

I smells me some Subban coming up...

Collberg, now Fucale.. I like this trend. :halm:

Edit: or...not.

A thought while I get 5 minutes to breathe before the next pick to write about: I'd have been content with Fucale at 25 (I know I'd be in the minority there) and could have lived with McCarron at 36 (I still would have said it was a bit early but it'd be understandable). I had no qualms with De la Rose either. So although McCarron at 25 was a bit disappointing for me, I'm happy in general with the three picks on the whole. Funny how that works sometimes.

True. Needs did dictate instead of BPA but it worked out.

Still not as bad as Dylan McIlrath.

Third pick in the second draft: Artturi Lehkonen. Interesting choice. Been a while since we took a Fin.

I'm not too crazy about this pick. One guide has him listed as 5'10' and 152 lbs! Yes, he has speed and acceleration to burn, and is a decent shooter, but his game may not translate to the NHL. Considering two players from the QMJHL were picked immediately after Lehkonen [Marc Olivier Roy and William Carrier], both of which were similar offensive talents, I really question this selection. Especially since Carrier is a power forward at 6'1" and 198 pounds with good skating ability, I wonder why the Habs went overseas with this pick.

6'2 210lbs, played for Niagara ice dogs I read on another thread. Did play back up goalie in a game. Hopefully he is a goon

It's a great story: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/ohl-58-minutes-fame-erie-otters-centre-connor-024315418.html

Watched Crisp play here in the Soo.. Big mean guy. Has a few fights on hockeyfights.com.. Scored 22 goals as well last season.