2013 Official Draft Day Thread

dlbalr

Alright, reactionary report card time:

McCarron: C - I trust that the Habs did their homework and knew that he wouldn't slip to 34. Still, I can't help but wonder if they could've dealt down a few spots as this one really caught everyone by surprise. If he pans out though, he has the chance to be a force so I can't hate the pick.

De la Rose: B - I don't mind a safe pick after that much of a risk. He looks like he'll be a solid 3rd liner at worst with good size that can play a variety of roles. The name's a nice bonus too.

Fucale: A+ - I'd have taken him at 25, I was absolutely thrilled and stunned that he was there at 36 and that the Habs got him. Finally, a legit #1 goalie prospect and with Price in the fold, he should be afforded the chance to develop at his own pace.

Lehkonen: B - I don't think the 5'9 that he's listed by CSB at is legit, he looks closer to 5'11 which isn't bad. He has 1st round skill and already is playing in a pro league and playing very well. He slipped due to his size and the Habs did well to pounce here.

Crisp: D+ - This is the only 'huh?' moment of the draft. His ceiling looks to be that of a fourth liner and given that he's a re-entry, I have to think he'd have been there a little later. It fills a need (a tough guy with some skill) but this was a reach.

Andrighetto: B - Lots of offensive skill and is of age to play in the AHL right away. I can't argue with that. Another risky pick though as he's a top six or bust player. Hamilton could really use some help, hopefully they can break his NLA contract and get him in the AHL.

Reway: B - I'd be a bit happier had they not picked a particularly small player the selection before but like Andrighetto and Lehkonen, his overall skills are better than you'd typically expect at this selection.

Gregoire: B+ - Versatile forward that plays hard at both ends of the rink, has a nose for the net, and is capable of dropping the gloves. His upside is limited but he could be an effective role player.

Overall: B - I was more excited about last years' draft class than this one although I think the Habs should get at least two quality NHL'ers out of this group; three is a possibility as well. If that happens, this will be another solid draft class for the Canadiens.

And after spending nearly 5 straight hours on the site on our coverage, I'm calling it a night. I have a few more things that can be added to my three articles but I'll do those tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

I am kind of disappointed in today's haul... and I was certainly expecting more trades than moving a 7th for a 7th.

I'm the opposite. I'm quite happy.

McCarron is a boom or bust. I like his attitude, he's got a bit of a cockiness to him which I enjoy. He's going to get bigger I bet. In my mind he could be the forward version of Jarred Tinordi. Grandmother is French Canadian so people can't say this was a pure American ;)

De La Rose has a lot of great skill. Centerman I could see moving to the wing. Love his tools and love his projections.

Fucale has starter potential. I however am reserved about it since the Mooseheads were so damn good all around.

Artturi Lehkonen when scoring goals will do the hand signal that he wants the World Title. Favourite pick just for that. Similar to last year, Montreal pounced on players who got forgotten about.

Crisp we probably could have taken in the seventh. An overager with the potential to be a goon. That said, he's all about character. He took the humiliation playing net as a reserve in stride and people say he's a hard worker and a great locker guy. He's probably going to be our Glatt (from Goon).

Sven Andrighetto I don't know too much about but he seems to have a bit of skill so hey that doesn't hurt.

Martin Reway is a left winger and we need left wingers.

Jeremy Gregoire was a late boom or bust kind of pick. He dropped in the draft due to his skating so if he can improve that he has the skills to make it.

Solid draft in my mind. It was all about filling holes.

I remember people doing the "Wha'???" when Patches was drafted, what was it?, 23 or 27 OA or something like that. Big guy who wasn't the greatest skater at the time and we could have done better and whine bitch moan, oh Shamoo he's awesome and a cornerstone of the club and I knew he was going to be that good and better!

So, perhaps give it some time. ;-)

I hope Im proved wrong, but I can't help feeling dissapointed by this draft. I thought project guys should be picked in round 3 or later, not 1st round. I'm glad we got our goalie depth but other than that, not planning parade routes anytime soon. As I said at the start, hopefully Im proved wrong.

I hope Im proved wrong, but I can't help feeling dissapointed by this draft. I thought project guys should be picked in round 3 or later, not 1st round. I'm glad we got our goalie depth but other than that, not planning parade routes anytime soon. As I said at the start, hopefully Im proved wrong.

yah i'm not a big fan of the first round pick but the 2nd round picks were home runs imo

Hard to get too excited about this draft - no one here will be helping out the Habs for at least a couple of years. It kind of looked like a struggle between Bergevin (big guys) and Timmins (small skilled guys). Hopefully, in a few years, Fucale lives up to some of the hype that been said about him and McCarron is beating up Bruins!

Do any of you guys still believe they take the BPA at any time? Timmins takes whomever tickles his fancy under the guise of BPA. I am underwhelmed. I get that Timmins is a lot smarter than the rest of us, at least when it comes to player personnel, but I don't like his lovefest for smaller players. I was always by far the smallest kid on the block. I don't want my beloved Canadiens to go anywhere near there.

with McCarron I got the feeling that we had a guy in mind (Mabye Gauthier) but he was taken just before we could get to him, so Timmins went with a higher risk 2nd choice.

with McCarron I got the feeling that we had a guy in mind (Mabye Gauthier) but he was taken just before we could get to him, so Timmins went with a higher risk 2nd choice.

If you take out the goalie situational pick, I believe the success of this draft falls upon McCarrons success. I love his size but does he have the skill set. I question the selection at 25, seems like a bit of a gamble. Hopefully Timmins hits a home run here.

Depends on what you think McCarron will be. If you think he'll be the next Lucic you'll probably be disappointed.

If you think he'll be a really good 3rd liner, possible 2nd line winger then you'll be fine. He was good on the US team, he isn't a bad skater, US takes moblie players alot.

I would actually prefer he go to London, he'll be better off i think, he can't fight and play as physical in the NCAA, they don't allow it.

I thought there were 2 drafted prospects that could play in the AHL this season...?

There were two re-entries in the draft, Crisp and Andrighetto, only the latter is old enough to play there. Now, any of McCarron, De la Rose, or Lehkonen could technically be eligible to play in Hamilton since they're not subjected to the same age rules that CHL'ers are but I don't see that happening.

Artturi Lehkonen is a very interesting pick the more I look into him.

First, he's a bit taller than people first believed. He ranks around 5'11" not 5'9" after a growth spurt. That's why his weight is so low, he hasn't put weight on his new height yet.

Second, Finnish fans were calling him the next Teemu Selanne (or a Selanne type player) early in the year but a better comparison is Parise. There was a lot of hype on him but then he took two concussions in a single season. You can thank a Ruutu for that. Why all the concussions? Lehkonen is fearless. There's that character that Montreal was looking for. He's more than willing to be 159lbs and go straight into the danger zone to get a puck. He tries to absorb every hit and isn't afraid of anyone. That's what gets him rocked. If he puts on some weight he could be able to take the hits better, but it's also possible he gets rocked in the NHL and never plays again. It's a bit of a gamble but a great gamble to take because his skill profile alone? He should have been a Top 30 pick.

If you take out the goalie situational pick, I believe the success of this draft falls upon McCarrons success. I love his size but does he have the skill set. I question the selection at 25, seems like a bit of a gamble. Hopefully Timmins hits a home run here.

For all that we pour heartfelt reactions into draft day, I've seen enough of these come and go to know that there is a HUGE discrepancy between what happens at the draft and what actually plays out in terms of development. If we get 2-3 quality NHLers out of the 2013 draft, then it's basically a success - doesn't matter whether McCarron is boom or bust (for God's sake, he's a 25th-overall pick, nothing special). And the players who make it could be guys from down in the nether regions of the draft; they could even be undrafted. Really, what we should be looking at as fans is not draft day per se, but a team's overall patterns in terms of successfully snagging quality talent over a period of years. http://awinninghabit.com/2013/06/30/a-look-at-trevor-timmins-record-at-helm-of-montreal-canadiens-draft/#comments

The rumours that have been floating around is that Montreal was going to swap picks with Philadelphia. That would allow them to take Bo Horvat at 11th Overall and allow Philly to take Morin at 25th overall (or that was their goal). But Vancouver made the Schneider swap and picked up Horvat. Kinda revenge for us taking Tinordi when they had a Tinordi sweater prepared. I think the original plan was to take McCarron in the second round with the De La Rose pick but once the trade didn't go down, Montreal decided to take McCarron in the first and add an available De La Rose. Of course, Vancouver rubbed salt in by taking Subban when we planned to so we'll have to mess them over in next years draft ;)

So, Michael won, but what about the others ?

If you haven't done so already, be sure to enter our annual draft pool. Pick the first round plus Montreal's three selections in the second: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3115

For all that we pour heartfelt reactions into draft day, I've seen enough of these come and go to know that there is a HUGE discrepancy between what happens at the draft and what actually plays out in terms of development. If we get 2-3 quality NHLers out of the 2013 draft, then it's basically a success - doesn't matter whether McCarron is boom or bust (for God's sake, he's a 25th-overall pick, nothing special). And the players who make it could be guys from down in the nether regions of the draft; they could even be undrafted. Really, what we should be looking at as fans is not draft day per se, but a team's overall patterns in terms of successfully snagging quality talent over a period of years. http://awinninghabit.com/2013/06/30/a-look-at-trevor-timmins-record-at-helm-of-montreal-canadiens-draft/#comments

I agree the draft is more hyph than mustard and that realitively few make it through to be substantial NHL players. I would have preferred a safer pick as our top pick even at 25. Do your gambling with the rest of the picks.

So, Michael won, but what about the others ?

That's a good question - I wasn't the one who did the scoring for this so I don't have the final tallies (I have the ballots but the scoring is in another file). I'd guess you were right up there though as at quick glance, I think you got 6 picks right.