2013 Official Draft Day Thread

dlbalr

From what I've heard he wanted Bo Horvat and had a move in place to swap with Philly. Others have heard he wanted Morin but Morin was taken too early where Philly took him.

And people should watch the video Joe posted. Saw it yesterday. His work around the boards is absolutely fantastic and he doesn't look too slow at all. Guys drop when he hits them too. Of course it's only one game. Cam Fowler looked like a great defensive defenceman when he played for Team USA in the juniors and we all know that's not the case.

The name of Lazar and Horvat were heard as well before the draft even started. Could be one of them.

Jacob de la Rose taken 11th overall in the CHL import draft by Windsor.

Windsor doesn't typically waste their picks on longshots to come over. I think they may have info that de la Rose could play in the CHL next year.

Windsor doesn't typically waste their picks on longshots to come over. I think they may have info that de la Rose could play in the CHL next year.

I'd be quite happy to see de la Rose on Windsor. Gives me another Spitfire to like instead of hate. If he gets to play with Josh Ho-Sang he's going to be in a good situation, that kid is fantastic.

One of the Montreal reporters thinks even if he's not coming over this year, he's likely to for 2013-14.

I'd be quite happy to see de la Rose on Windsor. Gives me another Spitfire to like instead of hate. If he gets to play with Josh Ho-Sang he's going to be in a good situation, that kid is fantastic.

They could stick him with Vail too and keep the Hab prospects together.

Artturi Lehkonen was selected by Kootenay of the WHL in Round 2 of the import draft. Lars Eller's younger brother Mads was picked late in the first round by Edmonton.

And if anyone cares, a total of one import goalie was selected (the moratorium on drafting import goalies comes into play next year).

It seems Timmins really went away from BPA and took McCarron and Crisp strictly on size and both are more likely to be 2 bust picks.

When a more skilled, Klimchuk, Zykov, Erne or Compher seemed more the 1st round type.

And instead of Crisp at 71st, a big Kujawinski or Hayden or even 6'1" Buchnevich seemed a much more logical pick.

Maybe McCarron really is more than just a 6'6" version of Tim Conboy or Ian Shultz?

Maybe McCarron really is more than just a 6'6" version of Tim Conboy or Ian Shultz?

I think it's safe to say that had management/Timmins thought McCarron is would turn out to be a player like that, they'd have stayed away or at least waited until way later to pick him. You never go into a 1st round pick shooting for a fringe 4th liner.

I think it's safe to say that had management/Timmins thought McCarron is would turn out to be a player like that, they'd have stayed away or at least waited until way later to pick him. You never go into a 1st round pick shooting for a fringe 4th liner.

But it just seems to me, that Timmins may of caved to Bergevin's demand for size/grit, more to appease the media/fanbase than anything else. So i am just guessing that Timmins if left alone with his staff, wouldnt of touched a goon in 1st round.

But maybe he can be a Brian Boyle type which would be OK (of course not as a 1st rounder but..) and we can just hope he isnt a John Scott.

I guess is a swing for the fences pick and given track record, Timmins deserves benefit of doubt.

And overall this year's haul is still (on paper) in top 10 and i agree with your B rating.

Still hard to believe Columbus-Flames-Buffalo all passed on Fucale with first 3 picks?

Still hard to believe Columbus-Flames-Buffalo all passed on Fucale with first 3 picks?

Columbus went with two goalies relatively high last year in Dansk (31st) and Korpisalo (62nd). Buffalo has Enroth and now Matt Hackett, a pretty good one-two punch in the future so they probably didn't need him either. Bergevin noted they had to assess whether or not they thought Buffalo would want him - had they figured so, Fucale would have been picked at 34 from the sounds of it. As for Calgary, Fucale made sense at 22 and 28 and that's why I was so stunned to see him available to the Habs. However, they must have hopes that either Ramo or Berra can pan out as a legit goalie - they didn't take a goalie with any of their picks which is puzzling.

Columbus went with two goalies relatively high last year in Dansk (31st) and Korpisalo (62nd). Buffalo has Enroth and now Matt Hackett, a pretty good one-two punch in the future so they probably didn't need him either. Bergevin noted they had to assess whether or not they thought Buffalo would want him - had they figured so, Fucale would have been picked at 34 from the sounds of it. As for Calgary, Fucale made sense at 22 and 28 and that's why I was so stunned to see him available to the Habs. However, they must have hopes that either Ramo or Berra can pan out as a legit goalie - they didn't take a goalie with any of their picks which is puzzling.

Maybe they are counting on Broissoit too?

Maybe they are counting on Broissoit too?

In the short-term, probably. I'm not sold on him as a prospect though, I can't see him being an NHL goalie. But you're right, he's someone the Flames have as well.

According to Twitter, Mike McCarron chose to goto the London Knights. I'm not as happy with this decision as I thought I'd be. I think Andy Murray would have given him a lot more personal time in his development.

Knights aren't just any OHL team of course. Hunters have been amazing in London and I'm sure will do just as good or better job with him.

2 Great organizations, i don't think there was a wrong choice.

Knights aren't just any OHL team of course. Hunters have been amazing in London and I'm sure will do just as good or better job with him.

2 Great organizations, i don't think there was a wrong choice.

You're probably right, I was just hoping to see Andy Murray with him. The guy is a die hard Habs fan and would have done anything for him.

That's great news. Tired of having players locked up in College for years. I understand that having a higher education is great, but when you project to make at least 6 figures as a pro-athlete, nuts to that!

There are benefits to having some college prospects. These are the prospects that have to be signed within two years (since they're CHL'ers or Euros drafted before this year):

McCarron (if he goes to the OHL)

De la Rose (if he goes to the OHL)

Fucale

Lehkonen (if he goes to the WHL - I doubt he will though, he's probably a 4 year guy)

Crisp

Andrighetto

Reway

Gregoire

Thrower

Vail

Nystrom

Bennett

Cichy (probably let go)

Walsh (probably let go)

Add to that the likes of Collberg, Bozon, and Hudon who would have fallen within that range had they not already signed. Even if a couple of guys that aren't already marked as likely to be let go don't sign, that's still a dozen contracts within a two year span for rookies, that's a bit too many (especially since there will be others still on their ELC's, either junior guys starting this year or any older players on shorter-term ones). That's where having the college route is ideal, you can space out some picks. Obviously with your better prospects, you want whatever is best for their development but you do need some 3-4 year prospects mixed in as well and that's where the college route gets underrated a lot of the time.

Now, the report on McCarron came from someone with a spotty track record. A local London reporter is reporting that a decision has not yet been made:

#LondonKnights #MikeMcCarron, Montreal's first round pick Just got off the telephone with Mike's dad and he says no decision until later

https://twitter.com/MoDaCoatLFPress/status/354645054255661058

He did follow up that tweet with a note that the decision is expected tomorrow. From his twitter feed, I get the sense he thinks it's London but it's not done yet.

Guest Stogey24

There are benefits to having some college prospects. These are the prospects that have to be signed within two years (since they're CHL'ers or Euros drafted before this year):

McCarron (if he goes to the OHL)

De la Rose (if he goes to the OHL)

Fucale

Lehkonen (if he goes to the WHL - I doubt he will though, he's probably a 4 year guy)

Crisp

Andrighetto

Reway

Gregoire

Thrower

Vail

Nystrom

Bennett

Cichy (probably let go)

Walsh (probably let go)

Add to that the likes of Collberg, Bozon, and Hudon who would have fallen within that range had they not already signed. Even if a couple of guys that aren't already marked as likely to be let go don't sign, that's still a dozen contracts within a two year span for rookies, that's a bit too many (especially since there will be others still on their ELC's, either junior guys starting this year or any older players on shorter-term ones). That's where having the college route is ideal, you can space out some picks. Obviously with your better prospects, you want whatever is best for their development but you do need some 3-4 year prospects mixed in as well and that's where the college route gets underrated a lot of the time.

Now, the report on McCarron came from someone with a spotty track record. A local London reporter is reporting that a decision has not yet been made:

https://twitter.com/MoDaCoatLFPress/status/354645054255661058

He did follow up that tweet with a note that the decision is expected tomorrow. From his twitter feed, I get the sense he thinks it's London but it's not done yet.

I'm from London and had a bunch of buddies play for the Knights. I think it's the top organization in the O' for development. Brand new arena and sell out crowd every night doesn't hurt either!