2013 Official Draft Day Thread

dlbalr

It's interesting to see which way would be better for McCarron.

I read something saying if he would go to college he would be more likely to learn skill and skating since college isn't nearly as physical as the OHL.

The article stated if he chose London, alot of players would challenge him to fight alot, therefore spending alot of time on the box.

I'm confident the Hunters if he goes to London will have him ready. The same if he attends college, i think Murray is a good coach.

I read something saying if he would go to college he would be more likely to learn skill and skating since college isn't nearly as physical as the OHL.

The article stated if he chose London, alot of players would challenge him to fight alot, therefore spending alot of time on the box.

I'm confident the Hunters if he goes to London will have him ready. The same if he attends college, i think Murray is a good coach.

They may challenge him to fight but he'll have to learn to pick his spots. The OHL has a 10 fight max (exceptions are when a player is instigated upon) before they get suspended for fighting.

Guest Stogey24

If you want to be a physical player, you better be able to drop the gloves once and a while. I think it comes hand and hand. I know, Emelin doesn't drop the gloves a lot, but I feel if fighting is in your arsenal. The amount of respect you get on the ice doubles.

If you want to be a physical player, you better be able to drop the gloves once and a while. I think it comes hand and hand. I know, Emelin doesn't drop the gloves a lot, but I feel if fighting is in your arsenal. The amount of respect you get on the ice doubles.

I don't want respect. I just want to win. Put a Claude Lemieux on my roster any day.

I don't want respect. I just want to win. Put a Claude Lemieux on my roster any day.

you wouldnt want respect? odd to say isnt it? But yes the Habs do lack a player who really gets under the skin of other teams.

Guest Stogey24

I hear ya. I'm just saying if McCarron can scrap on top of being a physical player. He becomes even more beneficial to the team. Look at Hal Gill. Prime example of a huge guy who can't fight. He's not fearsome. I bet if he didn't throw pillows teams would look at him a lot differently.

you wouldnt want respect? odd to say isnt it?

When I played hockey I was the guy who people tried to get in fights with after the game but still wore a letter. Maybe I'm not the right guy to ask if that's an odd thing to say ;)

Also, the concept of respect is completely bizarre in modern society. There's so many holes in it. It really boils down to, "I have no idea how players in the past handled themselves but I'm going to assume it was like Chris Benoit, bottling their emotions and making everyone pay their dues until they explode in their 40s." Those seem to be the guys everyone respects.

I've always had more respect and support for the Patrick Roy's and Claude Lemieux's that only care about winning than the Wendel Clark's and Don Cherry's who bark about respect and never win anything. I don't watch hockey for respect.

you wouldnt want respect? odd to say isnt it? But yes the Habs do lack a player who really gets under the skin of other teams.

May I suggest that we already have P.K. Subban. He even gets under the skin of other teams fans'... !!!!!

When I played hockey I was the guy who people tried to get in fights with after the game but still wore a letter. Maybe I'm not the right guy to ask if that's an odd thing to say ;)

Also, the concept of respect is completely bizarre in modern society. There's so many holes in it. It really boils down to, "I have no idea how players in the past handled themselves but I'm going to assume it was like Chris Benoit, bottling their emotions and making everyone pay their dues until they explode in their 40s." Those seem to be the guys everyone respects.

I've always had more respect and support for the Patrick Roy's and Claude Lemieux's that only care about winning than the Wendel Clark's and Don Cherry's who bark about respect and never win anything. I don't watch hockey for respect.

Wendel Clark deserved as much respect, on ice ,as any player I've ever seen. Just because he played for a loser organization doesn't mean he's not a winner. One player can't win a cup.And the FA rules weren't so liberal back then so he was stuck

Teams that win get respect.Outside of Montreal 99% of players and fans respect Chara, Lucic and the Bruins for example,and I do to even though I hate them

Edited by jcc10

Wendel Clark deserved as much respect, on ice ,as any player I've ever seen. Just because he played for a loser organization doesn't mean he's not a winner. One player can't win a cup.And the FA rules weren't so liberal back then so he was stuck

Clark complained about the money the Nordiques were prepared to give him despite the fact he was clearly on what was going to be a powerhouse team in the West and convinced the fresh Avalanche to trade him. It was a three way deal. Who went to Colorado? Claude Lemieux. Who won a Cup with the Avalanche? Claude Lemieux.

Also, Clark loved head shots. Once again, my point about misguided respect.

Teams that win get respect.Outside of Montreal 99% of players and fans respect Chara, Lucic and the Bruins for example,and I do to even though I hate them

who said the habs and their fans dont respect their eternal rivals in boston? i think you can hate a team or player but still respect them. the boston montreal rivalry goes so far back..... our mutual hate for each other is what makes our rivalry what it is. hate and respect are different.

ask all of buffalo, vancouver ottawa and toronto if they hate the bruins just as a small sample size...... your 99% is a tad off

I hate the Bruins and love seeing their fans disappointed. Won't lie that I take enjoyment in seeing their players disappointed or facing setbacks. It's Schadenfreude for me. But yes, I have unquestionable respect for how they have developed their organization. Chiarelli is one of the best GMs in the league. Chara is that damn good. Lucic proved last post-season he comes alive in the playoffs and that's why he deserves his contract. I'll take Gallagher over Marchand but if I started with Marchand I'd be a huge fan. They are a proud organization as they should be.

That all said, the average Habs fan tends to believe the Bruins cheat the rules of the game so I doubt they respect them. It's similar to how people think there's a conspiracy between Pittsburgh and Gary Bettman. It seems like the team with Greg Campbell gets calls to go their way because Colin Campbell runs the calls. It's up to you if you believe that stuff but even then, facts are facts. Boston is probably the best team in the East and have proved it in the past five years more than any other East team. Respect has been earned.

I hate the Bruins and love seeing their fans disappointed. Won't lie that I take enjoyment in seeing their players disappointed or facing setbacks. It's Schadenfreude for me. But yes, I have unquestionable respect for how they have developed their organization. Chiarelli is one of the best GMs in the league. Chara is that damn good. Lucic proved last post-season he comes alive in the playoffs and that's why he deserves his contract. I'll take Gallagher over Marchand but if I started with Marchand I'd be a huge fan. They are a proud organization as they should be.

That all said, the average Habs fan tends to believe the Bruins cheat the rules of the game so I doubt they respect them. It's similar to how people think there's a conspiracy between Pittsburgh and Gary Bettman. It seems like the team with Greg Campbell gets calls to go their way because Colin Campbell runs the calls. It's up to you if you believe that stuff but even then, facts are facts. Boston is probably the best team in the East and have proved it in the past five years more than any other East team. Respect has been earned.

I respect the Boston Bruins organisation, how they built a winning team and how they are competitive almost year in year out.

But there are very few players on this team that I respect and I definitely don't respect their coach.

My reasons:

1. They play a style of hockey that I don't really appreciate;

2. They can't take a clean hard hit without jumping the players who gave it;

3. Claude Julien keeps whinning about everything;

4. Sending their goons when the game is out of hands with 15 seconds to go;

I respect the Boston Bruins organisation, how they built a winning team and how they are competitive almost year in year out.

But there are very few players on this team that I respect and I definitely don't respect their coach.

My reasons:

1. They play a style of hockey that I don't really appreciate;

2. They can't take a clean hard hit without jumping the players who gave it;

3. Claude Julien keeps whinning about everything;

4. Sending their goons when the game is out of hands with 15 seconds to go;

The problem is their goons can not only all play,but they would all make our team and most any in the league. So does that even make them goons ? I think of goons as Laracque,Parros,Shelly and Scott. Even in TO I don't think of Orr and Mclaren as goons,because they play both edns of the ice,and chip in with a couple of goals. I would gladly take either one of them on the Habs. especially after seeing the way Moen played and the parros acquisitions

Those conspiracy theories you read everywhere are just ridiculous

It isn't official yet but here's an article out of London suggesting McCarron will report to the Knights: http://www.lfpress.com/2013/07/09/big-american-michael-mccarron-expected-to-pick-knights-over-ncaa

And one on the Michigan side saying that's news to them (as of 1 PM today): http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2013/07/reports_of_wmu_hockey_freshman.html

Colton Orr and Frazer McLaren have a combined four goals from last season.

SNIPERS THEM BOYS

How many did White,Halpern,Armstrong,Dumont and Moen combine for. Those guys aren't in the league to be snipers. And what they brought to their team was alot more valuable than the 5 Habs i listed.And don't hold your breath on Parros lighting the lamp.

Guest Stogey24

It isn't official yet but here's an article out of London suggesting McCarron will report to the Knights: http://www.lfpress.com/2013/07/09/big-american-michael-mccarron-expected-to-pick-knights-over-ncaa

And one on the Michigan side saying that's news to them (as of 1 PM today): http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2013/07/reports_of_wmu_hockey_freshman.html

That Awesome! Can't wait to see what this kids capable of. My opinion is a little biased, but London is the right decision.

How many did White,Halpern,Armstrong,Dumont and Moen combine for. Those guys aren't in the league to be snipers. And what they brought to their team was alot more valuable than the 5 Habs i listed.And don't hold your breath on Parros lighting the lamp.

All 5 of those players are useful for killing penalties - penalties that crappy players like Orr, McLaren and Parros take because they can barely play hockey.

As for your bolded statement above... enforcers are a dying breed and can't leave the league fast enough, in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

good news is a matter of opinion - I wonder if a year of skating and skills with Andy Murray would have been better. still - London is a great place to go.

May I suggest that we already have P.K. Subban. He even gets under the skin of other teams fans'... !!!!!

yes, you are correct, i was thnking of Avery-Ott type forwards and blanked on PK

good news is a matter of opinion - I wonder if a year of skating and skills with Andy Murray would have been better. still - London is a great place to go.

CHL is simply a faster route to the pros, like Kristo vs a Thomas who has already played full year in AHL and playing twice as much hockey has to be better for development isnt it?